Music in The Fabelmans trailer (Confirmed: Not Williams)

Jay

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Well no?

1 minute ago, BB-8 said:

Nope.

Williams music for The BFG is sissy and annoying... but I asked about the author of the music for the teaser. I would like to crown him as new Maestro of the Movies. 

28 minutes ago, Darth Mulder said:

Williams music for The BFG is sissy and annoying... but I asked about the author of the music for the teaser. I would like to crown him as new Maestro of the Movies. 

...sissy?

29 minutes ago, Darth Mulder said:

...annoying?

50 minutes ago, Darth Mulder said:

Of course! I'm still curious who composed the music for The BFG teaser. That Theme is much better than what we got in the movie. 

Nah.  Even in my days as a card carrying "BFG Hater" I'd still say Williams' theme is a lot more substantial than the trailer music.  

1 minute ago, Gibster said:

A film reviewer who saw it last night

Hmmmm, the kind that would really notice if that was the exact theme used in the film?  Or the kind that would just recognize generally that it was a solo piano in the film and a solo piano in the trailer?

Hmmm I'd still take it as cautious confirmation. People who aren't into film scores often get... confused? Haha. To them things sound "the same" or "close enough" in their brains, often. Not saying he's wrong. Just that he may not be right. ;)

3 hours ago, Falstaft said:

I have it on good authority that, besides the presence of piano, the teaser's music is unrelated to JW's music for the film.

Anything else you can say about the score that you have on good authority? ;)

10 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

Nice photo but what does it have to do with the Fabelmans trailer?

1 hour ago, Falstaft said:

It's very beautiful. And small scale -- the closest thing to a chamber score Williams has written in a long time. 

Oh man I can't wait!

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Nice photo but what does it have to do with the Fabelmans trailer?

If the beginning of the current Fabelmans trailer music (created by Cavalry Music?) is built upon a John Williams phrase then I am tempted to say that it reminds me of Bach/Gounod's Ave Maria and that, if composed by JW, he may have found inspiration when visiting Bach's grave in Leipzig (the nice photo).

3 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

If the beginning of the current Fabelmans trailer music (created by Cavalry Music?) is built upon a John Williams phrase then I am tempted to say that it reminds me of Bach/Gounod's Ave Maria and that, if composed by JW, he may have found inspiration when visiting Bach's grave in Leipzig (the nice photo).

And something along those lines (even if not that piece specifically) would tie in nicely with Spielberg's mother being a classical pianist

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

And something along those lines (even if not that piece specifically) would tie in nicely with Spielberg's mother being a classical pianist

Maybe some of the Fabelmans material will thus end up in the piano concerto for Emanuel Ax?

On 12/09/2022 at 10:04 AM, BB-8 said:

Maybe some of the Fabelmans material will thus end up in the piano concerto for Emanuel Ax?

I bet that concerto is going to be cutting edge, threateningly brutal, and just an overall chopping good time.  

49 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

So, who liked that trailer music to start with, but now doesn't simply because you found out Williams didn't write it? :rolleyes:

The initial melody is pleasant - the middle goes off into generic territory a bit.

I was like "nope" from the moment the trailer music struck my ear.

It's just so a conventional style, like a late 1980s teenager improvisation à la Richard Clayderman.

I am still looking forward to the film, even though there is a risk that it will be corny and full of piano solos.