Film Music Wiki (new film score resource) - editors wanted

enderdrag64

10 hours ago, Roll the Bones said:

Reminds me of the old Scorepedia project:

Oh wow I hadn't ever heard of that. Sad that it didn't grow sucessfully.

Hopefully that isn't a bad sign for my initiative that my two predecessors were both abandoned so quickly

I don't have much time to help with this ambitious effort, but if you haven't thought of these already, it'd be nice to also include the following, where available:

• Scoring session photos/videos
  • Performer listings
  • Technical recording details (mics used, analog/digital, etc.)
  • Recording venues

This is very cool! I wish there was a guide somewhere for me to go through to see which cues get edited for what in the final film mix. This might hurt some of your brains, but I like listening to the scores as they're presented in the film, which includes editing them as well, which can be fun and challenging at the same time. I've done this for a couple of the SW movies(my edits aren't 100% complete), the Indiana Jones movies, Jurassic Park 1-3, Hook, Home Alone 1&2, E.T., Jaws 1-4. I can help with the film edits if you'd like, or if anyone had any questions:)

10 hours ago, Smeltington said:

I wonder if any of our Scorepedia articles still exist somewhere, to be ported in? I remember the Chamber of Secrets score was my pet project over there, it would be cool to see that page resurrected, along with all the rest of the content others contributed.

The last post from the creator of Scorepedia is also the account's last day of activity, so even though the account's last message says that the database files were backed up for transferring to a different site I'm not sure if they're still available for contact

However, it does look like archive.org has most of the pages archived (including Chamber of Secrets), but I'm not sure how complete of a backup it is though.

Well, at least we can get the content through archive.org. Maybe some of us who worked on Scorepedia articles could copy our content over.

How easy would it be to move the fandom.com wiki to some other webhost? I'm thinking about future proofing, plus the number of ads over there is a bit distracting, so it would be nice to know if all our work is tied up in that platform or not.

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

How easy would it be to move the fandom.com wiki to some other webhost? I'm thinking about future proofing, plus the number of ads over there is a bit distracting, so it would be nice to know if all our work is tied up in that platform or not.

I'm not really sure about the difficulty of making a wiki site from scratch/on another platform, but transferring off of Fandom is pretty easy, everything is Creative Commons so you can copy/modify all of it as long as you credit the authors/link to the original.

Personally I use an adblocker so I've never had any problems with the site, but if that's really a common concern we could look into alternatives I guess

2 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

everything is Creative Commons so you can copy/modify all of it as long as you credit the authors/link to the original.

Well that's good. I'm also wondering if it would be possible from a technical standpoint, because if the project is successful there will be too much content to easily copy each page over manually.

2 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

Personally I use an adblocker so I've never had any problems with the site, but if that's really a common concern we could look into alternatives I guess

I do think it would make the site feel more legitimate and user-friendly, although the alternative may be paid hosting.

56 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Well that's good. I'm also wondering if it would be possible from a technical standpoint, because if the project is successful there will be too much content to easily copy each page over manually.

Sites have done it before. I'm not sure how they did it exactly but there's probably a way to automate the process

41 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

Why not deposit the data in a more durable library, https://www.wikipedia.org/ ?

The concern I'd have over putting it on Wikipedia is their sourcing requirements. Wikipedia has very strict policies about attributing information and referencing valid sources. As I'm sure most of you know, much of our available information about various scores come from either session leaks or sheet music scans that aren't easily (or legally) available on the surface web. I ran into problems with this when I wanted to add more accurate information about the star wars scores to Wookieepedia (the star wars fandom wiki), they wouldn't allow many of my edits because I was citing "unpublished" sources - unpublished meaning not available to the general public. And Wookieepedia's policies are taken almost verbatim from Wikipedia.

The other obstacle with Wikipedia is their No Original Research rule - pretty much any kind of score analysis or thematic breakdown that doesn't stem from some other site count as original research.

By running an independent film music wiki we can avoid these issues because we can create our own rules

19 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

Good to know! I wonder how they did it.

Everything you said about the drawbacks of Wikipedia makes sense. It's sounding like this might need to be hosted independently one day, but maybe having it on Fandom is appropriate in the beginning when there's no way to get funds for hosting.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Drew said:

Wikipedia's sourcing requirements have made me angry so many times. I can't count how many times I added information that was completely factual, only for it to be deleted by a page-watcher who accused me of "original research". Because obviously, every fact about soundtracks will be published by reputable sources? Of course not!

I remember trying to update information on the Spotted Hyena article using the Ngorongoro Crater Hyena Project's website as a source, only to havw my edits reverted by someone who claimed my information came from an "unreliable source" despite the fact the Ngorongoro Crater Hyena Project literally study hyenas out in the wild, which makes them 100% a reliable source. I mean, how much more reliable can you get than actual scientists?

On 14/09/2022 at 8:52 AM, Smeltington said:

Well, at least we can get the content through archive.org. Maybe some of us who worked on Scorepedia articles could copy our content over.

Re-upping this because of some recent news:

I sometimes pop in on the Wookieepedia Discord server from time to time, today I just saw the baffling news that one of the oldest admins and bureaucrats just got perma-banned with no warning for ridiculous reasons. He had a personal wiki with an archive of the old Wookieepedia IRC chat on it which contained some messages that were supposedly seriously offensive - what those messages were I don't know, and it honestly doesn't matter. The point is they weren't even his own words, the archive had been up for several years (and the contents of it were more than a decade old), and he was never contacted or asked to take them down (which he says he would have had he been asked) - the first he heard that it was a problem was the message informing him he was to be perma-banned. Most of the users there don't agree with the decision but there's nothing they can do.

Add to that I heard just a week or two ago the Zelda wiki just left Fandom as well. This idea is starting to seem more and more appealing. The main problems are finding a different host and paying for server costs when there's zero traffic. There's also the fact that finding editors is hard enough as it is, one or two people can't create an entire wiki from scratch by themselves. It's one thing to move an established userbase somewhere else where at least some of the people will move to a new site, it's quite another to build from the ground up where you're unlikely to get much traffic at all

14 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

I sometimes pop in on the Wookieepedia Discord server from time to time, today I just saw the baffling news that one of the oldest admins and bureaucrats just got perma-banned with no warning for ridiculous reasons. He had a personal wiki with an archive of the old Wookieepedia IRC chat on it which contained some messages that were supposedly seriously offensive - what those messages were I don't know, and it honestly doesn't matter. The point is they weren't even his own words, the archive had been up for several years (and the contents of it were more than a decade old), and he was never contacted or asked to take them down (which he says he would have had he been asked) - the first he heard that it was a problem was the message informing him he was to be perma-banned. Most of the users there don't agree with the decision but there's nothing they can do.

Add to that I heard just a week or two ago the Zelda wiki just left Fandom as well. This idea is starting to seem more and more appealing. The main problems are finding a different host and paying for server costs when there's zero traffic. There's also the fact that finding editors is hard enough as it is, one or two people can't create an entire wiki from scratch by themselves. It's one thing to move an established userbase somewhere else where at least some of the people will move to a new site, it's quite another to build from the ground up where you're unlikely to get much traffic at all

So, they pretty much perma-banned the guy for literally no reason? 

19 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

I saw their instagram post yesterday and was so confused as to what it was related to. No one in the comments knew either. Strange.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Super late to this topic but I still have the backups from Scorepedia and also registered scorepedia.org again. If there is any interest I'd gladly hand over the files and can also help with setting up a server.

3 hours ago, Marcus Stöhr said:

Super late to this topic but I still have the backups from Scorepedia and also registered scorepedia.org again. If there is any interest I'd gladly hand over the files and can also help with setting up a server.

Woah that could be awesome. Only problem is growing editor/visitor interest on a unique domain