Netflix's The Imperfects

HyenaBoy

I've noticed there hasn't been a thread for this series, yet, so I decided to start one. Feel free to share your thoughts on the series, here (including opinions, theories, head-cannon, etc). Discussions about the show as a whole, individual episodes and characters are always welcome, of course.

In my personal opinion, this is a prerty good series with some interesting characters. (A "werebeast" and mad scientists are always a plus in my books, as well, and this show has both those things). My only flaw is that Juan's chupacabra form doesn't really get a lot of screentime, and how the powers of Abbi and Tilda seem to get more priority in the show over Juan's.

8 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Never heard of it. When I saw the title I thought it was a completely different show until I looked it up

You should check it out (provided you have Netflix, of course)

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

What do you think of the show's score?

It does seem quite good. One downside is that it hasn't been released/leaked in any way, meaning I can't listen to it outside of the show 

51 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

What is the show about?

Three young adults (around 20 years old) were given an experimental "cure" in order to, well, cure them of a fictional condition known as "AGDS". However, the three protagonists started to develop strange side effects (a Mexican graphic novelist involuntarily transforms into a chupacabra whenever he sees someone he cares about is in danger, a punk/pop singer gains banshee-esque powers and super-hearing, and a scientist has heightened pheromones that cause people to become attracted to her just by being near her). In order to get "fixed" (cured of their side effects), they have to track down the mad scientist responsible for their problems.

20 minutes ago, HyenaBoy said:

Three young adults (around 20 years old) were given an experimental "cure" in order to, well, cure them of a fictional condition known as "AGDS". However, the three protagonists started to develop strange side effects (a Mexican graphic novelist involuntarily transforms into a chupacabra whenever he sees someone he cares about is in danger, a punk/pop singer gains banshee-esque powers and super-hearing, and a scientist has heightened pheromones that cause people to become attracted to her just by being near her). In order to get "fixed" (cured of their side effects), they have to track down the mad scientist responsible for their problems.

Sounds pretty fun. Will add it to the watchlist on Netflix.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

You should. 

And here's the chupacabra, if you're interested:

Feo5F4gWAAEQGyG.jpg

22 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

See? There's a good question.

This thread is becoming the JEANNIE DIELMAN of television.

What do you mean by "the Jeannie Dielman of television"?

23 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

What do you think of the show's score?

I do wish the score got a release, already. (Probably won't do, any time soon. But I have no doubt it will leak sometime in the future).

39 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

For the answer to this, you need to head over to the "Jeannie Dielman" thread :)

Will do, at some point. Also, do you think starting this thread was a good idea?

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

If someone thinks that a subject is worth discussing, then, "yes", this thread was a good idea.

Having said that, no-one knows how the thread will develop.

That's the case with all threads, really, is it not?

10 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Of course it is! That's the risk that we all take, when we create a new thread :)

And, of course, I imagine there are no doubt some people on this site who have watched the show.

I do love the chupacabra in the series, as well. (In case you haven't guessed, already). And it's also something I don't think has been done, before.

As for the premise of the show: I think it's quite good, as well. And it manages to be fairly dark at times, and lighthearted and comedic at others, which is a good balance, IMO. 

The characters are also portrayed quite well by their actors (even though most of the actors aren't really well-known. But Netflix seem quite good at hiring lesser-known actors), and they also get some character development (the character of Juan Ruiz seems to get the most development, especially in episode 4).

On 04/12/2022 at 10:44 AM, Mr. Who said:

The only downside: Netflix (being Netflix) decided to cancel it after one season. 

4 hours ago, HyenaBoy said:

The only downside: Netflix (being Netflix) decided to cancel it after one season. 

That really sucks, hate when studios don’t finish a story. Does it end on a cliffhanger?

37 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

That really sucks, hate when studios don’t finish a story. Does it end on a cliffhanger?

Yep. I am working on a fan-fic that follows on from said cliffhanger, though.

Not sure why studios do that, either, tbh. It would be like if JK Rowling decided to stop writing Harry Potter after "Goblet of Fire". Netflix really need to learn what a "conclusion" is. 

I've seen people say that it was cancelled because it didn't get a lot of viewers. Last I checked, Netflix has millions of viewers on their platform, so that's pretty much a lie.

And another thing: the score hasn't been released in any capacity.

9 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Are there any particular highlights from the score you'd care to share?  Any moments where the music stood out in a really good way? :)

There is one time in episode 4 were one of the main protagonists attacks a government agent (by biting off his nose, ouch) to protect his (the protagonists) niece after the government agent tries to interrogate said protagonist. The music in that scene is fairly good, I think.

Said protagonist also happens to be my current profile pic.

Their marketing must have been dreadful for this, since I’m only hearing about it now, after it’s been aired and canceled!

Seems like there are certain shows they shove down your throat every time you open the app, whether you want to watch them or not (Stranger Things, Wednesday, etc etc)

18 hours ago, mstrox said:

Their marketing must have been dreadful for this, since I’m only hearing about it now, after it’s been aired and canceled!

Seems like there are certain shows they shove down your throat every time you open the app, whether you want to watch them or not (Stranger Things, Wednesday, etc etc)

Whoever's in charge of marketing for Netflix is clearly incompetent (or just lazy).

Netflix need to learn to market ALL their shows/films, not just the "popular" ones. If they want people to watch their shows, then they need to advertise them and let people know they exist.

21 hours ago, mstrox said:

Another question I'd love to ask is: how the heck are we supposed to know what happens after the cliffhanger ending? 

Like, they expect us to somehow know what happens without showing us what happens next.

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, AlannahHartman said:

Sorry for bumping into an old conversation! First off, kudos for bringing up The Imperfects!  Somehow, this show totally slipped under my radar, and I'm all about those hidden gems on Netflix. Your take on the series has me curious, and I might just give it a go. It's a bummer to hear it got canceled after the first season, though.

What is it with Netflix cancelling everything? If they keep up like this, they won't have any shows left to continue.