Jerry Goldsmith’s RUDY (1993) – 2022 Varese Sarabande Deluxe Edition

SyncMan

Here's the link for the contest by the way:

https://indianapolissymphonyorchestra.formstack.com/forms/rudy_in_concert_giveaway

Oh and for anyone who cares, here's the cover I've been using for the bootleg. I don't remember who made it, but it was probably someone on FSM or Squid-board.

folder.png

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

30 minutes of unreleased music? 

Well they claim that it's a 67 minute album with 30 minutes of new music and that checks out since the OST was 37 minutes. It also means we're getting about 17 minutes of music that wasn't on the isolated score!

15 hours ago, Jay said:

30 minutes of unreleased music? 

Not exactly. It’s more like a quarter hour of previously unreleased score (including a few short cues which weren’t used in the film and therefore weren’t on the DVD isolated score track!), plus a couple of choral source cues.

Three cues are presented twice, as film versions and original album versions, accounting for the extra time. But it’s hard to tell the difference IMO (probably just ever so slightly different takes), apart from “The Key” having an added 22 second cue in front of it for the main film program.

Still a great and worthwhile expansion of a very important Goldsmith score!

Yavar

Exciting expansion!

Yavar, did Bruce Botnick work on this expanded album? I know he's done work on a few other Goldsmith expansions in recent years. (You may not be authorized to tell us, which is okay!)

BTW, loved the Goldsmith Odyssey episode covering Goldsmith at 20th Vol. 5! 

27 minutes ago, Chris Shaneyfelt said:

Exciting expansion!

Yavar, did Bruce Botnick work on this expanded album? I know he's done work on a few other Goldsmith expansions in recent years. (You may not be authorized to tell us, which is okay!)

Well I can honestly tell you: I don't know! But he only has a "recorded and mixed by" credit in the album booklet, for whatever that's worth.

28 minutes ago, Chris Shaneyfelt said:

BTW, loved the Goldsmith Odyssey episode covering Goldsmith at 20th Vol. 5! 

I'm glad! One of our most popular Spotlights (or really, any sort of episode) *ever* ... makes me very optimistic that this will be a good seller for LLL.

Yavar

Indianapolis Symphony did nothing premature at all.  They are in the middle of running a contest that ends tomorrow for a free copy.  The announcement went up when it was supposed to.

As for iTunes, it's already Friday in Australian, New Zealand, and many other countries now, so in all those countries, you can legally buy it on digital platforms.

Ooooooh. I have no idea what's missing. I haven't seen this film in almost 30 years. But I listen to the original album on the regular.

Tryouts is just the best. Waiting is pretty darn good too. So is Back on the Field!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Indianapolis Symphony did nothing premature at all.  They are in the middle of running a contest that ends tomorrow for a free copy.  The announcement went up when it was supposed to.

As for iTunes, it's already Friday in Australian, New Zealand, and many other countries now, so in all those countries, you can legally buy it on digital platforms.

So going straight to digital?! Have to admit that with the demise of their international store and the excruciating cost of postage, I'll be happy to pick this up digitally... plus I won't have to wait!

Almost all of Varese's Deluxe Edition go up for sale digitally.

The physical CD edition with liner notes by Tim Greiving will go on sale just under 21 hours from now.

16 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

So going straight to digital?! Have to admit that with the demise of their international store and the excruciating cost of postage, I'll be happy to pick this up digitally... plus I won't have to wait!

I'd happily accept this as a substitute for the int'l store closing.

I won't be buying this, but in a general sense I don't care about having to wait for the actual CD to arrive if I can just listen to the music in the meantime.

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Well I can honestly tell you: I don't know! But he only has a "recorded and mixed by" credit in the album booklet, for whatever that's worth.

I'm glad! One of our most popular Spotlights (or really, any sort of episode) *ever* ... makes me very optimistic that this will be a good seller for LLL.

Yavar

Thank you, Yavar! 

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Yea, fuck Tim Grieving and his liner notes, I guess

It certainly would be nice if Varese made digital booklets available with digital music purchase. It’s prohibitively expensive for people outside the US to have the CD shipped to them, even if they do prefer physical media.

Yavar

I just realised the last speciality release I got from any of the labels was HTTYD 2 back in March. Then I have to go back pretty much a year to my last bunch of purchases. I'd imagine when the next one happens that I want, the shipping cost will be a rather unpleasant surprise.

50 minutes ago, Jay said:

Almost all of Varese's Deluxe Edition go up for sale digitally.

The physical CD edition with liner notes by Tim Greiving will go on sale just under 21 hours from now.

I know most have eventually, but usually it's a few weeks/months later from what I recall (and not always) but great that it's a simultaneous digital release.

It is massively annoying about the liner notes though. If all the various online classical stores can provide them, I really don't see why they can't be available for soundtrack releases, even if they were just in PDF from Varese's (or whoever's) own site. Ah well.

1 minute ago, Richard Penna said:

I think that if they went into more detail on alternates and bonus tracks and exactly what was different about them (and perhaps what editorial/creative changes made them necessary), I'd be more interested, but they usually don't.

YES

A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one. I understand where those who criticise it as a late career Goldsmith without his usual sophistication and instead lots of pathos come from, but I don't agree with them. Yes, it's a conceptually "lighter" score, but it's wonderful nonetheless - Goldsmith in semi-Barry mode may not quite reach the melodic heights of pure Barry, but is usually more of lasting interest to me. Stuff like Tryouts is just as good as it gets as far as refined elegance is concerned. Granted, the best version overall may have been the concert suite performed by the LSO in 2001 (the choir can easily be just one step too much, and the purely orchestral version was sublime), but I can still get in the mood for the cheesy choir version on most days. Very happy to get this - even more so because my current copy came with the DVD, which means that I have an original copy, but no jewel case cover to go with it.

I honestly think 'Tryouts' is my favorite Goldsmith cue.

Rudy, while the movie is just a sopping wet cliche, was one of the first movies as a kid that I realized the score could be an integral part of the experience (that wasn't John Williams of course)

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea, fuck Tim Grieving and his liner notes, I guess

Yeah all these digital releases should come with the booklet. And LLL should join this decade and start doing digital releases too.

14 minutes ago, Holko said:

Intrada and Varese can.

You're making a blanket statement and missing the nuance of the differences between different situations

If a specialty label is granted a license from a film studio for the unreleased tracks and a music label for the released tracks to make a new album that expands a score, the only license the entities give them is for a limited run of physical CDs and that is it.  They do not grant the specialty label rights to sell it digitally.

With Varese, when expanded scores they have perpetuity rights to, they ARE the music label, so already have the rights to sell the music on digital platforms, including the newly licensed music from the film studio.  So this is why many Deluxe editions show up on digital retailers.

With Intrada, it's the same thing, the ones they have up for sale are the ones they already have the music rights to to begin with, like Inchon or their own re-recordings (Rio Conchos, Black Patch, Ivanhoe, etc).  They occasionally get rights to some scores that had an OST album on another label for unknown reasons, but this is like 1% of their output.

Just now, Jay said:

With Intrada, it's the same thing, the ones they have up for sale are the ones they already have the music rights to to begin with, like Inchon or their own re-recordings (Rio Conchos, Black Patch, Ivanhoe, etc).  They occasionally get rights to some scores that had an OST album on another label for unknown reasons, but this is like 1% of their output.

And then the situation where Disney's music label can release Intrada assemblies digitally on their own.  I'm guessing Intrada sees none of that digital sales/streaming revenue?

Oh yea, tons of albums that came out on physical CD by a specialty label have their same programs up on streaming sites but released by the film studio; These are cases where the film studio already owns all the rights because it never had an OST album (Superman IV, The Public Eye, etc), or where the music label that owns the rights is actually owned by the film studio anyway (IE Disney Records & Disney the film company)

And yea in those cases the specialty label would see absolutely none of that revenue.  The digital masters of the albums the specialty labels assemble get sent to the music label and film studio and some day if different rights issues are determined they could release them themselves without having to pay the specialty label; They already own the music!

This score is a really unusual case for me: I absolutely love it, and yet I think the OST is enough for me. I think I tried listening to a version with additional material for a while and I actually preferred the shorter program on the OST. So I might not pick this one up, oddly enough. But as always...glad it's getting an expanded release!