THR: Warner Bros. Discovery might be combined with NBCUniversal

Edmilson

Heavily in-debt, Warner Bros may be sold to Comcast and combined with NBCUniversal, according to The Hollywood Reporter

Given the company’s daunting challenges, it has become accepted wisdom at the highest levels of the industry that another deal waits in the wings for Warner Bros. Discovery. For reasons related to the complicated structure of that merger, no negotiations can happen until April 2024. But at that point, many industry observers believe that Comcast’s Brian Roberts will make a long-awaited move, looking to combine NBCUniversal and Warner Bros. Discovery.

That deal would face some interesting antitrust issues but would give his company scale and a viable streaming service. “Obviously Peacock sucks,” says one exec with knowledge of both companies. “There are some good synergies. I’m sure [Roberts] is licking his chops because the [WBD] stock is so low. And I think that’s Zaslav’s endgame. Get the place sold.” (Roberts and NBCU CEO Jeff Shell met with Zaslav and board member John Malone during the Allen & Co. gathering in Sun Valley last July, but given the rules against plotting any combination, that was no doubt just a friendly get-together.) A WBD spokesperson responds: “We are building Warner Bros. Discovery for the long term.” 

Many top industry execs are so convinced a deal will happen that some are pre-mourning an event that may never happen. “People feel like it’s Comcast for sure,” says the head of one company. “It’s going to be so depressing to lose another major studio [after Disney bought Fox]. And Warners was the Tiffany studio.”

Of course an obituary is premature. Maybe Warners will do a deal with Comcast, maybe not. Meanwhile, Zaslav continues his quest to find a DC superhero, but it seems possible that, eventually, De Luca and Pam Abdy — now acting heads of the division — will end up running the thing by default. De Luca was a comic book collector as a kid, and years ago, at New Line, he made Blade and even had an Iron Man movie in development. (A source says Bob Shaye, the New Line chief at the time, let the option lapse, arguing that it didn’t make sense because Iron Man was too heavy to fly.) “Mike was championing and scratching at the surface of this comic book universe long before it became the only thing that anybody is interested in seeing,” says one longtime associate. 

Given the importance of DC, it appears the top filmmakers operating in that world — Matt Reeves, Phillips and Andy Muschietti — will be shielded from that sharp Wiedenfels knife. One agent with business at the studio says De Luca and Abdy are talent-friendly, decisive and a vast improvement from when the studio sat under AT&T and Jason Kilar. “From where I sit,” he says, “it is night and fucking day from before.” 

Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/warner-bros-discovery-has-bigger-problems-than-its-dc-search-1235221804/

• 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Does that mean  256 Looney Tunes cartoons and 3 seasons of the flintstones  are now considered "racist"?

No, license expired essentially

In the end, it's just another cost-cutting measure by Zaslav that have been plaguing Warner Bros since it was sold to Discovery. After all, he needs to save money to invest in all of those James Gunn DC movies.

6 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

We have any billionaires on this board?

I am. I mean, once I invent the first ever time machine, I'll have a lot of money! BTW, does anyone know how to build a time machine?

Just a reminder that Warner Music Group separated out of WB back in 2004 and was never a part of Warner Discovery; This would be a sale of the music rights that WB has themselves, so basically albums that came out on WaterTower Records

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Just a reminder that Warner Music Group separated out of WB back in 2004 and was never a part of Warner Discovery; This would be a sale of the music rights that WB has themselves, so basically albums that came out on WaterTower Records

Yes, that's the part most relevant to film music enthusiasts, no?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

So in other words, this could either result in no change, or more expansions, since WB/WaterTower doesn't have a great track record of allowing them

I dunno, the actual elements would still be in WB picture's vaults, so I dunno how it would work with licensing.

Like now if LLL wants to do an expansion of a score from a WB film that had an OST album owned by WMG, they'd be 3 parties in the contract, LLL, WMG, and WBPictures.  If some 4th entity owns the music rights, but WBPictures owns the music, how would it all work?  I have no idea.

21 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It'd be nice to read the article about this but I ain't gonna subscribe to the Financial Times and I don't see any other outlet reporting this?

There is more reporting on it as of this morning. Didn’t realize there was a paywall. The article loaded fine for me when I got the link. 

• 4 weeks later...