Restored Isolated Score: Willow

Holko

AWESOME!  I cannot wait to find time to watch this!

One of my favorite Horner scores, and I just rewatched the film for the first time since I was a kid a few months ago.  It's interesting to read how much the film was re-edited after scoring in your main post!

Give this guy a medal! Terrific work! Really looking forward to hearing “Airk’s Army” with the footage.

EDIT: 

Wow. Its amazing how that “noble military motif” (dont know the actual name) warms up that scene in Airk’s Army. The film version with the looped drum beat gives off a much more austere and uncertain vibe. You don’t know if the approaching army is good or bad. If Airk is an enemy or ally. But Horner let’s us know (really quietly) after a bit of suspense that these are good guys. Terrific musical story telling! I don’t mind either approach. 😊

• 2 weeks later...

This is amazing, but it would help if you laid out what the material is. Is this alternative or rejected score, or something else? I am missing the context for these videos, and apologies if they are somewhere obvious.

I'm a little surprised you seemingly aren't aware of isolated scores (which is just the music in film separated from the SFX and dialogue).

Given the Intrada release is missing some minor bits, these effectively function more as the originally written music being put on to the footage instead of what's been edited for the final cut.

5 hours ago, thestat said:

This is amazing, but it would help if you laid out what the material is. Is this alternative or rejected score, or something else? I am missing the context for these videos, and apologies if they are somewhere obvious.

It's just the score as written, with no film dialing out or edits or replacements, showing how it was originally supposed to line up/makes it the only focus without the dialogue and sound effects. Same goes for all tgreads with the same Restored Isolated Score title, we always show alternates too where possible, Willow just has none.

In contrast, most videos you'd find on YT that look similar work on getting as close to the final film edit and mix as possible, removing material and terrible edits included.

I feel like some formatting would help make things a bit clearer, bolding the titles, added quotes (") where needed.

Something like this:

On 19/09/2022 at 2:21 AM, Holko said:

1m1 Elora Danan

2m5 Death Dogs
3m1 Willow's Farewell
- The second half of the cue was edited down and the ending tracked over.
3m2 Bavmorda's Castle
3m3 Willow's Journey Begins
4m2 Airk's Army
- First half tracked over, missing out for example on the great bit of the cold military music softening into a Willow theme as Airk recognises Madmartigan.

4m3 The Enchanted Forest - I had to shorten the footage with the brownie flying the bird.
4m? Dust of Broken Hearts
5m2 Madmartigan's Escape

6m? Magic Wand
6m3 The Island
6m? Fin Raziel
7m0 Willow Captured
7m1 Arrival At Snow Camp

7m2-3/8m1 The Sled Ride - There's a small microedit near the end.
8m2 Canyon of Mazes - The travel montage was shortened a bit in the film.
9m1 Tir Asleen Pt.1
9m2 Tir Asleen Pt.2
- The two cues are joined a bit more tightly in the film than on the album. There's a slight microedit around the dragon's death that I decided to bridge rather than leave black.
10m1 Bavmorda's Spell is Cast - Had to shorten a shot of Willow struggling to cast the spell.
11m1/1 Battle of Nockmar - When Sorsha fights the guards, the footage is way too much for the music, I chose to separate the music into two there instead of somehow editing the scene down. I had to remove some shots before the sorceress duel begins, and also a reaction shot from Fin Raziel which cut the shot of Bavmorda pretending to be dead in half.
12m1/2 Death of Bavmorda - There's a microedit around Bavmorda struggling with the acorn. Bavmorda's death and its immediate aftermath is a mess, had to remove many shots, especially reactions mostly from Sorsha. Is it possible the album master edits out a portion here?
12m3/4 Willow - End Titles - The film shortens The Nelwyns' reprise heavily.

Oops, seems like I forgot to make slates and titles italic like I usually do. I just wrote it in notepad while waiting forever for drive to process the videos and was happy to finally copypaste the text. Where would you put quotes?

8 minutes ago, Roll the Bones said:

Something like this:

Yes, I understand, you can remove that loadslower now :lol:

9 hours ago, Holko said:

Where would you put quotes?

I was thinking if you mention a cue inside one of your descriptions like:

The Big Ass Battle Cue - in this one the big statement of the theme from "The Small Ass Opening Titles" was cut.

But you didn't, so the quotes suggestion doesn't apply here