John Williams has been awarded an honorary knighthood

Dzadza

Wouldn't he travel to London to receive the Knighthood, only receiving it from King Charles instead?

Still, what an incredible honour! And perfectly fitting when you consider John's legacy with music recorded in England.

Tremendous shame he couldn't receive it from the Queen while she was alive.

47 minutes ago, Damien F said:

I wonder does this increase the chances that he will make a return trip to London to conduct the LSO after having to cancel previously due to health issues.

One of my first thoughts. 

Still, it is Daily Fail as well...

In any case, pretty cool if true. :)

Karol

If true we can hope for some coronation music, Symphony No. 2, and a return to London.

Rise...Sir Towner!

4 hours ago, Drew said:

Only British nationals can be called Sir, but I will call him that anyway.

Yeah, I think Bill Gates and Spielberg have these kind of knighthoods.

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

Wouldn't he travel to London to receive the Knighthood, only receiving it from King Charles instead?

Still, what an incredible honour! And perfectly fitting when you consider John's legacy with music recorded in England.

Tremendous shame he couldn't receive it from the Queen while she was alive.

I don’t think honorary recipients visit the Palace?  Delighted if I’ve remembered that wrongly.

Either way, this is terrific news if this gets confirmed.  As others have said, even though not technically correct - Arise, Sir Johnny! 

43 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

The Towner of London! 

Guy Fawkes

1 hour ago, GlastoEls said:

I don’t think honorary recipients visit the Palace?  Delighted if I’ve remembered that wrongly.

Either way, this is terrific news if this gets confirmed.  As others have said, even though not technically correct - Arise, Sir Johnny! 

But he should have got this honor far earlier in his career.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_John_Williams,_1st_Baronet,_of_the_City_of_London

Sir_John_Williams,_1st_Baronet.jpg

14 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

If this is indeed true, shouldn't there be some way to get reliable (i.e. non Daily Mail) confirmation for this?

I'm no fan of The Daily Heil either, so...

Star Wars Composer John Williams ‘Knighted By Queen’ In Final Honours – Deadline

John Williams can look back at such great achievements. He doesn't rely on an old lady telling him, that he is special. From all the honors, he received in the past years this one probably means the least. But of course it is a nice gesture.

12 minutes ago, Cindylover1969 said:

I saw that, but it cites the Daily Mail as its source (and nothing else).

13 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

John Williams can look back at such great achievements. He doesn't rely on an old lady telling him, that he is special. From all the honors, he received in the past years this one probably means the least. But of course it is a nice gesture.

I can kind of see your point.  However, this "old lady" is the same generation as Williams and has been a part of his political backdrop going back to his youth.  

Andre Previn and JW's dear friend Spielberg have been awarded Honorary knighthood before. Though he will not be able to add "Sir" before his name but nonetheless a well deserved recognition on his marvelous career and his achievement in defining pop culture and making great music. 

As far as I know, no British composer working primarily in the field of film, TV and visual media has been awarded knighthood. Debbie Wiseman, Rachel Portman and the late John Barry are all recipients of Order of Brisith Empire and hence can add OBE after their names. 

That's the coolest thing. It's not just an OBE, it's a KBE. If it were an OBE, it would mean far less, since so many artists have it.

Interesting that Bob Iger also gets it. I wonder whether the two getting honorary knighthood stems from the same behind the scenes conversations.

3 hours ago, JW collector said:

A tremendous and well-deserved honor, made more impactful due to it being the final honors given by the Queen before her passing.

Welcome...to the club!

image.png.23af58bf0b4a7abc1484551678d7008c.png

Spielberg got his KBE in 2001.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_honorary_British_knights_and_dames

Considering JW's impact on the UK film industry with the LSO back in the 70's/80's, I think this KBE is overdue.