John Williams has been awarded an honorary knighthood

Dzadza

1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

"John, help me take this crown off.”

“But you’ll die!”

“Nothing can stop that now. Just for once, let me look on you with my own eyes.”

“Now I am King!”

IYKYK😉

Yo, Johnny!

All congrats on your honourary knighthood, dude!

As you haven't given a single public performance of your own music in the UK, since July 4th, 1998, perhaps you could use getting done by Charlie boy, to plan a concert, with the L.S.O., at, either, Barbican, or the Royal Albert Hall?

Wha' d'ya say?

Signed,

A patient fan

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yo, Johnny!

All congrats on your honourary knighthood, dude!

As you haven't given a single public performance of your own music in the UK, since July 4th, 1998, perhaps you could use getting done by Charlie boy, to plan a concert, with the L.S.O., at, either, Barbican, or the Royal Albert Hall?

Wha' d'ya say?

Signed,

A patient fan

I am curious at how they will deal with this, but I think usually honorary knighthoods of foreign individuals are given in ceremonies held in local British consulates and not at the Palace. When they gave it to Spielberg in 2001, it was done at the British embassy in Washington D.C.

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

usually honorary knighthoods of foreign individuals are given in ceremonies held in local British consulates and not at the Palace

You are correct that this is usual practice, for reasons of convenience to the recipient.

However, the monarch can give honours at his or her pleasure, so (in my understanding) there would be nothing stopping JW’s people requesting the honour be bestowed by the monarch in person at a Royal Palace in the UK. Whilst he’s here, I’m sure the LSO would give their collective right arms to play under him one more time, so that would be at least one open door they’d be pushing on. Surely this is too good an opportunity not to at least ask…

Mark

11 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

You are correct that this is usual practice, for reasons of convenience to the recipient.

However, the monarch can give honours at his or her pleasure, so (in my understanding) there would be nothing stopping JW’s people requesting the honour be bestowed by the monarch in person at a Royal Palace in the UK. Whilst he’s here, I’m sure the LSO would give their collective right arms to play under him one more time, so that would be at least one open door they’d be pushing on. Surely this is too good an opportunity not to at least ask…

Mark

King Charles and John Williams are both environmentalists and should avoid flying around the globe just to fetch a piece of paper. ;-)

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

John Williams is joining such luminaries as Kevin Spacey and Rudy Giuliani in this honor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_honorary_Knights_and_Dames_of_the_Order_of_the_British_Empire

And Plácido Domingo...

the three tenors tenor GIF

On 26/9/2022 at 7:55 PM, BB-8 said:

avoid flying around the globe just to fetch a piece of paper

Firstly, that’s an excellent reason to combine it with a concert and secondly… a piece of paper? It’s a knighthood, not a driving license!

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

John Williams is joining such luminaries as Kevin Spacey and Rudy Giuliani in this honor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_honorary_Knights_and_Dames_of_the_Order_of_the_British_Empire

oof-old-man.gif

• 1 year later...

My understanding is that non-UK citizens can’t use the pre-nominal ‘Sir’ but can use the post-nominal KBE.

So, I regret to say that he is not Sir John Williams, but he is John Williams KBE. Unless he applies for, and gets, UK citizenship, in which case he’d become Sir John overnight.

Mark

(...) for services to Film Music and London Symphony Orchestra. (...)

Here is the question if they specifically honored only the popular ones with the LSO, i.e. Star Wars 1-6, Superman, Raiders and eventually the second Harry Potter. Or they mean the complete discography of John Williams/LSO? The lesser known works such as The Fury, Dracula and Monsignor.

1 hour ago, QuartalHarmony said:

My understanding is that non-UK citizens can’t use the pre-nominal ‘Sir’ but can use the post-nominal KBE

This is (partially) correct.

Only people born in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or The Commonwealth can be called "Sir", or "Dame".

1 hour ago, ckappes said:

Or they mean the complete discography of John Williams/LSO? The lesser known works such as The Fury, Dracula and Monsignor.

... and JANE EYRE, and FIDDLER ON THE ROOF.

1 hour ago, QuartalHarmony said:

So, I regret to say that he is not Sir John Williams, but he is John Williams KBE. Unless he applies for, and gets, UK citizenship, in which case he’d become Sir John overnight.

No, he'd be Sir John Williams.

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Only people born in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or The Commonwealth can be called "Sir", or "Dame".

Sir Andras Schiff was born in Hungary, so that can't be right.

He was born in 1953, became a naturalised British citizen in 2001 and was knighted in 2014. He has been referred to consistently as Sir Andras Schiff ever since.

39 minutes ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Sir Andras Schiff was born in Hungary, so that can't be right.

Sir András Schiff has dual Austrian and British citizenship. According to his Wikipedia page, he was created a Knight Bachelor in the Queen's Birthday Honours list of 2014, for services to music.

12 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Unless he applies for, and gets, UK citizenship, in which case he’d become Sir John overnight.

Correct. 

I would love for JW and the LSO to reschedule their concert at the Royal Albert Hall that he had to pull out of due to illness a few years ago. I'm surprised he didn't make a detour during one of his recent European visits.

4 minutes ago, Damien F said:

I would love for JW and the LSO to reschedule their concert at the Royal Albert Hall that he had to pull out of due to illness a few years ago. I'm surprised he didn't make a detour during one of his recent European visits.

That is a bit of mystery, yes, but I'm guessing there are all kinds of logistics involved.

15 minutes ago, Damien F said:

I'm surprised he didn't make a detour during one of his recent European visits.

He may have some very bad memories about that trip. And who knows maybe he’s superstitious and doesn’t want to risk getting ill again by returning to the place where he had to be taken to the hospital…

So pleased that our late Queen Elizabeth 2nd honoured John Williams with this knighthood and was one of the very last things she signed off on before she died.

Sir John Williams KBE - well done maestro!! 
And I don’t care, being a Brit as far as I’m concerned,  he deserves to have Sir before his name because he has said many a time that he is a true Anglophile .

I just hope that he gets the opportunity to get back to the U.K. and give a workout to the LSO because I feel in no uncertain terms , and I’m sure Sir John would agree, they helped contribute to his knighthood performing so many of his wonderful  scores