Alan Rickman Thought Williams’ Potter Score Was “Hideous”

Disco Stu

The movies (not only the first two) are really close to the books. For example, closer than the Lord of the Rings films. Some characters are a bit different than in the books but that is ok. Yes, some films are too long, but so are some of the books from Part 4 onwards. Some parts had to be left off because it didn't fit into a 140min movie. 

Talking about the first two soundtracks, they are really complex scores, rich in thematic structure and do exactly what they are intended for: create a magical atmosphere. I would go as far and say that without the music the films wouldn't be so succesful. My only complaint is that Hedwigs theme is used a bit too much. Other than that it's hard to imagine more fitting scores for these movies. The 3rd score is also a masterwork and imo Williams best score since then. It's sad that he doesn't conduct pieces from that score in concert anymore.

3 hours ago, BB-8 said:

You could become a movie director who simply insists on having music throughout.

This would save the composer from sitting through the tedious spotting sessions.

Yes, I would like to be a director for silent movies. So, no talk, no noise, no soundeffects, just music.

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

So, you would be a good director. I wouldn't. I just love music.

I love music too but it's almost a pet peeve of mine when a see a scene where the music is so far back or quiet that it just didn't need to be there.

In a sense, I love a big, bold fanfare as much as anyone else, but when it comes to more emotional stuff, I'm definitely more of a fan of subtle scoring, i.e. some tender piano rather than loud, sad strings. You could see some (particularlty Williams) scores where the composition itself is beautiful and works great on his album, but when married to the visuals as part of the whole, feels a tad overwhelming.

But hey, I'm a fan of textural, ambient, atonal (some of the time) music so I generally don't go for big orchestral statements as much as some here would. In fact, most 'happy' Christmas-style orchestral scores drive my nut - I need a bit of variation.

4 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I love music too but it's almost a pet peeve of mine when a see a scene where the music is so far back or quiet that it just didn't need to be there.

In a sense, I love a big, bold fanfare as much as anyone else, but when it comes to more emotional stuff, I'm definitely more of a fan of subtle scoring, i.e. some tender piano rather than loud, sad strings. You could see some (particularlty Williams) scores where the composition itself is beautiful and works great on his album, but when married to the visuals as part of the whole, feels a tad overwhelming.

But hey, I'm a fan of textural, ambient, atonal (some of the time) music so I generally don't go for big orchestral statements as much as some here would. In fact, most 'happy' Christmas-style orchestral scores drive my nut - I need a bit of variation.

That's good. Actually, I wouldn't like my movies either. I would just love listening to their score.

1 hour ago, Andy said:

@Holko is right.  Subtractive spotting is the way to go.  Then dial out what is not needed, and release that to the rabid fans.  I think of so many scenes from Empire where the absence improves the feel of the storytelling... Han's Hoth search, the Mynock jump scare, the start of the Bespin Duel.  All great music, but the film plays better as it is without.

And then you have Raiders, which is masterfully spotted and lean.  Can't think of much that was dialed out, just a few edits.

About the only wall to wall spotting success for me is Temple of Doom.  What could've been dialed out there?

The approach you're talking about is certainly the one I enjoy the most as a consumer, but scoring sessions are expensive. I can fully appreciate the desire to only record stuff you're likely to actually use.

Take the first T-Rex attack in Jurassic Park, a favorite example of mine. As a moviegoer, I'm really glad it plays without music. As a film score fan, I really wish Williams had scored the scene. As a cheapskate, I think it was a really wise choice not to.

My biggest regret about the Jurassic Park score.  Yes, the movie itself didn't need music there.  But boy, I wish that narrative hole on album was filled with an amazing tense Williams composition

Agreed. I also wished that for each of these movies there existed some kind of silent movie version, like the score only version of the last jedi, but with the music gaps filled.

What a live to projection experience would that be!

8 hours ago, Steve said:

The movies (not only the first two) are really close to the books. For example, closer than the Lord of the Rings films. Some characters are a bit different than in the books but that is ok. Yes, some films are too long, but so are some of the books from Part 4 onwards. Some parts had to be left off because it didn't fit into a 140min movie. 

Talking about the first two soundtracks, they are really complex scores, rich in thematic structure and do exactly what they are intended for: create a magical atmosphere. I would go as far and say that without the music the films wouldn't be so succesful. My only complaint is that Hedwigs theme is used a bit too much. Other than that it's hard to imagine more fitting scores for these movies. The 3rd score is also a masterwork and imo Williams best score since then. It's sad that he doesn't conduct pieces from that score in concert anymore.

Which brings me back to the hypothesis that the only part of the whole Wizarding World franchise that will survive the post-Elizabethan era will be the music by John Williams.

On 27/09/2022 at 2:34 PM, Datameister said:

The approach you're talking about is certainly the one I enjoy the most as a consumer, but scoring sessions are expensive. I can fully appreciate the desire to only record stuff you're likely to actually use.

I'm veering more towards this view - it's a nice idea to cover the film in music and remove cues where not needed, but logistically, recording and composer time is expensive and labour intensive. I'm not a fan of the idea of a composer writing all that music with the anticipation that you'll just remove lots of it and their work goes unheard.

Plus on a more minor note, I don't like score albums containing an unused cue but missing some other major cue.

4 hours ago, mahler3 said:

Ha! I’ve pre-ordered this book so I’ll try and skip this page. I was very fortunate to meet Alan Rickman thanks to my work with Patrick Doyle a few years ago. Well, nearly 10 now! They were both very close friends being part of the London theatrical scene in the 70s and 80s.

And via Emma Thompson, I imagine. I wonder what Rickman thought of Doyle's Potter score.

11 hours ago, BB-8 said:

"SNAPE'S THEME" - performed by the Berlin Philharmonic

BmFRx7PIcAA-Vfs.jpg

"Is this a Dark Wizard, Walter?" - "No, Donny, this man is a nihilist, there's nothing to be afraid of."