I just realized that John Williams is one of the last major figures of the Golden Age of Hollywood.

jojoju2000

6 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Unless there comes some romantic music revival in film, the last remains of this aera really are going to end with him, sadly. 

It'll come back eventually. It did in the 70s, and it will again one day.

1 hour ago, SilverTrumpet said:

It'll come back eventually. It did in the 70s, and it will again one day.

I am not sure. Even though these scores were out of fashion in the 70s the composers in the business had a skill level in classic composition, orchestration, conducting etc., that contemporary film composers often don't have. So, it was easier to revive that.

4 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I am not sure. Even though these scores were out of fashion in the 70s the composers in the business had a skill level in classic composition, orchestration, conducting etc., that contemporary film composers often don't have. So, it was easier to revive that.

That is a very good point.  I do think there are plenty of non-film composers well-trained in these areas--they could bring their skillset with such a revival.  However, if would not be as instantaneous as what happened after Star Wars.  

You know what, we use J.S. Bach year of death to end the "Baroque" Era in classical music.

I say for years that we'll use John Williams year of death to mark the end of the Classical Hollywood Film Music Era... 

Yep.

14 minutes ago, Damien F said:

I still think it is a little crazy that a person who scored for Hitchcock is still scoring movies today. OK, it was Hitch's final movie, but still JW is definitely unique among composers today in that regard. 

Dude scored for Hitchcock, scored Frank Sinatra's only directorial effort, and scored a John Wayne picture. That same dude is still working on the biggest films ever made. what the fuck haha

I swear some people have to see that John Williams credit in Star Wars Episode 9 and think it's his son or something.

59 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think he long outlived the end of that era.

A little respect here.

JW is a "bit" responsible of the revival of the modern classical music in movies, at a time were there was only jazz...

I'll let the musicologists define this era, that is not the "Golden Age", but it deserve a name... and an ending date.

I've calculated something...

Had Williams died at Tchaikovsky's age (54) in 1986, he would still have had 3 Star Wars films, 2 Indy films, CE3K, E.T., Jaws, Superman, Jane Eyre, 45 or so other film scores, the Violin Concerto, 4 Oscars, a honorary PhD, and 6 years at the helm of the Boston Pops to his name.

36 years later and he is still going on!

5 hours ago, karelm said:

He's like Disney + the Queen + Elvis + Beatles + Michael Jackson in one person. 

You forgot the Stones. :)

The one thing, that I dislike about such threads is, that they become particularly morbid, talking about the time when Williams will be gone and what that is supposed to mean.

They guy has a marvelous history, but he is alive and kicking and I hope he has a vivid future ahead. I am really curious and looking forward, what he will bring us and do throughout this decade.

He is an absolute phenomenon.

And if he decides next week to stop composing and spend the rest of his live growing wine in California or weed in a roof garden in New York, so be it.

16 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

And if he decides next week to stop composing and spend the rest of his live growing wine in California or weed in a roof garden in New York, so be it.

I think it's more likely that he'll start a professional golf career if he decides to stop composing!:lol:

11 hours ago, Damien F said:

I still think it is a little crazy that a person who scored for Hitchcock is still scoring movies today. OK, it was Hitch's final movie, but still JW is definitely unique among composers today in that regard. 

This reminds me of Richard Strauss, whose career spanned different stylistic eras (late romantic to avantgarde) while his output remained more or less committed to his own unique compositional style.

On 28/09/2022 at 6:45 AM, jojoju2000 said:

His first film score was in 1954.

Somebody said it before in another thread. That is the amazing part. This was just 21 years after King Kong which is regarded as the first wall to wall orchestral film score ever. So, he is since about 70 years in a business that is not older than round about 90 years.

Williams also worked for Tiomkin I believe. He orchestrated something or other. Still even the "Silver Age" is now long gone and Williams is the last of that ancient religion. There are no "Composers" any more. You can hear it in the guff that masquerades as film music these days. I've been listening to the extraordinary and rather crazy music of Tiomkin this past week and I ordered the Tadlow/Prometheus re-recording of The Fall of the Roman Empire. Remarkable music that I had never heard before. Comparing the unbelievable complexity and craft of Tiomkin with the crap that is wallpapered all over the mostly garbage movies of today is like comparing night with day. 

• 2 months later...

YOU ARE WELCOME, the 22-minute travelogue film Williams worked on while in the air force, counts as his first experience with music to film (other than attending his dad's film sessions as a kid), but not really his first film score. YOU ARE WELCOME consisted of arrangements of local folk melodies and other existing compositions; there isn't much original music in it. DADDY-O from 1958 remains his first proper film score.

In either case, Williams never really worked in the Golden Age of Hollywood. The end of the Golden Age varies a bit according to parameters and sources, but most film historians agree that the late 40s were the beginning of the end (Paramount verdict that effectively ended vertical integration, baby boom/suburbia and the rise of TV were the main contributing factors). One can argue that certain stylistic traits continued well into the 50s, but by the time Williams did DADDY-O, it was a rather different industrial landscape ushered in by the rise of independents alongside the big studio productions.

What IS true, however, is that Williams experienced the Golden Age as a kid, and even got to work with some of its legends later on (Newman, Waxman, Tiomkin etc.). So he is kind of a "link" between then and now.

7 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Nope! None other than La-La Land Records released a restoration of the Zamecnik score to Wings (1927) years ago — 76.5 minutes, longer than King Kong:

https://lalalandrecords.com/wings-limited-edition/

Who knew they had crappy midi technology in the 1920s!

Quality post, btw!

7 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

So yeah, while the 1933 film King Kong was the first Hollwood film to achieve *that* level of popularity, and therefore Steiner’s lengthy (but not unprecedentedly so) orchestral score has gotten a lot of press and attention over the years… NO, it wasn’t “first”… by any meaningful metric.

The score's not even very good...

23 minutes ago, Thor said:

YOU ARE WELCOME

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

(2.5 hours!!)

Thanks a lot for that exposition of pre-King Kong film scores! I had actually the pleasure to hear Huppertz's whole Metropolis score live yesterday from the Babylon film orchestra in Babylon cinema Berlin.

On 31/12/2022 at 3:22 AM, GerateWohl said:

Thanks a lot for that exposition of pre-King Kong film scores! I had actually the pleasure to hear Huppertz's whole Metropolis score live yesterday from the Babylon film orchestra in Babylon cinema Berlin.

You’re welcome. So, having had that amazing experience, would you say Steiner’s orchestral score for King Kong invented or was the “first”… anything?

Yavar

12 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

You’re welcome. So, having had that amazing experience, would you say Steiner’s orchestral score for King Kong invented or was the “first”… anything?

Yavar

I think, I had read this thing about the King Kong score, probably in the liner notes of the re-recording.

And even though I was aware of these wall-to-wall silent movie scores, this was for me in my categorisation something different than these sound movie scores. My understanding of that development was, that filmmakers of Sound movies at first thought, now we don't need music anymore or the didn't know how to justify the music playing in the background when there is no orchestra in that scene. And the sound mixing might be difficult to make everything audible etc. 

But at reading your post I thought, you are right. The function of the music in those silent movies and movies like King Kong is the very Same and Steiner was able to build his score on the very same principles and more or less followed the same technical tradition of film scoring. 

Yeah, people make claims all the time but that doesn’t mean they are true. King Kong wasn’t even Steiner’s first substantial orchestral score. For example, he did The Most Dangerous Game the previous year for the same creative team (it just wasn’t as popular or remembered a movie):

But also Odna by Shostakovich which I shared above… started production as a silent film but ultimately ended up being a sound film with almost 80 minutes of score, some of which was diegetic (heard by the characters) and some of which was non-diegetic.

Yavar

15 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Yeah, people make claims all the time but that doesn’t mean they are true. King Kong wasn’t even Steiner’s first substantial orchestral score. For example, he did The Most Dangerous Game the previous year for the same creative team (it just wasn’t as popular or remembered a movie):

This recording with The Most Dangerous Game and the Kong sequel is a recording that I really like. One of my favourite Steiner recordings.

I just wasn't aware that The Most Dangerous Game was before King Kong.