Lorne Balfe's BLACK ADAM (2022)

Edmilson

I haven't listened to this yet but after Black Widow I don't have high hopes. I like the end credits cue and the unused theme suite cues with the Russian choir and singing but the rest of the score is so dull. It's weird that he wrote some rather good themes for the score but then failed in the rest of the assignment.

On 30/09/2022 at 7:39 PM, Mr. Who said:

I like the end credits cue and the unused theme suite cues with the Russian choir and singing but the rest of the score is so dull. It's weird that he wrote some rather good themes for the score but then failed in the rest of the assignment.

I think that maybe is because he spent most of his time working on the themes then let his team use the material he wrote when doing most of the score as heard in the movie? It may explain the rather bizarre OST.

About Black Adam, this made me lol:

amms0talf5r91.jpg

7 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I think that maybe is because he spent most of his time working on the themes then let his team use the material he wrote when doing most of the score as heard in the movie? It may explain the rather bizarre OST.

About Black Adam, this made me lol:

amms0talf5r91.jpg

Is that ... 007? Why Pierce?

Wow, how far are DC going to go with this processed RCP nonsense before they realise what they are doing. The Black Adam theme sounds like a car commercial. The Justice Society joke-fest sounds like a massively overprocessed BT or Virgin Media advertisement:

Any idea if the superman theme track made it into the album? I haven't been able to find it
1. Teth-Adam (3:33)
2. Kahndaq (6:09)
3. The Awakening (3:04)
4. The Revolution Starts (1:29)
5. Introducing the JSA (4:41)
6. Shaza-Superman (2:23)
7. Our Only Hope (2:06)
8. Change Your Name (1:27)
9. What Kind of Magic? (2:10)
10. Is It the Champion? (0:57)
11. Your Enemies (1:50)
12. Black Adam Spotted (1:37)
13. Not Interested (1:41)
14. Just Say Shazam (4:11)
15. Ancient Palace (3:15)
16. Little Man (1:40)
17. Time to Go (1:35)
18. Release Him (0:56)
19. Father & Son (3:36)
20. Black Adam Theme (3:57)
21. Fly Bikes (3:25)
22. Nanobots (1:33)
23. Through the Wall (2:54)
24. 23lbs of Eternium (2:27)
25. Is This the End? (2:05)
26. It Was Him (5:49)
27. Lake Baikal (2:59)
28. Capes and Corpses (1:07)
29. Hawkman’s Fate (2:10)
30. The JSA Fights Back (2:12)
31. A Bad Plan Is a Good Plan (1:56)
32. Dr. Fate (1:20)
33. Prison Break (2:35)
34. Wet Rocks (0:54)
35. Not a Hero (1:22)
36. The Doctor’s Destiny (0:55)
37. Slave Champion (1:27)
38. Legions of Hell (2:17)
39. The Man in Black (0:46)
40. Adam’s Journey (3:50)
41. The Justice Society Theme (5:12)
42. Black Adam Theme (iZNiiK Remix) – iZNiiK & Lorne Balfe (4:01)
43. The Justice Society Theme (iZNiiK Remix) – iZNiiK & Lorne Balfe (3:52)

Spoiler

Is it actually in the movie? The clip I saw had too loud of an audience to tell, and what we know of the song credits doesn't list anything about another composer's theme being used.

13 minutes ago, HunterTech said:
  Hide contents

Is it actually in the movie? The clip I saw had too loud of an audience to tell, and what we know of the song credits doesn't list anything about another composer's theme being used.

Pretty sure it is

Reports are conflicting but the forming consensus seems to be that

Spoiler

when Supes appears it's the first few notes of the Williams theme, some saying it sounds like it's reprised in a Zimmer style, and then when it goes to the credits it plays "Arcade" from Man of Steel.

On 10/10/2022 at 11:49 PM, thestat said:

Wow, how far are DC going to go with this processed RCP nonsense before they realise what they are doing. The Black Adam theme sounds like a car commercial. The Justice Society joke-fest sounds like a massively overprocessed BT or Virgin Media advertisement:

The Black Adam theme sounds like a Two Steps From Hell track with the melody removed... until 0:57 and then someone's obviously murdered the brass player.

The other one I agree just sounds like some empty corporate ad music.

I don’t get the appeal of Balfe. He seems like a really nice chap but he has no style of composing. There’s nothing where you go “ah that’s balfe” because it’s all mostly just third rate versions of other composers. I heard a rom com score by him a few weeks ago and it was so empty and just reminded me of Thomas Newman, JNH and HZ’s romantic comedy scores which are great. It’s really strange.

The only Balfe I think is decent is MI6 which is not great but at least worked very well on the movie and has some good cues. And even MI6 is full of copies of other scores.

I think the only Balfe I've explicitly got is an hour or so from MI6 and really the only memorable thematic material is from Schifrin's stuff.

Although if IMDB is to be believed he's done additional music for almost everything Zimmer's done in the entire 00s and teens so I've definitely heard more of his stuff.

His additional music for Zimmer is easily the most accurate (in imitation of whichever style Zimmer employs for the film) of any additional music composer from RCP, but I agree Balfe doesn’t have much of a style on his own.

I haven't listened to this yet but I have to say that the stuff I have enjoyed the most from Balfe is without a doubt what he did working with Zimmer, like his collaborations on Pirates of the Caribbean or Kung Fu Panda 3.

When he's on his own, there's little I have really enjoyed, even if they fit well within the movie, but I have to say that I really like his Lego Batman score, because it does only fit well within the movie,bit offers a fun and entertaining score with some references here and there to other Batman scores (more stylistically rather than thematically). Also,I enjoyed parts of Ghost in the Shell (i'm a sucker for those synths!) and the main theme from Silent Night and its variations, which you can listen below.

But yeah, I agree that he doesn't really have a style of his own which makes it a bit harder to enjoy his work 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CrimsonRain96 said:

Has anyone managed to figure out the chronological track listing yet?

That would require someone to watch the movie. 

Nobody did. 

• 1 month later...
On 14/11/2022 at 1:46 PM, CrimsonRain96 said:

Has anyone managed to figure out the chronological track listing yet?

Any order is chronological because the two themes just go back and forth the entire movie!