Alan Silvestri's LARA CROFT TOMB RAIDER: THE CRADLE OF LIFE (2003) - NEW! 2022 Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

Lol, just because I posted about the Jolie Lara Croft movies on the other thread :lol:

Anyway, this should be a fun expansion. Silvestri in action mode is always entertaining. I've heard the OST once or twice, but I can't remember anything about it though.

32 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Huh, I somehow didn't even remember that Silvestri scored this.  If you had asked me earlier today, I'd probably have said "I dunno, probably Trevor Rabin or someone similar."

Well, Graeme Revell did the original Jolie Tomb Raider...

Yavar

8 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I have about 15 mins from the OST and hadn't imagined for a single moment that this one needed expanding.

Yeah, it's not a Silvestri score that jumps out of me as one I need to listen to. Which is a shame as it should be a fun Indy inspired adventure score (Mummy Returns style) but I seem to recall it being somewhat uninspired. I will give the OST a spin first methinks.

7 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Well, Graeme Revell did the original Jolie Tomb Raider...

Yavar

Blimey, you're right. I don't remember that one at all. Nor own it. Then again, there are only about 3 Graeme Revell scores I like.

I do like the overall tone of this score and its more synthy approach - I just never warmed to the whole album. I never really listen to Intrada's Mummy Returns properly either so I think I find his full scores a bit too much.

48 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Lol, just because I posted about the Jolie Lara Croft movies on the other thread :lol:

Anyway, this should be a fun expansion. Silvestri in action mode is always entertaining. I've heard the OST once or twice, but I can't remember anything about it though.

I just revisited this one this past weekend. Now looking at the track list of this expanded version, highlight in the original album remains unchanged here (track 3, 20, 22 in the expanded release). The rest honestly did not leave an impression. 

14 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Yeah, it's not a Silvestri score that jumps out of me as one I need to listen to. Which is a shame as it should be a fun Indy inspired adventure score (Mummy Returns style) but I seem to recall it being somewhat uninspired. I will give the OST a spin first methinks.

The OST isn't necessarily a good representation of the score, of course, so you might check out the sound clips. I mean just look no further than Varese's original generous 48 minute album of Goldsmith's Star Trek: Nemesis: "HEY I KNOW! Let's make sure to get most of the low-key suspense music on this and have it make up half of the album! The fans will be thrilled!" (There is absolutely a killer 48 minute album to be edited down from the full score...it's just not what Varese originally gave us, lol...)

16 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Blimey, you're right. I don't remember that one at all. Nor own it. Then again, there are only about 3 Graeme Revell scores I like.

Same here...well maybe sorta 4: Street Fighter, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers (both of these are Varese), Red Planet (particularly the vocal cues), and I admit I do really dig his rejected score for Eaters of the Dead (aka The 13th Warrior).

Yavar

21 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

To be honest, the most memorable music from the first Lara Croft movie was this U2 clip:

It doesn't get more early 2000s than that 😉

It's a fairly basic score but it has some nice stuff in it. My old CD cracked ages ago so I will get this.

And hey, we get a better cover than this:

14.jpg

Karol

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

And hey, we get a better cover than this:

Is it bad that I like the horse one more? Granted it has nothing to do with Lara and Tomb Raider (the OG games - I remember nothing of this movie, lol) but I still prefer it over the angry wetsuit one...

I'll probably get it - eventually. Death Becomes Her and whatever backlog I have with Varese has priority.

The OST cover just looks like someone took a screeshot of a random shot from the film and stuck a quick bit of text and the logo on it. Definitely has the feel of a fan cover by someone who doesn't have access to the proper resources.

I see what you're saying about the screenshot feel of the old cover but I'd also argue the new one feels both cramped (gigantic logo and awkward texts at top & bottom with very different typesets & varese logo) and empty (above the logo) at the same time; plus the awkward darkening around the photo.

Well, not like I have much of a choice. I'm not really the custom cover kind of guy even if I don't like the original. :)

Yes the cover in the main post is from the digital / streaming release, on the physical CD the banner will be printed on the inside back cover and the front cover will just be the rest of the image

13 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Same here...well maybe sorta 4: Street Fighter, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers (both of these are Varese), Red Planet (particularly the vocal cues), and I admit I do really dig his rejected score for Eaters of the Dead (aka The 13th Warrior).

Not a fan of his score for The Crow? That one I really liked.

I suspect that Paramount's official cue list titling striking again; I'd guess that the album track by that name is comprised of multiple cues, and one that appears in the film chronologically first is in the track after one that appears chronologically after.

I remember being super bummed when Silvestri got axed from the first PoTC film in 2003.  And then hearing he got brought on board to score this instead, I held out hope that some unused Pirates material would end up in it. But that wasn’t the case apparently. (Man. I’d still love to hear what he wrote one day. I know it was never recorded.)

Looking forward to this release. Love me some Silvestri in Summer Blockbuster mode.

7 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

Silvestri wrote this in two weeks as a last minute replacement. At least one cue from Craig Armstrong’s original score remains in the film.

Man it would have been nice if the Armstrong score could have been included too…

Yavar

23 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Man it would have been nice if the Armstrong score could have been included too…

Yavar

The previous installment in the franchise also has a last minute replacement score by Graeme Revell. Although what Silvestri did is also a replacement work, I do think he has had more time and budget since the final work did has a much bigger symphonic scale. 

2 hours ago, WampaRat said:

I remember being super bummed when Silvestri got axed from the first PoTC film in 2003.  And then hearing he got brought on board to score this instead, I held out hope that some unused Pirates material would end up in it. But that wasn’t the case apparently. (Man. I’d still love to hear what he wrote one day. I know it was never recorded.)

If I'm not mistaken, he never got past the first cue so there's really not that much to listen to.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Yes the cover in the main post is from the digital / streaming release, on the physical CD the banner will be printed on the inside back cover and the front cover will just be the rest of the image

So there is a digital release coming then?

Yea, that's what the link in the main page was showing, the entry for the digital album on a chinese retailer that accidentally listed it early (they've now taken it down, presumably to return on Friday)

8 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

The OST cover just looks like someone took a screeshot of a random shot from the film and stuck a quick bit of text and the logo on it. Definitely has the feel of a fan cover by someone who doesn't have access to the proper resources.

Love this genre of cover!  Often done when there is both a soundtrack and a score album.  Here’s another one, off the top of my head.

EDB9038A-CB79-49C5-913B-709EEDE1DE2E.jpeg

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Love this genre of cover!  Often done when there is both a soundtrack and a score album.  Here’s another one, off the top of my head.

I'm not saying all of those 'still from movie' ones are bad - I just don't like the Tomb Raider one. The one you posted is quite nice.

The Fox Records release of Speed is another example of those ugly "still" covers.

I get that they don't want to people to confuse the song compilation with the score album but really.

The first two Spideys are an example of how these dual releases should be handled.

The image they chose for Speed is quite good - it's the composition of the cover which is just plain terrible. The composer credit is barely readable and the blue border is completely unneeded.

It's rarely the actual image they choose that causes the disagreement for me, it's how much they do to arrange other elements around it and how they mesh with the colours and balance of the movie still.

And BTW, yes, I do have double standards with covers between mainstream labels and the speciality labels; the latter have to do more work with fewer resources and don't necessarily have immediate access to all of the marketing material that was around when the film was coming out.

Listening again to my old purchased mp3s and the full album has some decent stuff, especially if you're like me and enjoy hybrids between orchestra and electronics. It's certainly heavier on the latter, possibly a result of Silvestri having only a short time to compose and record.

I'll certainly consider a purchase especially if there's some nice additonal material in the extra half hour.

Also one of the sample loops he uses is a variation on this library track, although either sped up, or the guy who wrote that library cut took it from somewhere else.

On 5/10/2022 at 5:55 AM, Richard Penna said:

And BTW, yes, I do have double standards with covers between mainstream labels and the speciality labels; the latter have to do more work with fewer resources and don't necessarily have immediate access to all of the marketing material that was around when the film was coming out.

Since I never pull the CDs off the shelf, I have no standards for cover art.  If anything, the clearly bad cover art is more charming!

You're far more reasonable than some here.

I've seen some pretty bad art from releases created/printed personally by composers (and in one case, the CD clearly burned by them too). It adds to the 'personal' aspect.

I had a quick listen when midnight came and it was on Spotify, and my immediate impression was that Silvestri chose the right music for the album. I've never seen the film so I'm going purely by what interesting material or variations are new, and TBH, for me the answer was sadly not a lot.

I don't really need this expansion but, as I mentioned before, my original CD is badly damaged and there is about 25-30 minutes of stuff I enjoy from this score. So it makes sense to get this.

Karol

Indeed, and if there had been some major sound issue with the original album, I'd buy this just for that, and the odd bit of extra music.

Unfortunately in this case the additional music doesn't really do it for me. Silvestri's original hour-long assembly is extremely good.

Good cover though. I looked on Album art exchange for some high res ones of the original cover and man, it's even worse really big :lol:

The one of her on the horse?

What's weird is I swear the OST also used this swimsuit image too?  Kind of like how Starship Troopers OST had two different covers?