Michael Giacchino - Werewolf By Night (2022)

Alex

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://screenrant.com/marvel-werewolf-by-night-early-reactions-disney-plus/

First reactions are in. I'm excited about this. It looks very promising. And from these reactions it looks like Giacchino got away with some gore and blood. Which I think is exciting. Marvel is most of the time at it's best when it does serious.

The runtime supposedly is 52 minutes. Just under an hour. It really is a 'Special'.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen any info on a soundtrack for this yet? I was hoping it would release alongside the special tomorrow, but I haven’t found anything so far.

If anything was known, it'd be posted here

This link is also the first place all Disney albums show up now, so you can periodically check it to see if anytihng gets listed

https://www.disneymusiclicensing.com/albums?orderBy=original_release_date&orderDest=desc

Nothing has been posted on the New Zealand itunes. So a release might come later. I do hope we get one, because I've been hearing positive things about the music (and the special itself as well)

1400x1400bb.webp

1. A Marvel Special Presentation (0:12)
2. Mane Title (3:02)
3. Hall of Shame (1:00)
4. Ulysses’s Rant (3:24)
5. There Is No Peace Without Tuba (4:17)
6. Scot Free (0:47)
7. A Farewell to Arm (3:27)
8. Cryptic Messages (0:59)
9. Tales from the Crypt (2:29)
10. Elsa’s Ted Talk (3:17)
11. Beach Blanket Betrayal (3:23)
12. Where’s Wolf (4:01)
13. I Don’t Know Jack (3:12)
14. Mane on Ends (1:58)
15. End Shredits (4:21)
16. Mane Theme – Piano Arrangement (1:35)

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/marvel-studios-werewolf-by-night-michael-giacchino/wls710c8kzyoa

https://tidal.com/browse/album/252025968

https://www.amazon.com/music/player/albums/B0BH77MHP2

https://music.apple.com/us/album/marvel-studios-werewolf-by-night-original-soundtrack/1648163952

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mJGFVNJIqhqhkouJg1JeoGrxOhZWEmKNM

https://open.spotify.com/album/4g03IkKXYEjG1vei9WB2Hx?si=UBzI1dAxS4q8ta_SH66Z4w

https://soundcloud.com/michael-giacchino/sets/marvel-studios-werewolf-by

I haven’t heard it and won’t listen to it until we watch the thing, but I’m intrigued by the idea of Giacchino writing the score for himself, untethered.  How much of my distaste in many of Gia’s recent scores is due to directors expecting or requesting “the Giacchino thing,” I wonder.

Watched it. Pulpy fun. I liked it. Score was fun too.

I'd rather have more 50 minute specials like this over Hawkeye, Loki and whatever other Marvel shows I've already forgotten about.

I love this special and the music. Wonderfully gothic.

Watched it again this morning with the score next to it. There are small moments missing.

A tension cue of Elsa is the maze and a small action cue after Elsa & Jack escape from the crypt. For both it's not too bad that they're missing.

The most important music missing is actually the transformation of the werewolf. Which is a real shame. It has a great choral passage and some cool trumpet and strings counterplay.

Other than that, this is another win from Giacchino for me. Great work

A few musical moments I thought were nice that there were odes to:

Psycho

Bram Stoker's Dracula & Wolfman

Bride Of Frankenstein

Hellraiser

On 8/10/2022 at 2:14 AM, MedigoScan said:

Now here is the horror energy I have been missing from Jurassic World 3

Yes! In watching this I thought of Fallen Kingdom’s score quite a bit. And how much I missed that vibe in JW3.

Had a fun time watching this. I imagined Gia’s thought process on certain shots while he was filming (“…so here Im really gonna let loose with choir”) etc. Im sure it was a joy to only answer to himself. It certainly felt like his most energized and enthusiastic piece of scoring in a long time. I look forward to the future projects he directs.

Haven't had time to watch the special, but the score is okay - a good theme and some interesting instrumention and nicely Elfman-esque and gothic-lite but also suffering from that grating Giacchino approach to action scoring.

On 09/10/2022 at 5:25 AM, Gabriel Bezerra said:

I might be crazy, but the main theme reminds me of another unrelated one, don't even know if it's from Giacchino

Actually it instantly reminded me of the tune that starts at 3:06 into "Miracle of the Ark" from Raiders.

On 08/10/2022 at 5:35 AM, JNHFan2000 said:

A few musical moments I thought were nice that there were odes to:

Psycho

Bram Stoker's Dracula & Wolfman

Bride Of Frankenstein

Hellraiser

Also a really cool stinger in I Don't Know Jack at 1:26 that to me is a clear nod to Horner's Aliens, specifically the stinger in Sub-Level 3 at 5:55 which in the film is also tracked into the moment where we first see Newt run across the hall. 

This was a really fun score! I'm going to give it another run later today. And like mentioned, that is a super cool version of the Marvel logo theme in the Mane Title.

Watched this last night - it's pretty fun!  I had no idea what to expect at all; I'd never heard of any of these characters, and the trailer was fairly vague.  The end result is something in between a introductory episode for new series and a feature movie, which is kind of an unexplored area and I think I'd be down for more of these "Marvel Special Presentation"s.

Gael García Bernal and Laura Donnelly (who I had never seen or heard of before) were both really good and had good chemistry together; Harriet Sansom Harris was good as the villain!  What really surprised me was the amount of gore!  I thought all these Disney+ stuff was sticking to firmly PG13 territory, but between the John Walker Captain America Shield murder and all the gore in this, I guess they don't mind swinging into firm R territory at times for some reason?

The acting, plot, and pacing all worked for, liked them all alot - and REALLY liked the score, which fit the special like a glove and really enhanced every scene it was used in.

What didn't work for me was ALLL the gimmicks!  The black & white photography, except for the red Bloodstone; the fake cigarette burns; the throw-back title cards; freaking Somewhere Over The Rainbow playing as it transitioned into color at the end... no, Michael, no!  You did not need to do any of these things!

Overall though, a fun little 50 minute diversion with a really fun new score album to enjoy.  Bring on more!

This special and its score are easy contenders for the best MCU product of 2022, well done Gia. (And I say this as someone who has not much liked anything by Gia in a while.)

Score-wise, Giacchino's Spider-man 3 and Werewolf By Night stand tall above the rest;  There's some good stuff in Thor and Doctor Strange 2, some decent stuff in Hawkeye and WandaVision, and that's about it for me

Wow thats nice!

and that is one of the good things about digital releases. They can be fixxed on the fly, specially if the composer is made aware of the problem and is willing to look into it.

6 hours ago, Max said:

Looks like that cue is going to be added to the album!

Very cool! This has only happened twice since I started listening to film music. The most obvious being No Time for Caution from Interstellar and more recently a cue from Wandavision. I

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder whether I would be able to just download the missing tracks. I bought the download when it came out but didn't listen to it due to this "issue".

Karol

Giacchino mentioned in a Twitter (when somebody asked about the transformation cue) a few weeks back when the album released that something went wrong and they were going to fix it.

Yea, that tweet is right here on this page - I assume Holko is speculating that the "something" in question is the wrong master was delivered to the digital retailers

I'm listening to the new version of the album and loving it again!

I was busy doing a bunch of stuff so wasn't paying any attention to when I was hearing one of the new tracks or one of the old ones, EXCEPT at one point when the music was so good, I wanted to stop what I was doing and see which track it was, and it was one of the new ones: "World's Worst Makeover".

So I guess the additions were worth it, for me!