The Rings of Power show discussion - spoilers allowed for all aired episodes

Chen G.

I don't for one moment believe its a made-up story. They go into waaaaay too much detail for it to just be a canard. I think some fans just like the idea that its a canard because they, as of yet, refuse to believe these writers could seriously suggest something so stupid. Well...

And remember, next episode the land of milk and honey gets turned into Mordor via an explosion because something something magical sword hilt...

Oh boy! This is fun!! ROTFLMAO

The mere descriptions found on the internet of this shows various travesties to Tolkien's writings is enough to deter me even further away from it. It just seems to sink to whole new levels of awfulness in terms of how unfaithful is it to the source material. And how horribly written it is in general.

I have to say, to me episode 3 and certain aspects of episode 4 and episode 5 weren't all that bad at all.

But yeah, now the show has jumped the shark, and I feel like its gearing-up to double-down next week. But hey, at least now it went from just being middling to being a hoot! I laughed so much courtesy of that Mithril creation myth malarky!!

I'm not watching this show, but you're someone who doesn't find the dragon sickness sequence in BOTFA to be inadvertently hilarious so...

Anyway, I have seen very serious Tolkien devotees on the internet that like the show quite a bit, so there is at least a variety of reactions out there.

53 minutes ago, Holko said:

"Unfaithful"? It seems to be getting closer and closer to "offensive" to the source material.

It already isn't?

But the sea is always right!

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

The mere descriptions found on the internet of this shows various travesties to Tolkien's writings is enough to deter me even further away from it. It just seems to sink to whole new levels of awfulness in terms of how unfaithful is it to the source material. And how horribly written it is in general.

The fact that every video or picture I see of Galadriel is her with constant bitch-face, makes me not want to watch.

Because I always picture Cate Blanchett smiling at Frodo and how Nuanced she was.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

"Unfaithful"? It seems to be getting closer and closer to "offensive" to the source material.

The new batch of filmmakers do these shows and films of classic material because they want to change them according to how they think they should be.

There is no faithfulness. The whole point of a show like this is unfaithfulness.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

you're someone who doesn't find the dragon sickness sequence in BOTFA to be inadvertently hilarious so...

The dragon sickness is like the love potion in Tristan: its not real. Thorin just thinks he single-handedly set Smaug loose on his own heirs and is left with nothing but the gold, and so his depression causes him to go mad and attach a lot of importance to the gold. Certainly the insomnia doesn't help.

All the traits he exhibits under scourge of the supposed "dragon sickness" are ones he already exhibits earlier down the line: self-delusion, bad temper, pride, isolationism, neuroticism, etc..

At any rate, the Dragon Sickness thing is set-up much more thoroughly than this whole Mithril malarky.

The Rings of Power 1x03 Adar

Woof, the change in directors from JA Bayona (who did a fine job in the first 2 episodes, I thought) to whoever did this one was quite noticeable!  The plot developments throughout this episode are all well and good enough, but the way so many things were executed left A LOT to be desired.  

No Elrond and Durin this week!?  Are they only going to be in even-numbered episodes?  No Bronwyn and Theo either... I guess with a cast as large as they created for this show this had to happen....

Galadriel - I don't understand why she plays every second of every scene like she's incredibly pissed off.  It's almost like she's bringing urgency to a plot that the show itself is fine with developing quite slowly.  It's weird.  She seems to have no intelligence for how to deal with people, which you'd think she'd be an expert on at this point?  Like she just gets herself in more trouble at Numenor instead of deftly negotiating her way out.  S'weird.  But still, once she got to the library with Elendil and realizes the "mark of Sauron" is actually a map of the Southlands, that was pretty cool.

Halbrand - so he's not some random dude, but the king of the Southlands, descendent of a dude who united various random Southlands tribes together (to fight FOR Morgoth, or against him? The episode wasn't clear, or I just missed it).  His fight with the random dudes was kinda boring, I'm not sure why I'm really supposed to care about this guy yet

Numenor - This place was awesome, I really liked it.  Gorgeous establishing shots showing the massive city, nice production design all around, and great music.  But, I don't like they are setting up yet another mystery with the former king who is now alone in a tower, and the current queen going up to see him at the end, but we don't see him or understand why it's important to them that there's an Elf on their island.  It reminded me of having Durin IV and Durin III opening a chest at the end of episode 2 and not revealing its contents (not even in this episode either!)

Elendil, Isildur, and Eärien - Holy cow, Eärien was HOT!  I'll be watching this actress's career with great interest... I thought Elendil was really interesting - the actor had a awesome deep voice, and seems to have a lot more going on that has been revealed as of yet.  Isildur seemed like a bit of bore so far, but at least we know where his life will eventually end up by the final episode.....

Nori, The Stranger, and the Harfoots - Hmmm, I like the characters of Nori and whatever her friend's name is, and The Stranger does intrigue me, but man, his story is moving at a snail's pace.  I thought it was interesting that the Harfeet have this migration ritual, which makes perfect sense, but didn't really understand why they weren't willing to help out the Brandyfoot at all since the dad has the injured ankle, like WTF? That's not how a small village works.  Especially after they all kept chanting "we wait for you", it made no sense.  This storyline really needs to get more interesting soon

Arondir - All the time spent with him in the trenches was by far the least interesting and compelling part of the episode.  What felt like half an hour of screen time to reveal they are digging tunnels to avoid sunlight (which: isn't that how they've always operated?), and and turning The Southlands into a wasteland (which was already revealed in the Numenor scenes).  Plus, the chain fight was really bad with bad CGI, and the warg was even worse, with terrible CGI (those eyes looked WEIRD man).  The ending where he gets brought to Adar, but once again we don't see his face and end of a "cliffhanger" was yet another annoyance

Here's hoping the pace picks up a bit soon - we need a big inciting event to really kick things off now, instead of all these mini-reveals

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Rings of Power 1x03 Adar

the warg was....terrible CGI (those eyes looked WEIRD man). 

Some have speculated that images like this were the inspiration for the design

6a019103c45ca1970c01bb09a626be970d-550wi

Oh, and something that effects the pacing is all these episodes are 66-67 minutes long!  When only 30-40 minutes of interesting stuff happens in them, there's a lot of tightening up they could have done.

The music is great though, there's a certain pleasure that comes from watching a new show with awesome new original film music throughout, even when the events of the show itself aren't always compelling, the music makes it all watchable

I have lost any hope for this season after the last episode

I really hope the entire writing room will start to take things more seriously when they'll write the scripts for the next seasons about the forging of the rings, the war of Elves and Sauron, the downfall of Numenor and the Last Alliance, the canonical events of the Second Age.

This show has two big problem: first as a fantasy tv show is only likeable and very far for being unforgettable despite the insane budget they have poured on it. As an adaptation of Tolkien it is a dumpster fire with the only exception of some references to characters like Feanor or Earendil..

Given we have only 3 episodes to go, I can see where the money's gone - shitloads of visual effects (no doubt more to come in that dept) and an absolutely massive cast.

However my issue is that of all the story strands, I'm not very invested in the Elrond/Durin and Bronwyn/Arondir plots. I'm more curious with whatever trouble Galadriel/Halbrand are currently in, and the Harfoots' movements. My attention throughout an episode tends to go up and down a bit as a result.

2 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Given we have only 3 episodes to go, I can see where the money's gone - shitloads of visual effects (no doubt more to come in that dept) and an absolutely massive cast.

However my issue is that of all the story strands, I'm not very invested in the Elrond/Durin and Bronwyn/Arondir plots. I'm more curious with whatever trouble Galadriel/Halbrand are currently in, and the Harfoots' movements. My attention throughout an episode tends to go up and down a bit as a result.

Funny, I am pretty much the opposite, G and H aside, I like the Durin/Elrond Operation Ring Forge stuff (stupid Mithril origin aside) and couldn’t care less about about the Harfoot stuff.

Agree on B/A though

7 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

The mithril story is truly outrageous. I was like - how on earth did they come up with that?

I mean, you can kind of imagine an early version of this going something like this:

Maehdros’ Silmaril ended up in the earth, and Maglor’s Silmaril ended up in the sea.

What are the two places where Mithril is found? Khazad-dûm and Númenor.

Coincidence??

Maybe the light and magic of the two Silmarils … spilled… and infused the local metals or sth.

So is Maedhros the Balrog? Or he trapped the Balrog… in the mithril?

Galadriel’s ring is made of mithril… what can we do with that?

Sort of a weird fan theory that just gets weirder from there.

Someone in a local Tolkien group says the only explanation for Gil-Galad's behaviour is that he's Sauron and the real G-G is tied up in his own basement. How accurate is this?

12 hours ago, Jay said:

Holy cow, Eärien was HOT!  I'll be watching this actress's career with great interest...

She is hot. The actress who portrays her, Ema Horvath, is Harvard educated.

Ema Horvath is a big fan favourite, yes. She lurks around on Reddit and she's got none of the airs and graces that so many of the other cast members (motioning in the direct of Benjamin Walker) do.

53 minutes ago, rough cut said:

S01E05 - It’s not very good, is it. Not from a Tolkien-point of view nor a “just try to enjoy the show/story”-point of view.

I enjoyed it except the mithril nonsense. I finally joined the army of cringers…

The only thing that I liked more of this episode compared to the previous four was the pacing. 

The storyline of the southlands and Adar(or if you prefer the Discount Dark Lord of the first season)were decent or quite good. Elrond and Durin are carrying the show and the chemistry between the actors is very good. The rest was not ok. Sometimes even a damn dumpster fire

My big problem is that this show has now had more screen time than any one of the movies and yet, I still don’t give a damn about most of the characters. While I don’t consider the series as boring as some do, I also don’t understand why the showrunners seem to have wasted an entire season on setup.

On a semi-unrelated note, the fan reactions to everything even slightly related to The Rings of Power have given me cancer. Yesterday I even saw some bozo on Reddit describing McCreary’s score as “generic” which I guess just proves that even the best aspects of a project will be mercilessly shat upon these days.

4 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Ema Horvath is a big fan favourite, yes. She lurks around on Reddit and she's got none of the airs and graces that so many of the other cast members (motioning in the direct of Benjamin Walker) do.

I don't know what the second half of what you said means but hopefully this gig gets her more worked cause I looked up what she's already been in and it was nothing I'd heard of or seemed interesting 

1 hour ago, A. A. Ron said:

My big problem is that this show has now had more screen time than any one of the movies and yet, I still don’t give a damn about most of the characters. While I don’t consider the series as boring as some do, I also don’t understand why the showrunners seem to have wasted an entire season on setup.

On a semi-unrelated note, the fan reactions to everything even slightly related to The Rings of Power have given me cancer. Yesterday I even saw some bozo on Reddit describing McCreary’s score as “generic” which I guess just proves that even the best aspects of a project will be mercilessly shat upon these days.

Idk, I find it pretty generic as well. I would definitely not call it “the greatest” anything.

My cancer is seeing the endless praise this score is getting. Someone compared the Galadriel track to Joe Hisaishi and I felt like I had fallen through a rift in time and space…

I’ve never heard anyone call this score “the greatest” anything, but it is definitely head and shoulders above most other TV scoring and definitely better than an RCP approach to Middle Earth would be.

15 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

it is definitely head and shoulders above most other TV scoring and definitely better than an RCP approach to Middle Earth would be.

Exactly how I feel

I think its a very lovely score, but the Shore titles and the fact that Shore's colours are used: so, men for Dwarves, women for Elves, celtic instruments for Hobbits, and even the Hardinfelle - all make me ache for a Howard Shore score or at least for some of his themes.

Its sad to think the downfall of Numenore won't be scored with a version of the main nature theme: think how powerful it would have been that this theme we associate with the Eagles and the Moth and the Rohirrim coming to the rescue would also be attached to the great cataclysm of Numenore.

I appreciate that McCreary is coming at this world with less of a horror approach, but I wish the show would give him more action scenes to score. I imagine Season 2 will give us more of that and more opportunities for the different themes to interact with each other.

28 minutes ago, KK said:

McCreary's score is mostly just drawing from existing modern film music tropes and conventions

I can see this point. I feel it’s typical of most current film/television composers. Some of the best ones working today reverence, Williams, Goldsmith, Shore etc. and you can here some of that in their work. But those Masters I feel were more inspired by classical music and contemporary jazz of their era rather than other film composers. So we find ourselves in that “photocopy of a photocopy” predicament that’s been brought up a time or too. 

That being said. I think McCreary has a vast amount of musical knowledge outside of just film scores that influence his work. He leans more into rock and roll rather than jazz obviously. But He's such an overall music fanatic and I love how passionate he is! I admit, that somehow makes me appreciate his work on these RoP scores more. 

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Its sad to think the downfall of Numenore won't be scored with a version of the main nature theme: think how powerful it would have been that this theme we associate with the Eagles and the Moth and the Rohirrim coming to the rescue would also be attached to the great cataclysm of Numenore.

Those two go really well together, actually:

(thanks for the idea ;))

18 hours ago, Score said:

Having reached the 5th episode, I still don't find McCreary's scores for this series to be inferior (musically speaking) to Shore's scores for the movies. Of course, the plot of the series is inferior to the plot of the movies, and the movies' characters were more closely related to Tolkien's poetics than the series' characters; the dialogues in the movies, as far as I know, were taken in a significant part from the books. The authors of the series had to invent most of the dialogues and situations, just to make the whole thing doable - and surely they are not Tolkien. Therefore, inevitably the marriage of Shore's music + the movies (which are still the greatest fantasy movies ever done) has a much powerful and long-lasting impact on the viewer compared to the marriage of McCreary's music + the series. But if I judge the music alone, McCreary's work is definitely deserving of praise.

IMHO, of course.      

Er, while I absolutely agree Bear's score is worthy of praise (it's one of the better TV scores going right now), and certainly superior to the show it's scored for, there's no way (in my opinion) it's in the same league as Shore's work. There's just no comparison. Simply the fact that it's so derivative of what Shore did makes it inferior.

That doesn't mean it's not a good score, it is. But equal to Shore's work? No. Not in any world.