The Rings of Power show discussion - spoilers allowed for all aired episodes

Chen G.

16 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Seeing as how they forged the three this episode (WTF?!) and McPayne said next season climaxes with an "epic, two-episode battle", I think Celebrimbor is not long with us.

I must think the thought process was to put more emphasis on the events of the late second age - the fall of Numenore and the events people know from the prologue to Jackson's The Fellowship of the Ring - over Celebrimbor's Faustian situation. Shame.

I’ve heard that there were some trouble with the casting (the first actor left, leaving little time to re-shoot the new one's), but I don’t think that even matters. His whole character/plotline could’ve been severly improved with one small change: Robert Aramayo as Celebrimbor.

Consider it:

Ep 1: He is introduced as Galadriel’s old friend and has the chat with her about not being able to go to Valinor (as he does in Tolkien's writings)

Ep 2: He travels home to Eregion and then to Khazad-dûm and has all the same scenes with Durin (as a masterful smith, he stands toe-to-toe with a dwarf in the rock-smashing challenge)

Ep 4: He names mithril and swears the same oath. He reminisces not of his father Eärendil, but his grandfather Fëanor.

Ep 5: He goes to Lindon, where Gil-Galad tells him of a corruption that they don’t know how to battle. Celebrimbor himself deduces that the mithril would work and is torn between revealing what he’s learned and keeping his oath.

Ep 7: Same scenes, he and Durin fail to convince the King, but their bond grows stronger (also closer to Tolkien)

Ep 8: He uses his own ingenuity and Halbrand’s suggestions to craft the Rings.

This is far from ideal, but working with what we have, a vast improvement IMO. This Celebrimbor would be conflicted yet endearing. This would be a Celebrimbor that we a) learn to understand and like, b) want to succeed, and c) will cry bitter tears to see fail and die. Elrond is a character people already have a connection to, and he will not do something significant until the founding of Rivendell. Celebrimbor is a character we need to start liking now, if his death is supposed to have any catharsis.

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

Out of curiosity, why in the Tolkienverse is forging the the three elven rings at this point a WTF moment?

I just think they should have taken their time with it: not put it as an afterthought in the coda of the season.

Its very oddly structured. Whereas normally the setup takes less than a third of the overall runtime, here its like 60% setup, 15% conflict and 25% climax.

4 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Season Two: The War of Sauron and the Elves

The War Epic Battle of Sauron and the Elves

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/rings-of-power-sauron-season-2-lotr-1235240809/

Not gonna lie, they say some cringe things here (it’s Breaking Bad! it’s The Sopranos! it’s Batman!), but, “Season two has a canonical story… This is the story [you] were hoping to get in season one” honestly makes me think about giving S2 a chance.

36 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

So what do y’all think — are they really gonna tell a story next season or nah?

Per my previous point about how most shows (no matter how good) tend to have rocky starts, I'm sure we will see an improvement from now on, but I pray that they drop the "mystery box" approach immediately. At some point I started to keep track of how many mysteries they introduced, and this is ridiculous.

Ep 1: What is the sigil? What is the sword? Who is The Stranger?

Ep 2: Who is Halbrand? What’s in the pouch? What’s in the box? What are The Stranger’s symbols?

Ep 3: Who is Adar? What are the Orcs after? Who is Isildur hearing? What is the “real Númenor”? What is Míriel so afraid of?

Ep 4: What are the lies Adar speak of? What is Waldreg’s deal?

Ep 5: What are the Mystics, and what do they want with The Stranger? What’s up with the Sauron/sword statue?

Ep 6: What is the history of Adar and Halbrand? Has Adar killed Sauron?

Ep 7: What happened to Isildur? What happened to Celebrimbor? Did the balrog just awake?

Ep 8: No seriously, what’s in the pouch???

S01E09

It was good, all the threads tied up nicely. It doesn’t forgive the fact that the writers have made up their own plots and deviations from Tolkien’s writings, but as a wrap up for a slow and sometimes boring TV-show it was good.

The ”slow” pacing of the show makes perfect sense from a business perspective.

Of course the forging of the three elven rings is the climax of S1, if you want to drag this out into several seasons. Which, why not. Money, right? It doesn’t make for a whole lot of sense from a story-telling perspective, but from a business perspective it makes all the sense.

8 hours ago, JohnTheBaptist said:

I mean, you're interpreting every introduction of a new character as a "mystery box",

This is incorrect. After the first episodes with Míriel and Pharazôn, we know very little about them, but those are not "mystery" characters. All examples of "Who is.."  are characters where the mystery of their identity is the primary reason for why we should care about them.

8 hours ago, JohnTheBaptist said:

How is Adar a "mystery box" any more than, say, Gus Fring?

I wouldn't be half as annoyed by the Adar mystery if they hadn't cut to black just before we got a good look at him. That's literally "Tune in next week to find out!" mentality.

But really, it's about quantity. Any show, like Breaking Bad, can have a couple of mysteries without relying on the mystery format for why we should continue to watch. If Adar was one of say 2 or 3 mysteries in the show, I wouldn't mind as much.

I don't even know what "mystery box" is supposed to mean anymore. A character with an unknown past is a "mystery box"? I don't see how Adar is any more mysterious than Pharazôn, we arguably know more about the former at this point.

I suppose the whole point of Adar was just to establish the link between orcs and elves and blur the lines between good and evil to further enhance Galadriel's character arc? At least that was my impression. I never thought it needed further explaining.

Karol

18 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I suppose the whole point of Adar was just to establish the link between orcs and elves and blur the lines between good and evil to further enhance Galadriel's character arc? At least that was my impression. I never thought it needed further explaining.

Karol

The point of Adar is that they needed an antagonist for the first season, given that they were holding off on their big Sauron reveal.

27 minutes ago, JohnTheBaptist said:

I don't even know what "mystery box" is supposed to mean anymore. A character with an unknown past is a "mystery box"? I don't see how Adar is any more mysterious than Pharazôn, we arguably know more about the former at this point.

24 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I mean, we don't necessarily have to agree. If you were entertained by the Adar mystery, all the more power to you. It's not like I want people to dislike the show if they don't already. But if I must define "mystery box" in one cohesive sentence, it's when the mystery is the only reason you care about something. If we had learned about Adar being a Moriondor in the first episode he appears in, I would arguably be more intrigued by his character than by the shallow "Is he Sauron?" question that the show itself plants in our heads.

I don't know what "cheap" is supposed to mean either. That approach is certainly more interesting than the standard Tolkien "Good guys are perfect and beautiful and bad guys are pure evil and look hideous and disgusting". That's the kind of storytelling I would call cheap.

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

can't answer a single question with a straight answer (problem with so many other characters in this show as well)

That's the other thing too: I had trepidations going into this show, but the two things I wasn't particularly concerned about were dialogue (which almost never bothers me in movies and shows) and pacing. They turned out to be two of the show's biggest issues.

There was a hillarious comment over one the reviews for The Guardian about Rings of Power dialogue: "Oi, Galadriel, what do you fancy for breakfest" - "'twas, in the days of old, it it said, that..." So many of the lines not only try too hard to sound old-timey, but also do that fantasy dialogue thing of using lots of random namedrops and lots of "worldbuilding" stories. "Why", says Celebrimbor to illustrate a point, "The sun started as something no bigger than the palm of my hand." Or how the great and delightful Peter Mullan has to tell this long story about Aule crafting the Dwarves instead of just, you know, saying what he means to say.

There isn't a ton of that in the movies. Little bits to give flavour like "not some blockheaded Bracegirdle from Hardbottle." Otherwise, the characters mostly just...say what they mean to say. Fancy that.

But, really, the bigger issue is the pace and the emphasis on creation myths.

34 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

That's the other thing too: I had trepidations going into this show, but the two things I wasn't particularly concerned about were dialogue (which almost never bothers me in movies and shows) and pacing. They turned out to be two of the show's biggest issues.

There was a hillarious comment over one the reviews for The Guardian about Rings of Power dialogue: "Oi, Galadriel, what do you fancy for breakfest" - "'twas, in the days of old, it it said, that..." So many of the lines not only try too hard to sound old-timey, but also do that fantasy dialogue thing of using lots of random namedrops and lots of "worldbuilding" stories. "Why", says Celebrimbor to illustrate a point, "The sun started as something no bigger than the palm of my hand." Or how the great and delightful Peter Mullan has to tell this long story about Aule crafting the Dwarves instead of just, you know, saying what he means to say.

There isn't a ton of that in the movies. Little bits to give flavour like "not some blockheaded Bracegirdle from Hardbottle." Otherwise, the characters mostly just...say what they mean to say. Fancy that.

But, really, the bigger issue is the pace and the emphasis on creation myths.

Funniest example is when Elendil is asked about what happened to Isildur’s mother and he goes on this long rant about the stars and the ocean, then finishes it by saying “she drowned” and walking away

13 hours ago, Incanus said:

Well in this show Galadriel is an awful, awful amoral, manipulative, entitled, whiny, self-centered, self-important, empty poxy pseudo-wisdom spouting character who does not care for anything or anyone but her revenge and can't answer a single question with a straight answer (problem with so many other characters in this show as well), so I guess they turned that on its head.  Looks fair but feels foul. Which I guess could be said about the whole show. What a disaster.

Oh that's a shame. I sort of assumed Galadriel will have to go on a journey to become the character we know. There is an element of dread to her in the book as well, isn't there?

Are you enjoying at least any of the music? I know you like Bear's God of War.

Karol

After reading up a bit on the lore of Tolkien, I have to say I am more disappointed in this in retrospect than during watching it.

The Istari shouldn’t appear until about a thousand years after the Battle of Dagorlad - when Isildur cut the One Ring from Sauron’s hand. (And then there’s another 2 000 years until LOTR.)

But now they appear even before the forging of the rings of power?

This “oversight” feels sacrilegious towards Tolkien’s writings. In lack of a better analogy, it’d be as if they’d made a Spider-Man movie but he doesn’t climb walls, he flies. The average viewer might say ‘who cares’, and maybe they’re right, but it’s disrespectful to the creator(s) and the fan base. In the case of Middle Earth, especially sad as Tolkien was nothing but meticulous about the history of Middle Earth. And the stories are crafted to make sense within its own mythology.

(Tolkien published four books about Middle  Earth + some books about the poetry, but there are over 30 books about the history based on his writings, many of which were edited by his son and based on unpublished works and manuscripts.)

If Gandalf appears now, doesn’t it render his presence pointless? Why wasn’t he able to help at all during (or before) the Battle of Dagorlad?

Why did Amazon do this (and how did they get away with it)?

Also, Galadriel should’ve been at home in a tree, being married, having kids. She never went to war anywhere.

On 15/10/2022 at 5:24 PM, JohnTheBaptist said:

I don't know what "cheap" is supposed to mean either. That approach is certainly more interesting than the standard Tolkien "Good guys are perfect and beautiful and bad guys are pure evil and look hideous and disgusting". That's the kind of storytelling I would call cheap.

7 hours ago, JohnTheBaptist said:

The more it pisses off the fanbase, the better. I love watching the creepy lore nerds lose their minds.

That your defence of the show often entails criticism of Tolkien (and disregard for his lore) kind of speaks volumes, no?

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I still think the "Galadriel problem" is blown out of proportion. Yes, her characterisation so far is somewhat overblown and one dimensional, but being more impulsive, stubborn, and less ultimately wise than a few thousand years later are very much character traits that I expected from Tolkien's very limited writings on her earlier years. And she didn't completely overcome that until near the end of FOTR. Given that she's stubborn and sour in 90% of her scenes, I think Morfydd Clark does an admirable job. That I noticed halfway through she reminds me of Liz Truss and can't fully get that association out of my head anymore isn't hear fault. (Disregarding the one inexcusable scene where she threatens Adar with genocide, making arguments that Tolkien himself actually struggled with in his later years when he realised that by his own beliefs, not even Orcs could be considered irredeemably evil. The illusion works only as long as you don't start drawing attention to it).

I agree with almost everything you wrote. Regarding this point, I think the quite shocking dialogue between Galadriel and Adar can be explained by the fact that, as confirmed in the last episode, Galadriel had already spent a fair amount of time in strict contact with disguised Sauron, and his influence on her mind (of which is clearly capable, as in episode 8) has put evil in her. Adar nearly says as much in his reaction ("It seems I'm not the only elf who has been in contact with darkness" and "your search for Sauron's successor should probably end in your mirror", or whatever was the original phrasing). When I saw the scene, I actually thought that was the definitive hint that Halbrand was Sauron, although there had been many others.

Totally agree that Morfydd Clark did a great performance with the material that was given to her.   

9 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The music is excellent and among the best for screen I've heard in a long time. I don't think there are many

besides McCreary (and team, I suppose).

Actually, it looks like it was just him this time.

Karol

20 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

3) The insistence of showing (almost) everything, and especially the perceived need to not only *show* almost every metaphor, but actually present it as literal fact. I'm perfectly fine with showing Valinor (Tolkien does, lots of times, in his non-LOTR writings). But showing a magical wall of light is a very far stretch considering Valinor is just a continent (although a "blessed" one populated by lesser gods and angels) with tricky waters, islands, and weather to make it a little harder to find (the world is still flat in the second age). I don't mind origin stories, and I don't mind setup - in the end, the entire Rings of Power story is just the origin story for LOTR, so the whole series is by definition setup - but it's one thing to show the gradual transformation of Mordor into the land of darkness, and another to turn some dark Indiana Jonesy MacGuffin key to blow up the Orodruin and create Mordor in a day (cue Dr McCoy).

Right. I can't off the top of my head think of prequels that do that very much: The Star prequels don't particularly do creation myths - we don't see the Jedi order being formed, or the proto-genesis of the Force, or the arcane history of the Sith. The Hobbit certainly doesn't do anything of the kind.

I dunno, maybe Prometheus?

Its just such a doomed endeavour to go into things like this: it can only disappoint.

16 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The music is excellent and among the best for screen I've heard in a long time. I don't think there are many besides McCreary (and team, I suppose) who could have done as well

While Bear uses a large amount of (credited) additional composers on a number of his projects (especially television), he wrote every single note of all 9 hours of this score himself, and he explains why in his 3rd blog post:

https://bearmccreary.com/the-lord-of-the-rings-appendices-part-3/

10 hours ago, Score said:

I agree with almost everything you wrote. Regarding this point, I think the quite shocking dialogue between Galadriel and Adar can be explained by the fact that, as confirmed in the last episode, Galadriel had already spent a fair amount of time in strict contact with disguised Sauron, and his influence on her mind (of which is clearly capable, as in episode 8) has put evil in her. Adar nearly says as much in his reaction ("It seems I'm not the only elf who has been in contact with darkness" and "your search for Sauron's successor should probably end in your mirror", or whatever was the original phrasing). When I saw the scene, I actually thought that was the definitive hint that Halbrand was Sauron, although there had been many others.

Perhaps. Good point in any case, although Sauron's mind control powers over the Noldor don't sit too well with me. Tolkien certainly grants him an at least potentially supernatural ability to charm them, but as far as I know he never implies that he did in any way, even partially, corrupt them.

In any case, bringing up a point in sub creation that so clearly bothered Tolkien himself in real life is hardly a good idea.

8 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I can't off the top of my head think of prequels that do that very much: The Star prequels don't particularly do creation myths - we don't see the Jedi order being formed, or the proto-genesis of the Force, or the arcane history of the Sith. The Hobbit certainly doesn't do anything of the kind.

I don't think I said or implied that it's a regular thing among prequels, although you could certainly argue that the entire SW prequel trilogy is just a big origin story for the Empire, and specifically Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine.

Part of the charm of going backwards from LOTR to Tolkien's writings on the Second and First Age (and before) is uncovering the origin stories of so many things that have already become familiar. And while many of these stories are very much self-sustaining (partially because they predate LOTR by decades, partially because they have been integrated so well and revised so many times), you can hardly argue that the origin story aspect is entirely beside the point - after all, the Silmarillion (in the published book) is preceded by the Ainulindalë, which is the ultimate origin story in Tolkien's whole sub-creation.

Intentionally framing some aspects as origin stories therefore doesn't bother me as such. The problem is that some of them are poorly executed (and at least often unnecessarily so).

2 hours ago, Jay said:

While Bear uses a large amount of (credited) additional composers on a number of his projects (especially television), he wrote every single note of all 9 hours of this score himself, and he explains why in his 3rd blog post:

https://bearmccreary.com/the-lord-of-the-rings-appendices-part-3/

Well, that *is* remarkable. And undermines my conviction that Shore likely couldn't, and probably wouldn't have brought half as much to the table for this project as McCreary has. On the other hand, it also raises the question of how the scoring of future seasons will be organised (but perhaps McCreary has already blogged about that as well, I'm clearly behind in these matters).

The 4 blog posts are well worth reading - they are very interesting.  And they are not that long either; They seem like they are, but there's actually a lot of pictures in them that inflate the scroll size

14 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

It felt like something really enormous was set in motion, the stakes felt galactic.

Then you fall into the same trap Star Wars did. When every movie is trying to top the spectacle and up the stakes, eventually it gets boring. And if they took that approach, I think you'd be here complaining about them copying Jackson.

22 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I don't think I said or implied that it's a regular thing among prequels, although you could certainly argue that the entire SW prequel trilogy is just a big origin story for the Empire, and specifically Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine.

I didn't imply you did.

I'm just saying: all prequels by definition do origin stories. Very few prequels that I can think of actaully do creation myths.

I think its a flawed approach, to try and "depict the undepictable."