Bear McCreary's The Rings of Power APPRECIATION thread

Jay

I finished comparing the episode 8 album to the season 1 album

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iPZSq84CsDwNeyokPVDh4adCyagChXIEW9X_-sYu5sc

All of "The Mystics" track shows up on either the episode 7 or 8 album apart from a little 10 second bit.

Right now, there are 2 bits of music on the season 1 album I have not located yet on the episode albums (other than the concert arrangements, I mean)

• 4:45-5:33 of In The Beginning (0:48)
  • 3:33-end of Nobody Goes Off Trail (0:52)

If anybody figures out where they can be found on an episode album, let me know!

39 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

You say the main melody of the Rings of Power finally reveals itself at 2:38. Isn't that actually 2:13?

Ups, you're right, my mistake! Now it's correct. I also updated some of the youtube links, since they appeared to not be working, at least for me

36 minutes ago, Jay said:

I finished comparing the episode 8 album to the season 1 album

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iPZSq84CsDwNeyokPVDh4adCyagChXIEW9X_-sYu5sc

Right now, there are 4 bits of music on the season 1 album I have not located yet on the episode albums (other than the concert arrangements, I mean)

• 4:45-5:33 of In The Beginning (0:48)
  • 3:33-end of Nobody Goes Off Trail (0:52)
  • 1:24-1:57 of The Mystics (0:23)
  • 0:00-0:09 of Perilous Whisperings (0:09)

If anybody figures out where they can be found on an episode album, let me know!

I also did an spreadsheet at the beginning of the season, comparing them, just in case you or someone wants to take a look, but I suspect it might be very similar.

• That section of "In the Beginning" I suspect is an album only segment, perhaps an alternate to what plays in the episode, that is used to facilitate the flow of one cue to the other.
  • "Nobody Goes Off Trail" is just an extended variation on Nori's Theme, since what plays in the episode is much shorter, so perhaps McCreary decided it would offer a better listening experience that way
  • That short segment of "The Mystics" I think it's just a small only-album transition to help those cues flow together
  • The first ten seconds of "Perilous Whisperings" appear in "An Intriguing Suggestion", from 3:29 to 3:39 of that cue.

On 14/10/2022 at 12:25 PM, Knight of Ren said:

I also updated some of the youtube links, since they appeared to not be working, at least for me

What happened was they took down every youtube track from the original 37-track album, and re-uploaded them all anew as part of the new 38-track album

I also did an spreadsheet at the beginning of the season, comparing them, just in case you or someone wants to take a look, but I suspect it might be very similar.

I definitely saw and loved your google doc- great work!

• That section of "In the Beginning" I suspect is an album only segment, perhaps an alternate to what plays in the episode, that is used to facilitate the flow of one cue to the other.

I also think it's an alternate, because I don't think there's any other scene in any other episode that would require music like this.

• "Nobody Goes Off Trail" is just an extended variation on Nori's Theme, since what plays in the episode is much shorter, so perhaps McCreary decided it would offer a better listening experience that way

Sure, but it's possible he pulled that statement of Nori's theme from a different episode, and we just haven't figured out where from yet!

• That short segment of "The Mystics" I think it's just a small only-album transition to help those cues flow together

Nah, it's inside "Encountering Servants" from 1:32-2:09!

• The first ten seconds of "Perilous Whisperings" appear in "An Intriguing Suggestion", from 3:29 to 3:39 of that cue.

Ah there it is - thank you!

So what exactly are Find the Light and The Promised King on the season album?

EDIT: Never mind, I checked out Jay's spreadsheet. It's nothing that cannot be heard elsewhere. :)

Karol

GEMA has an entry for something called "Song of Paradise", composed by both Bear and JD Payne; Is this just another name for "This Wandering Day", or is it something else?

image.png

Also, LTUM seems to be a code-name for the show?  For Bear's title card cue from Episode 1, it shows this:

image.png

Also interesting is that there's a single entry for the end credits cues for the first 3 episodes

image.png

Episode 1 used "Where The Shadows Lie (Instrumental)" album name / "Where The Shadows Lie (Violin Version)" GEMA name

Episode 2 used "Khazad-dûm" album name / "Underground City (Soundtrack Version)" GEMA name

Episode 3 used "The Stranger" album name / "Stranger (Alt Version)" GEMA name

Hmm, I think that would be composed by Payne only? 

This Wandering Day has orchestral accompiament Bear wrote

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

For This Wandering Day? It was by Payne. 

Wouldn't it be more likely he wrote the lyrics? And either the actor or Bear came up with the rest?

Or is there official confirmation (Beyond GEMA)

I created a "complete" playlist of all the episode albums preceded by Shore's main title and followed by all the suites sans instrumental Where the Shadows Lie as it appears at the end of episode 1 already. I placed Fiona Apple song at the very end as a coda. 8 hours and 2 minutes in total!

And I also have a separate 55-minute suite album.

To be honest, it is probably enough. 😄

Karol

On 14/10/2022 at 8:20 PM, Jay said:

YT, Spotify, Tidal: just streaming

Soundcloud: just streaming, albums geoblocked

Apple music: it'd be paying Apple money for Apple format, no thanks

7digital, Quobuz: stores geoblocked

Presto, Hdtracks, Highresaudio: not blocked here but they don't have any of the albums

YoU WOulDn't sTeAl a cAr

Could "Song of Paradise" be the Valinor theme? Could explain why it appears in episode 1 with characters singing when Bear didn't join until after the shoot, and why he says there's an interesting story behind the theme appearing there.

6 hours ago, Alan said:

Could "Song of Paradise" be the Valinor theme? Could explain why it appears in episode 1 with characters singing when Bear didn't join until after the shoot, and why he says there's an interesting story behind the theme appearing there.

I am sorry I don't understand the explanation. Are you saying JD Payne composed the text to be sung on set and the melody and then Bear added more elements and that is why they both receive the credit?

Episode 8 has truly some womderful writing with themes joining, intertwining or on top of eachother.

Sauron & The Stranger

Halbrand & The Rings Of Power

Halbrand & Sauron

I discover new things everytime I listen to the albums. I love it!!

56 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I am sorry I don't understand the explanation. Are you saying JD Payne composed the text to be sung on set and the melody and then Bear added more elements and that is why they both receive the credit?

Likely Payne wrote the melody they are singing on set, and Bear wrote the  orchestral score you hear under it, so that single cue gets credited to both. 

50 minutes ago, Jay said:

I guess Payne wrote the lyrics then? 

If he ever blogs about episode one we'll have our answer. 

He couldn't write the lyrics without the melody because they are clearly singing the melody in that scene too.

It is a mystery how that scene came about.

I think the simplest explanation - 

They re-shot the scene once they heard Bear's theme and thought it might be good to use and JD wrote elvish lyrics for it.

53 minutes ago, dylanskie said:

I didn't see a breakdown of Street Musicians in either thread:

On a separate note, interesting that Halbrand's/the Southlands theme in Transformed by Darkness was originally played on a fiddle (heard on the album) but changed to a cello (heard in the episode) according to Bear's third blog. I think the cello works much better there and wish that was the version he released!

Thanks for the source breakdown :) I think I only explictly heard one of the pieces possible in episode 3.

100% with you on that cue - the version in the show sounds much better. I guess Bear preferred his version so that went on the album. It's not a highlight of the score for me though, so I can live with that variation. I was slightly more bummed that he left off the brief cue where Galadriel tells him not to kill Adar.

4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Episode 8 has truly some womderful writing with themes joining, intertwining or on top of eachother.

Sauron & The Stranger

Halbrand & The Rings Of Power

Halbrand & Sauron

I discover new things everytime I listen to the albums. I love it!!

YES!  It's so good!  I keep listening to the whole episode 8 album

1 hour ago, dylanskie said:

I didn't see a breakdown of Street Musicians in either thread:

0:00-0:39

Episode 3, 31:52-32:31, when Halbrand drinks with Numenoreans. Chronologically between To the Hall of Lore and The Successor

0:39-2:12

Episode 3, 51:09-52:42, when Isildur, Eärien, and Elendil drink and talk together. Chronologically between We Wait for You and Both Our Bloodlines

Also reused in Episode 4, 35:00-35:48, when Eärien and Kemen bump into each other. Same music from episode 3

2:12-2:45

Couldn't find this short cue, I thoroughly searched through all episodes this morning, either I missed it or it went unused. I'll listen for it when I rewatch the season soon. It's a solo fiddle which suggests it's either for the Southlands or the Harfoots

2:45-end

Episode 6, 54:24-55:16, post-battle celebration. Chronologically at 6:29 in Transformed by Darkness

Thanks for that!  I was dreading having to figure it out myself :lol:

1 hour ago, dylanskie said:

On a separate note, interesting that Halbrand's/the Southlands theme in Transformed by Darkness was originally played on a fiddle (heard on the album) but changed to a cello (heard in the episode) according to Bear's third blog. I think the cello works much better there and wish that was the version he released!

He should have put the cello version on the episode album, and the fiddle version in "The Promised King"!

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

100% with you on that cue - the version in the show sounds much better. I guess Bear preferred his version so that went on the album. It's not a highlight of the score for me though, so I can live with that variation. I was slightly more bummed that he left off the brief cue where Galadriel tells him not to kill Adar.

I forgot about that cue he left off—I've been trying to forget about the few that are unreleased so I don't get too upset about them :lol: But that's a beautiful cue. Maybe we'll get it in some form in the future.

55 minutes ago, Jay said:

He should have put the cello version on the episode album, and the fiddle version in "The Promised King"!

My first hope when I realized there were two versions was that I'd missed the cello version in The Promised King (because I didn't listen to it much compared to Transformed by Darkness), so I ran to listen to it but was obviously disappointed!

By the way, here's what Bear said about the two versions:

Everyone on the post-production team offered unique perspective and expertise. We had to come together in agreement, like a family, and find common ground to tell the story in the best way possible. Where would we feature the music? Where would we pull music back and feature the sound effects? What dialog lines, sound effects, or musical passages needed clarification? These dub review sessions allowed us to dig into details and nuances in the score that only I would know about.

(Picture of Galadriel and Halbrand in The Promised King scene)

For example, on one occasion, my friends in post-production made a strong case that my piercing Hardanger fiddle melody clashed against the mid-range tenor of an actor’s whispered dialog. They wanted to mute the melody, so that we only heard the subtle string chords from the background layer. I stood firm that the melody had narrative significance in later episodes, so audiences needed to hear it in this scene. I proposed an alternative approach: what if the melody were performed by the warm, low tones of a cello instead? They agreed to give it a shot. My team was able to re-record the line as a cello solo, remix the cue, and get it back to the stage the next day. Now, the scene worked beautifully! The dialog was crisp, and a significant narrative arc was subtly foreshadowed by an evocative melody in the score.

When everyone in post-production agreed that the mix was perfect, then showrunners heard it. For the first time in my career, the showrunners’ first impression of a mix occurred after I had already weighed in on the presentation of my music, and after my changes had been implemented. Thus, the showrunners could respond to a complete version of each episode, reacting authentically to the narrative and emotion. This workflow Ron Ames and his team designed freed up the creative and mental bandwidth of our showrunners, the most important resource any series has.

Bear said he composed around 9 hours for the series. After I added bits from the season album to the episode albums that weren't on them (like those few seconds in The Mystics), I'm at 8 hours and 7 minutes. (By the way, the additions were smooth and easy to do and eliminated all the repetition. Bear would hate me for messing it all up, though :lol:) The only track that's somewhat repetitive is the alternate/concert version/whatever for the ending of Both Our Bloodlines in Nobody Goes Off Trail from the season album, and I got it down to 1:48, though the majority of that is new music anyway. Even if 15 minutes from the episodes have been unreleased (like the cues at the start of episode 7 that were shortened for the album or that brief Nori statement in episode 2), there could still be 30-60 minutes more that we haven't heard in any form. Probably including some alternates. To have only that much music unreleased from a season with 8 hour+ long episodes is impressive!

Yes, there are tons of instances where he has cut out perhaps 10-20 seconds of music in order to join two related scenes together, or sometimes just to cut out a section he obviously didn't think was interesting.

In terms of full cues with a clear beginning and end, the only three I can remember are the one I mentioned above (just after that 20-minute Southlands cue ends), a brief transitional cue with Nori's theme in episode 2, just before Offering Snails and a 60 second or so cue in episode 8 which would come before track 6. I think those full cues would add up to no more than 2-3 minutes, but with microedited and crossfaded cues we're probably looking at 5-6 minutes, perhaps.

37 minutes ago, dylanskie said:

Even if 15 minutes from the episodes have been unreleased (like the cues at the start of episode 7 that were shortened for the album or that brief Nori statement in episode 2), there could still be 30-60 minutes more that we haven't heard in any form. Probably including some alternates. To have only that much music unreleased from a season with 8 hour+ long episodes is impressive!

I reckon his 9 hours is probably either including the suites or just him doing his normal misremembering thing. Even if it is including alternate material.

I'm not sure whether there's a lot of shortening going on in episode 7 - the opening cue sounds like some sort of alternate to me, as the low choir with Sauron's theme doesn't appear, does it? He might've edited down the opening ambience bit (unfortunately the bit I really liked) but I think the rest is reasonable accurate.

37 minutes ago, dylanskie said:

I forgot about that cue he left off—I've been trying to forget about the few that are unreleased so I don't get too upset about them :lol: But that's a beautiful cue. Maybe we'll get it in some form in the future.

I think that if he didn't think those sections were worth attaching to a nearby track for an episode album, it's unlikely they're ever going to come out, short of a session leak.

12 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Yes, there are tons of instances where he has cut out perhaps 10-20 seconds of music in order to join two related scenes together, or sometimes just to cut out a section he obviously didn't think was interesting.

In terms of full cues with a clear beginning and end, the only three I can remember are the one I mentioned above (just after that 20-minute Southlands cue ends), a brief transitional cue with Nori's theme in episode 2, just before Offering Snails and a 60 second or so cue in episode 8 which would come before track 6. I think those full cues would add up to no more than 2-3 minutes, but with microedited and crossfaded cues we're probably looking at 5-6 minutes, perhaps.

I reckon his 9 hours is probably either including the suites or just him doing his normal misremembering thing. Even if it is including alternate material.

I'm not sure whether there's a lot of shortening going on in episode 7 - the opening cue sounds like some sort of alternate to me, as the low choir with Sauron's theme doesn't appear, does it? He might've edited down the opening ambience bit (unfortunately the bit I really liked) but I think the rest is reasonable accurate.

Yes, you're right—he might've been rounding up to 9 hours. 8 hours and 7 minutes includes the suites, but if you add 5-6 minutes and alternates, that gets close to 9 hours.

The opening cue (as presented in episode 7) is about 4:40 long compared to 3:03, so that adds 1:37 if the cue was heavily edited to match the episode or 4:40 to the alternates.

I was wondering if we'd get any more music from the season but since we're close enough to 9 hours, I doubt it. Not complaining though

I think when he says 9 hours he’s talking about his effort - he in total wrote about 9 hours of music. So even though what’s released to the public is 8 hours, he actually composed about 9 hours.

And the reason is that he surprisingly had to re do very few scenes. He says most of what’s in the show is his version one. Like he says Khazad Dum intro is what he wrote note for note without any alteration.

An example of alternates he gives is the finale of Episode 4 White Leaves. His version 1 was without Galadriel’s theme being used. So he wrote a version 2 which was used in the episode. 

so in his mind he composed 9 hours. 

On 16/10/2022 at 3:35 AM, Holko said:

YT, Spotify, Tidal: just streaming

Soundcloud: just streaming, albums geoblocked

Apple music: it'd be paying Apple money for Apple format, no thanks

7digital, Quobuz: stores geoblocked

Presto, Hdtracks, Highresaudio: not blocked here but they don't have any of the albums

If the country that you live in does not have lossless music download stores, can't you use a VPN to purchase albums in lossless from another country's store?

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

If the country that you live in does not have lossless music download stores, can't you use a VPN to purchase albums in lossless from another country's store?

I tried Quobuz once but it caught me when paying. I'm not gonna continue trying to go out of my way to trick and appease these dumb motherfuckers who aren't even allowing me to legally pay for their product.

I will get the season album physically though.

4 hours ago, Holko said:

I tried Quobuz once but it caught me when paying. I'm not gonna continue trying to go out of my way to trick and appease these dumb motherfuckers who aren't even allowing me to legally pay for their product.

I will get the season album physically though.

Neither would I. If all I end up with are files that are indistinguishable from legally purchased ones, I'll try to buy them from an official source, but if the licence holders prevent me from doing that, I'll get a copy somewhere else and be done with it.

I'm waiting for the Mondo CD to be available on Amazon before listening though. And hoping for affordable CD releases of the individual episodes.

28 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm waiting for the Mondo CD to be available on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B9ZVRT9B/

28 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

And hoping for affordable CD releases of the individual episodes.

I speculate the collection of 8 albums could be as cheap as $60 or as much as $100.  Maybe we should expect $75 or $80.

Hopefully we find out soon (and that they are even coming to CD and not vinyl-only)

I remember reading on one of Bear's blog posts that he did get to conduct the score (or at least part of it) of the season finale. If he manages to write one blog post per episode, I hope he mentions which cues of S01E08 he conducted on Alloyed's post.

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

*German* Amazon, I should have said:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0B9ZVRT9B/

Although I still have a few US-only Blus in by Amazon.com basket, so I might just grab it from there after all.

I just heard episode 8's album, and I'm confidant that this is probably the best score for an episode of the show, ahead of the other 7. I liked the previous ones too (specially 1, 2 and 6), but E08's music is very special. 

I wonder which episode Bear will submit to consideration for next year's Emmys. As I said, I think 8 has the better score, but 1 might be more accessible to the Emmy voters?

Yea I think it might be the best too, but sadly one issue both episode 1 and 8 share is no Khazad-dun or Durin theme appearances.

Episode 1's score also lacks the Numenor theme

The only episodes with most of the themes present is 5 or 7, though Harfoot Life isn't in 5

I finally got to listen to the OST album. I didn't want to listen to anything from the later episodes before they came out. I only checked out some suites beforehand. I have to say it is a very good assembly for a casual listen. It feels like it covers enough ground to sayisfy most people as well.

Karol