Bear McCreary's The Rings of Power APPRECIATION thread

Jay

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Huh. That's a perfectly logical explanation... And yet is also really strange. And doesn't really explain why the Plan 9 guy is credited in GEMA but not on the album. 

Their song didn't end up on the album, so why would they be credited?

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Why is he credited In GEMA then? 

I don't really know anything about how GEMA works, but isn't the difference that they did create a song (which is documented on GEMA) but it was replaced by Valinor's theme (which ended up on the album)?

Right but if the song was never used anywhere, it wouldn't have to be submitted. And the entry has the Plan 9 guy AND Bear as co-writers, so it seems like an entry for the final used cue. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Right but if the song was never used anywhere, it wouldn't have to be submitted. And the entry has the Plan 9 guy AND Bear as co-writers, so it seems like an entry for the final used cue. 

Perhaps they're considering the mouth movements to be written by the Plan 9 guy

Chatting with Bear McCreary about his work on The Rings of Power, God of War, and more!  We'll talk about his work creating the themes for the show, connecting to The Lord of the Rings' Third Age, and what's in store for Season 2!

Still no sign of Bear's episodic blogs, or physical releases of the episodic albums

I wonder if either topic gets brought up in that interview (I haven't had time to watch yet)

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Still no sign of Bear's episodic blogs, or physical releases of the episodic albums

I wonder either topic gets brought up in that interview (I haven't had time to watch yet)

Around 48 minutes in he says the blogs will be coming out early 2023

That's probably what it is, he probably had too many deadlines for actual score writing between now and the end of the year and foresees a break in that near the start of next year

• 4 weeks later...

This is very strange - my physical CD copy has now shipped.

It's strange because I ordered it along with Powell's Don't Worry Darling, and so therefore I assumed I wouldn't get either until the latter was printed and shipping.

However, they've decided to break up the order, and sent LOTR alone to me.  Why do this now, when that could have happened weeks ago when everybody else's LOTR orders shipped?

All anybody knows is the text on the product page

https://mondoshop.com/collections/all-music/products/the-lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-season-one-original-soundtrack-2xcd

Your guess is as good as any of ours on how long it will be around for!

Personally, I think that in 2022, soon to be 2023, every CD should be considered "limited" unless it's like, Taylor Swift or Michael Jackson levels of sales

I listened to all the albums again over the past few days and everytime I'm impressed with how good this is. The thought and hard work that went into this is heard in every note and I feel every note is there for a reason.

This is 100% my score of the year.

And @Monoverantusthanks for your video, been awaiting it and it was try a joy to watch!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Making up my mind on getting Mondo release or waiting for the physical releases of the episodic albums.

Not big fan of the score actually.

Any help?

Well, it's an important score and even though today I don't really enjoy it THAT much, it can grows in me. This definitely happens.

Also, strangely enough, buying overseas nowadays makes for better offers the more items you order at the same time.

I get the impression that Bear wanted and maybe was told the episodic releases would get physical editions too, but then the show wasn't popular enough and that marketing money dried up

• 2 months later...

As a fan of Bear, I gave a listen to the first few released pieces and wasn't hugely impressed, so I haven't yet listened to any of the score. Do the majority of people here recommend his score? And should I finally listen to it?

I have only watched about half of the first episode and then gave up because it was so bad, and I have since seen moments and heard about what happened and it sounds like an atrocious series. 

So I will not be watching it, as a huge LOTR fan, but should I overlook that and still try the score?

33 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

As a fan of Bear, I gave a listen to the first few released pieces and wasn't hugely impressed, so I haven't yet listened to any of the score. Do the majority of people here recommend his score? And should I finally listen to it?

I have only watched about half of the first episode and then gave up because it was so bad, and I have since seen moments and heard about what happened and it sounds like an atrocious series. 

So I will not be watching it, as a huge LOTR fan, but should I overlook that and still try the score?

Half of the board (maybe): Yes!

Other half (maybe): No!

Just give Tracks 3-15 of the main album a spin. They’re basically all theme suites anyway. If you like it play the rest. Personally, I don’t really play the episode albums, but the main OST has some of my absolute favorite material from Bear. And this is from someone who saw the whole season and ultimately didn’t like the show.

18 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I mean, its a score of lovely colour and athletic melodicism. And the contributions by both Howard Shore and Plan 9 and David Long are all quite worthwhile.

The main thing that weighs it down is that it sounds nothing like Howard Shore, but utilizes many of his orchestral colours throughout. So one is left thinking: "Man, are the Howard Shore scores awesome or what!"

13 hours ago, Erik Woods said:

McCreary's wonderfully lyrical scores perfectly complement what came before by taking Shore's brilliant musical template and injecting his own unique sounds

I think "complements what came before" is the part where we have to disagree. Bear does not - indeed, cannot - quote anything from Howard's score, and in general his approach is NOTHING like Howard's, melodically, harmonically, structurally or orchestrationally.

None of which, by the way, is an issue in and of itsel: its a different score for a different Middle Earth, just like Leonard Rosenman's. And as you say - as did I, as did most members of the board here when listening to Bear's score - when taken in and of itself and not as comparison to Shore's score, its a lovely, beautiful, moving work of musicianship.

But Bear DOES try to pay homage to Shore, but in the most superficial, grafted on way possible: associative timbres. So, Hobbits still get celtic instruments, Dwarves get basses and tenors, Elves get altos and sopranos, Men get Hardinfelle, the bad guys get percussion and very nasal-sounding woodwinds.

So there's a disonance between what the melodies and orchestration tell you - which is that this is a new score, for a new Middle Earth - and what the associative timbres tell you - that this is a score in the same lineage as the Shore scores. The fact that there ARE tracks by Shore and by David Long and Plan 9 only exacerbates the issue, as do the visuals. The score, like the show, has an identity crisis, and those elements that ARE like the New Line films clash against those that aren't.

I felt the issue with the two preview tracks Bear put out was that 'Sauron' isn't one of the better ones, or at least not when you're unfamiliar with the sound of his score. I'd have put out Galadriel and Numenor.

32 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I think "complements what came before" is the part where we have to disagree. Bear does not - indeed, cannot - quote anything from Howard's score, and in general his approach is NOTHING like Howard's, melodically, harmonically, structurally or orchestrationally.

Everything you've pointed out is valid from a scholar perspective, but you'll probably find that the majority of 'appreciators' either don't notice these things (me) or just don't really care, if it's good, emotionally resonant scoring.

In my case I never thought Shore's piece was particularly remarkable so there's a clear disconnect between what styles work for different people.

I think most people instinctively notice that the score sounds nothing like Shore's. They may not be able to articulate exactly why, but one just feels it. Just the fact that somebody slapped a tin whistle here and there doesn't really change that.

Of course, but my point is that most people outside of hardcore Shore fans just don't care that it's not, if they feel the show is well-scored, which most people seem to think is.

It is very well scored! Its jus the timbral 'memberberries stick out...

That, and those parts of the score that ARE by Howard Shore et al.

I rarely listen to the episode scores; it's just nice to know they're there. I'd agree that if you listen to the first half or so of the OST you can base a fair opinion on that.

I'd suggest that it's more consistent than Shore's music in terms of engagement, but when Shore's on top form (which is most of FotR and TTT particularly) he takes it.

8 hours ago, Chen G. said:

That's NOT what I meant when I said it's complementary to what came before.

8 hours ago, Chen G. said:

But Bear DOES try to pay homage to Shore, but in the most superficial, grafted on way possible: associative timbres. So, Hobbits still get celtic instruments, Dwarves get basses and tenors, Elves get altos and sopranos, Men get Hardinfelle, the bad guys get percussion and very nasal-sounding woodwinds.

This is what I meant, but I disagree wholeheartedly that he did it in a superficial way.  McCreary's score FEELS like Middle Earth because he took Shore's blueprint/musical language and made it his own. It's much like what Franglan did with Avatar 2. While Franglon was allowed to use Horner's pre-existing themes, Franglan took Horner's musical blue print from the first film (and his overall musical identity), elaborated on it, and made his score fresh yet familiar!

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Is it as good as Shore's LOTR music? No (very few things are).

Is it better than most things written for big budget Hollywood stuff on this day and age? Sure it is.

McCreary did put a lot of work and thought into crafting his scores and, especially, his themes. While these days everyone just put out the most generic themes possible, he had a lot of effort crafting unique sounds for each place, culture, etc.

There really isn't anything that can come close to what Shore did but McCreary sure did come close. 

BTW, did you have a chance to watch McCreary's IFMCA interview about the score? He shares some interesting insight into the creation of the score, it's development, the themes, and it's recording.

Does anyone have a good quality file of the concert suite? There used to be like a really good sounding recording on youtube, but I failed in downloading it before it was removed. There are these recordings, but they dont sound as good. Please, if anyone has it, let me know.

35 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

McCreary's score FEELS like Middle Earth because he took Shore's blueprint/musical language and made it his own.

But he didn't.

He took his own musical language, and gave it a Howard Shore paintjob.

49 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

But he didn't.

He took his own musical language, and gave it a Howard Shore paintjob.

I think this is something we are just going to have to agree to disagree on.

-Erik-