All-Star ‘Peter Gunn’ Session With John Williams, Quincy Jones, Herbie Hancock Pays Tribute to Henry Mancini

Once

It is cool when three 90 year olds show 20 year olds how to be cool.  

This will part of a documentary on Mancini.  I love these kinds of projects, and how great is it that Williams is playing the theme on piano six and a half decades later?  These sorts of things have little to no precedent and it is hard to imagine them happening again.  

18 minutes ago, King Mark said:

wait this happened recently 

18 hours ago, Once said:

the celebration began on Thursday

It’s probably for the best I wasn’t there in the room with Herbie, John and Q - the sound of me raving incoherently, trying to form the words to express a combination of delirious excitement and general I’m-Not-Worthy-ness would have definitely ruined the recording.

I’m not sure whose boots I would have licked first.

Mark

• 4 months later...

Truly enjoyable, and hopefully we'll get the album soon. 

Both videos (the sessions) and the actual reporter with interviews are lovely to watch.

2 hours ago, karelm said:

He's so full of charm and modesty.  A real gem of a human being.  It also looked like he was having some fun being a session player for a change.  I bet he felt like 26 year old again.  

It must have been a bit surreal for him to be doing session work, so to speak, at this stage in his career—a fun little time warp. I’m looking forward to this album!

3 hours ago, Ramoninoff said:

ohhhh at the start, he's playing the opening to the second movement of Brahms Piano Concerto No.2 again. He played that during the recording session for The Fabelmans when he was trying to impress Joanne Pearce Martin as shown in my profile pic.

haha, i feel like that's his goto passage to show off his piano skills now in public.

I'd be happy if this upcoming documentary just showed Williams amusing himself at the piano for a few hours. But i could do without the commentary!

the funniest part of this video is he literally just puts one finger on the piano an everyone freaks out and just stares at him. Clearly hes just sitting like anybody else, but totally unclear of his god level status

I wonder if he truly enjoyed every moment he was there that day, or if something like "every minute I'm sitting here waiting for the next take to start is a minute I could be composing instead"

Nah I think the novelty of it would have made it completely fun since it was both a recording session and a publicity stunt. Looks like as much of a social event as an actual workday. He obviously has no interest in going back to being a real session pianist. 

Excellent videos.  Mancini's son-in-law's claim that no one else has created such universally recognized themes is extra laughable, given the context.  

Edit: Perhaps I need to clarify.  The claim is laughable bc the man who also has created universally recognized themes and to an even greater extent is literally in the room while the son-in-law is talking.  

16 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

And Baby Elephant Walk. Though most people probably have no idea where that's from or who wrote it (I didn't for a long time).

true. thats actually a pretty groovy tune

Baby Elephant Walk is one of those tunes that just IS. Way more people know the tune than have any idea what it is, what it's from, or who wrote it.

I don't know if this continues to be the case.

• 7 months later...

Way back in the main post (from Oct 2022) it said it wasn't coming out until 2024 (which is the year Mancini would have been 100).  But I don't think we know what quarter/month yet