Questions to Bear McCreary

Monoverantus

8 minutes ago, Bounty95 said:

I hope this is not an off-limit question. 

Nah nah that's fine. You can post whatever questions you want, but if they concern future seasons I can't guarantee that he can or wants to answer.

1. How did he manage his other projects while he was concentrating so heavily on this?

2. How does Bear choose which projects get the “100% Bear” treatment? Or do some projects have a contractual obligation that he personally will be involved in “x” amount of cues etc. 

3. When does he sleep? 😁

So stoked for this @Monoverantus! Congratulations on booking such a big interview! I have no doubt it will be a terrificly granular and nerdy smorgasbord of info for these scores!

Wow, incredible that you booked an interview with him. How did that go? (A question for you)

I would love to know which was the hardest theme to come up with/compose?

2nd might be off limits. But if he's allowed, would he want to incorporate Shore's main title maybe somewhere?

5 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Wow, incredible that you booked an interview with him. How did that go? (A question for you)

I just asked him on twitter. He's interacted with me a few times before (including watching my video back in August), he seems quite happy to interact with fans in general.

8 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I would love to know which was the hardest theme to come up with/compose?

2nd might be off limits. But if he's allowed, would he want to incorporate Shore's main title maybe somewhere?

He's answered both of these in streams and articles. 1: Elrond 2: He's open to it

I can't think of anything specific at the moment but I always enjoy the question giving our insights into their thought process. The genesis of ideas, how they land on the right ones etc. I enjoy seeing how other people's minds work, if that makes sense.

Also, I am also wondering, like many others,  if Bear ever sleeps.

Karol

3 hours ago, Monoverantus said:

So, I’ve booked an interview with Bear in December, where the two of us will dig deep and talk about Easter Eggs and nerdy stuff.

AWESOME!!

What did you know in advance?

He made it clear in his blog posts he had the scripts to all 8 episodes before he began composing the music.

"My creative process began with several video conferences to discuss the broader scope of the narrative, with J.D Payne, Patrick McKay, as well as producers Lindsey Weber, Justin Doble, Callum Greene, and Ron Ames, who coordinated the series’ massive post-production apparatus. (I had still never met any of them in person, beyond Lindsey from our work at Bad Robot. And though I did not know it at the time, I would not meet any of them in person until after the score was done!)

The creative team sent me cuts of the first two episodes. My musical imagination spun into overdrive as I beheld images of Valinor, Khazad-dûm, Galadriel, Elrond, and countless other icons of Tolkien’s Second Age. I felt Spanish director J.A. Bayona was clearly able to synthesize references to Peter Jackson’s visual language with his own unique directorial style. Particularly claustrophobic sequences in the second episode evoked his masterfully terrifying feature The Orphanage. I poured through the scripts for all eight episodes. As I read, the story came alive in my imagination, making me feel like a kid again, reading my favorite fantasy novels."

Why put The Stranger theme in the first trailer?

He answer this in his blog post too:

"I chose to feature The Stranger’s Theme in this trailer. The Stranger’s Theme is unlike any other because it does not share any musical traits specific to any of Tolkien’s cultures or places. We don’t know where The Stranger comes from, so he comes from everywhere and nowhere. I also just really adore this interesting harmonic progression and melody. I loved the idea that The Stranger’s Theme would be the first theme fans would hear from The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power."

Make sure you re-read all 4 blog posts so you don't ask him questions he's already answered!

42 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Mr. Bear, on page 720 of The Lord of the Rings, there is a quote from Frodo, he says “In a world full of mirth and magic, you lose time within yourself”.  Do you agree with this comment?

With the German accent too, of course

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

He made it clear in his blog posts he had the scripts to all 8 episodes before he began composing the music.

Great, I had a feeling he'd mentioned this somewhere, but hadn't checked yet.

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

Make sure you re-read all 4 blog posts so you don't ask him questions he's already answered!

Oh believe me, there's a lot of homework to do. Apart from re-reading articles and blogposts, I have a few films to watch and scores to study. Not just his own stuff, but the other composers he's cited as inspirations too (James Horner, Basil Poledouris, Jerry Goldsmith, Bernard Herrmann, Danny Elfman, John Williams, Ennio Morricone, Nino Rota, Shirley Walker, Elmer Bernstein).

So, I’ve booked an interview with Bear in December, where the two of us will dig deep and talk about Easter Eggs and nerdy stuff. Naturally, I already have a few questions that I want to ask him, but I think you guys have many suggestions too.

Very interesting! Although this might not be of interest for everybody, I would ask if he has any plan to publish the full scores (sheet music) of his work for ROP. Since he considers himself a "professional film music nerd", you might tell him that he cannot truly boast that title until he does the nerdiest possible thing in film music, which consists in publishing the written scores.   

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Mr. Bear, on page 720 of The Lord of the Rings, there is a quote from Frodo, he says “In a world full of mirth and magic, you lose time within yourself”.  Do you agree with this comment?

I'd rather go with the more appropriate: "Mr. Bear, what does Frodo say on page 720 of The Lord of the Rings"?

3 hours ago, Score said:

Very interesting! Although this might not be of interest for everybody, I would ask if he has any plan to publish the full scores (sheet music) of his work for ROP. Since he considers himself a "professional film music nerd", you might tell him that he cannot truly boast that title until he does the nerdiest possible thing in film music, which consists in publishing the written scores.   

This would be amazing! Even if that doesn't happen/isn't possible it would be cool to get a complete list of all the cue titles/slate numbers, maybe on a blog post or something 

1 hour ago, Monoverantus said:

Not just his own stuff, but the other composers he's cited as inspirations too (James Horner, Basil Poledouris, Jerry Goldsmith, Bernard Herrmann, Danny Elfman, John Williams, Ennio Morricone, Nino Rota, Shirley Walker, Elmer Bernstein).

Man. I love that my favorite composers are his favorite composers 😊

I particularly love that Conan the Barbarian is one of his favorite scores of all time (as mentioned in his Friendship Onion interview)

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Huh!  No, there's nothing about that in the 4 blog posts!  Is a 5th blog post coming, maybe?

I thought he said in the 4th post that he still wanted to do an additional post for every episode (so 8 more).

Really wish I hadn't opened this thread before watching the show. I'm just about to start watching tonight; I had been dutifully avoiding all spoilers and waiting to watch the show until the albums were available for purchase. Guess I just didn't expect to see what are probably season finale spoilers out in the open at the top of this thread. Ugh.

8 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Really wish I hadn't opened this thread before watching the show. I'm just about to start watching tonight; I had been dutifully avoiding all spoilers and waiting to watch the show until the albums were available for purchase. Guess I just didn't expect to see what are probably season finale spoilers out in the open at the top of this thread. Ugh.

Oh crap, I'm so sorry about that

I've tried my best to follow along but some of these may have already been answered. Congrats on the opportunity to interview him. Cool of you to ask the community for possible questions. 

Which of the themes, either for characters or places, was your favorite to develop?

Much of the first season felt like a long introduction (or reintroduction) to Middle Earth and the Second Age. Can you comment on how how much the musical material reflects this introductory stage of the story, and have we actually heard any of these themes in their fullest yet?

Howard Shore’s musical precedent for Middle Earth is famous for how it subtly draws connections between its leitmotifs, but music in TV often falls into a trap of playing the same motifs every time certain people or places are on screen, with little in the way of variation or connective tissue to develop the ways these motifs relate musically to one another. Can you describe how you’ve approached weaving together these new themes to create a new musical tapestry worthy of Middle Earth?

Alternate version of the last question:
Based on this first season, Rings of Power is a show about several seemingly disjointed plot lines eventually coming together to form the various catastrophes of Tolkien’s Second Age. With all this rapid jumping between characters, places, and plot beats, what has been your approach to developing a musical tapestry for the show that is as varied as what’s on screen, yet still ensures a connected, cohesive musical story is being told?

On 18/10/2022 at 10:38 AM, Stark said:

It could be interesting to ask if, should the rights become available for the show through some means, he would include any of Shore’s themes from the films.

He already addressed it in a previous interview 

1 hour ago, Gibster said:

Really hope he does the whole show solo

Me too. But will he have energy to do it? According to his blog posts, scoring the First season alone was very demanding. I don't know if he will want to subject himself to this experience every year.