Warner Bros. to Sell ‘Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring’ in Limited-Edition NFT Bundles, First for a Major Studio

Jay

54 minutes ago, jpmatlack said:

I’ve read the article twice and still don’t understand what this is…

The mathematical details are beyond me, but ultimately it's a convoluted (and very resource wasteful) way to equip digital things with the shortcomings of analogue ones.

One angle on this I haven't seen discussed: would this be subject to the usual digital movie purchasing licensing agreement (ie, that you're really only buying access to the film, access that can be revoked)?  Is this the first time a major studio is selling a digital movie that you would actually own outright?

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

One angle on this I haven't seen discussed: would this be subject to the usual digital movie purchasing licensing agreement (ie, that you're really only buying access to the film, access that can be revoked)?  Is this the first time a major studio is selling a digital movie that you would actually own outright?

Just access yes, it's no different than purchasing a digital movie on Itunes or something, except that the technology behind this is far inferior