Leonard Rosenman (a film music titan and one of John Williams's old teachers) criticized John Williams

Aliandra

Stuff like this just pisses me off because it reminds me of another thing it'd be INCREDIBLE to be able to ask Williams about while he's with us but most likely won't get his thoughts on because the only questions interviewers can ask him are the most insipid base interviewing questions imaginable.

11 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Doug Adams once made the remark that print made Rosenman sound way more crotchety than he actually was.

Yes. Picking such quotes out of context after so many years open up more questions than they answer.

And even then I could relate to a statement like "The Essay for Strings sounds like an old man's ball". Which could basically mean, it has texture and maturity, but is lacking juice and energy.

2 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

If someone is a titan, there's no need to explain who he is.

I once had to explain to a group of people who John Williams was. I always figured that everybody just knew. Goldsmith? No. Bernstein? No. Horner? No. But EVERYBODY knows WILLIAMS. Right?!?

16 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I once had to explain to a group of people who John Williams was. I always figured that everybody just knew. Goldsmith? No. Bernstein? No. Horner? No. But EVERYBODY knows WILLIAMS. Right?!?

I've recently met a few seemingly well-educated Greeks and brought up Vangelis in a conversation, even going as far as to tell them his real name (Evangelos Papathanassiou). They had no idea who that was.

2 hours ago, Fabulin said:

I've recently met a few seemingly well-educated Greeks and brought up Vangelis in a conversation, even going as far as to tell them his real name (Evangelos Papathanassiou). They had no idea who that was.

This. I attended a Greek cultural street festival last month and to my surprise, no one knew who he was. At the time, I chalked it up to Greek-Americans perhaps not being as familiar with him as native Greeks, but with what you're saying about Greek intellectuals also not recognizing him...well...

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I believe, there are a lot of well educated German people who never heard about Klaus Schulze.

Chances are they did, but they would probably refer a train conductor or local politician. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well John Williams has better teeth, so there Leonard Rosenman!

images-1.jpeg

leonard-rosenman21.jpg

Didn't he also say somewhere that he wrote better themes than Williams?

Ta da ta da da dah RO-BO-COPPP!!!

Just now, Drew said:

I'm not all that fond of Williams' concert music either. I wish he would channel his soundtrack style into it.

But then it would just be.....more soundtrack music? I like the fact that it's often in a very different style.

That being said, do check out his tuba concerto if you haven't already. It's like unreleased Jabba music, man!