Ramin Djawadi: House Of The Dragon (2022)

DangerMotif

WaterTower Music has released the first soundtrack album for the HBO original series House of the Dragon. The album features selections of the original music from the show’s first season composed by Emmy Award winner Ramin Djawadi (Game of Thrones, Westworld, Eternals, Iron Man, Uncharted, Clash of the Titans, A Wrinkle in Time). The soundtrack is now available to stream/download on all major digital music services, including Amazon. House of the Dragon is created by Ryan Condal & George R. R. Martin and stars Paddy Considine, Matt Smith, Olivia Cooke, Steve Toussaint, Emma D’Arcy, Eve Best, Sonoya Mizuno, Fabien Frankel and Rhys Ifans. The fantasy drama based on Martin’s Fire & Blood is set 200 years before the events of Game of Thrones and tells the story of House Targaryen. The season finale just premiered tonight on HBO. A second season has already been ordered.

Here’s the album track list:

1. Main Title (from “Game of Thrones”) (1:45)
2. The Heirs of the Dragon (2:27)
3. Reign of the Targaryens (1:32)
4. Rhaenyra’s Welcome (1:40)
5. A Pack of Hounds (2:57)
6. The Tournament (1:51)
7. An Impossible Choice (1:34)
8. The Rogue Prince (1:43)
9. The Prince That Was Promised (4:34)
10. Compromise and Consequences (2:54)
11. The Power of Prophecy (2:36)
12. Trouble in the Stepstones (2:26)
13. Surrender (4:15)
14. King of the Narrow Sea (6:17)
15. Lanterns at Nightfall (5:00)
16. Whatever May Come (2:54)
17. House Velaryon (2:38)
18. The Green Dress (2:50)
19. First Dance (1:06)
20. Celebration Dance (2:14)
21. Targaryen Dance (1:55)
22. We Light the Way (2:47)
23. Destiny (2:56)
24. Pass Judgement (4:21)
25. Funeral by the Sea (3:01)
26. Daemon and Rhaenyra (2:41)
27. Aemond Rides Vhagar (3:11)
28. The Hard Truth (2:31)
29. Sealed in Fire and Blood (4:10)
30. Protector of the Realm (3:15)
31. The Silent Sisters (3:24)
32. The Language of Girls (1:42)
33. A Warning (2:30)
34. Lament (3:26)
35. Fate of the Kingdoms (3:25)
36. Interests of the Realm (3:53)
37. Coronation (1:14)
38. Dragons Will Rule the Kingdom (1:36)
39. The Crown of Jaeharys (3:20)
40. Dragons Do Not Fear Blood (1:22)
41. Death and Rebirth (1:37)
42. True Meaning of Loyalty (3:17)
43. Bloodlines Will Burn (4:26)
44. The Promise (2:12)

Just now, Edmilson said:

Cool! Looking forward for someone figuring out which cues are from each episode.

Here you go

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=142913&forumID=1&archive=0

Oooh, nice. The individual EPs weren't doing a lot for me but I've been looking forward to hearing more GoT music on a proper album.

And they not only didn't do a new theme, but nicked season 5's version? (it's marked as season 5 on Spotify)

Loved the music this season but haven't had a chance to listen to the OST yet! The finale is amazing though.

For anyone who might be interested, here is my full (so far) collection of HOTDs1 covers:

House of the Dragon Scores

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzMXFM

You can browse through the collection right from this page and click the link or gallery for full resolution.

image.jpeg

How do you determine which characters get a theme or multiple themes? 

That's a great question. It just kind of happens organically as we move through the episode. Some are more obvious than others. In one episode, Rhaenys, Alicent and Viserys may need themes. 

Or Rhaenyra, for example, there are several themes for her that just kind of happened to come out of different scenes. Like there's one that is more of an emotional theme for her. Then there's the other one with the vocal in episode 3 when she returns to the camp. It's fun to combine them, depending on what the story does.

Does anyone know what he is referring to as her emotional theme?

10 minutes ago, Gibster said:

How do you determine which characters get a theme or multiple themes? 

That's a great question. It just kind of happens organically as we move through the episode. Some are more obvious than others. In one episode, Rhaenys, Alicent and Viserys may need themes. 

Or Rhaenyra, for example, there are several themes for her that just kind of happened to come out of different scenes. Like there's one that is more of an emotional theme for her. Then there's the other one with the vocal in episode 3 when she returns to the camp. It's fun to combine them, depending on what the story does.

Does anyone know what he is referring to as her emotional theme?

I think that the emotional theme he is referring to is used in the love scene with Daemon in episode 7 and also in Rhaenyra's Welcome. I've always thought that she has 2 main themes: the one I just mentioned which could be called her A theme and the choir theme which could be called B theme or Rebellious theme).

I loved how her themes came together with the Heir theme in the coronation scene in the finale, where the choir theme started alone before it was joined by the Heir theme and the choir took on an accompanying role to the Heir theme, before it segued into the Rhaenyra A theme when we the scene moved from outdoors to the map room!

13 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

I think that the emotional theme he is referring to is used in the love scene with Daemon in episode 7 and also in Rhaenyra's Welcome. I've always thought that she has 2 main themes: the one I just mentioned which could be called her A theme and the choir theme which could be called B theme or Rebellious theme).

I loved how her themes came together with the Heir theme in the coronation scene in the finale, where the choir theme started alone before it was joined by the Heir theme and the choir took on an accompanying role to the Heir theme, before it segued into the Rhaenyra A theme when we the scene moved from outdoors to the map room!

Thanks, I think its the theme that starts at :17 of Rhaenyra's Welcome, is that correct?

Just now, Gibster said:

Thanks, I think its the theme that starts at :17 of Rhaenyra's Welcome, is that correct?

Yes indeed! I really like the dulcimer accompaniment in that cue. I have been listening to the episode 1 cues for a while because of the live stream lol

It's great to have a thread only for the score! I'm currently working my way through the album to figure out the exact appearance of each of the tracks, since for example I noticed that The Power of Prohecy is made out of two different cues. The first part is for the scene in episode 3 when Rhaenyra returns to camp, and then the second part is from episode 8, when she and Daemon travel to King's Landing to visit Viserys. And I'm sure more cues are like this, for example House Velaryon or The Green Dress.

Not to do a shameless self promotion, but I have been doing a detailed analysis on the score for each episode, so feel free to check them out if you want to clarify some thematic connections. Also, I'm planning on doing a sort of thematic catalogue for the first seasons, in my blog and perhaps also in video format for YouTube, and I will definitely also share it here, in case anyone finds it interesting!

I've been listening to the soundtrack the whole day and so far my favorite cues are the different variations on all of Rhaenyra's themes, being one the best The Crown of Jaeharys, but I also love the variations on Alicent's Theme, like the one in The Green Dress or Interests of the Realm. And Aemond Rides Vhagar is so epic, and I love the Targaryen theme rendition near the end of the cue!

2 minutes ago, Knight of Ren said:

It's great to have a thread only for the score! I'm currently working my way through the album to figure out the exact appearance of each of the tracks, since for example I noticed that The Power of Prohecy is made out of two different cues. The first part is for the scene in episode 3 when Rhaenyra returns to camp, and then the second part is from episode 8, when she and Daemon travel to King's Landing to visit Viserys.

I believe it's also used in episode 2 when she returns from Dragonstone and walks towards Viserys' chamber

42 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I believe it's also used in episode 2 when she returns from Dragonstone and walks towards Viserys' chamber

Yeah, plays a couple of times in episode 2, when she retrieves the dragon egg from Daemon, and the again when she goes to Viserys' room. And there are a lot of different variations on the theme that haven't been released like when she arrives at Dragonstone or she runs away at night in ep.4

7 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Her theme is. But its not the variant released on the album

8 hours ago, Knight of Ren said:

Yeah, plays a couple of times in episode 2, when she retrieves the dragon egg from Daemon, and the again when she goes to Viserys' room. And there are a lot of different variations on the theme that haven't been released like when she arrives at Dragonstone or she runs away at night in ep.4

Indeed. And I checked again.

But you're right. The cue on the album is made of the (first half) episode 3 when she returns to the camp and (second half) when she returns in King's Landing in Ep. 8

18 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Haha. They quoted my post! Fun

I did. I even linked back to your post which makes it kinda strange that Jay linked to FSM that does link back here... While watching 1x10 I noticed that the last track "The Promise" isn't in this episode. I think it was used as an end credit cue in 1x02 or 1x03.

I just finished listening to the HOTD OST and here are my thoughts:

It's a fantastic score and overall a good OST selection. However there are quit a few "smaller" and emotional cues that were left off, like the Rhaenyra & Alicent Praying in E2, cues from the Royal Hunt in E3 and the harp cue containing Rhaenyra's themes in E7 and some others I can't name right now. I can't really complain though with a 2 hour release! Such an improvement to the early GOT releases which were often under an hour. Another nice thing is that it's mainly chronological and that each episode is represented with at least 2 cues from each episode, rectifying another problem that the GOT OSTs had where entire episodes worth of music were just missing.

My favorite themes after one listen would probably be Viserys, Rhaenyra, Rhaenyra Rebellious, House Hightower, House Velaryon, The Green Alliance, The Dance of Dragons and the Funeral theme. Djawadi really wrote great themes and used them so intelligently with full continuity, just like he did in GOT & Westworld and it's really cool that the Green Alliance theme which is heard in full in episode 9 actually appears already in episode 6, foreshadowing what is going to happen.

The cue where Aegon walks through the swords at the coronation remains one of the most impressive cinematic moments of the season and the cue is brilliant, using the Hightower theme alongside the Green Alliance theme! Rhaenyra's Coronation is another great scene where the merging of the Heir theme (both sections) and both the Rhaenyra themes really elevates it! I was also pleasantly surprised that all the battle music from episode 3 was on the OST - the Velaryon theme used in it's action variation is really epic! The final cue of episode 7 (Sealed in Fire and Blood) is also a real highlight and I love the variations of Rhaenyra's Rebellious (choir) theme where the cue grows really dark and the theme evolves with the scene perfectly. Another nice surprise is that the source cues from episode 5 were released! I think there are 2 source cues from episode 8 which are missing but I'm pretty sure that the string cue which played between the source cues in that episode at the dinner is the cue "The Language of Girls".

Another thing worth mentioning is how well Djawadi used the GOT themes and kept the musical DNA of GOT & of House Targaryen (with instruments, harmonic language etc) while making it it's own thing. It is set in Westeros and there are many connections to GOT, but it's a separate story which gets a whole new thematic identity. I was a bit worried before the show aired that HBO would demand that loads of GOT cues were used to please the masses but this was not the case at all. Djawadi used themes from GOT when it was apropriate and the effect is great when it happens! For instance the Protector of the Realm theme (often referred to as House Baratheon) got some great variations in this season, as did the Dragons / House Targaryen theme and the Dragon Flight theme and of course the GOT theme which continues to anchor the score and is just brilliant!

The moment in the final episode where a cue that starts similar to Blood of My Blood from GOTs6 felt earned and worked great! I also noticed some moments where there was a GOT influence but not in a thematic sense but in an overall style or mood sense, like Aemond's first flight which has some similarity to Jon's first flight (Flight of Dragons) in the chaotic percussion and the strings.

The prologue cue (The Heirs of the Dragon) contains one of my favorite variations of the Dragons / House Targaryen theme in all 9 Westeros score, with the soft choir and the new harmonic progressions and in the following cue the GOT Dragon themes are used so well and it really puts you back in Westeros after the hiatus between GOT & HOTD.

I think that using the main title theme from GOT in HOTD was a good idea as it brings the shows together and signals that this is abut the throne and the succession and of course it's really iconic as well so it works on two fronts. At first I was a bit dissapointed that we didnt' get a new theme but in the end the decision was good. However I think that the final cue (The Promise) which is a concert arrangement of the episode 2 end credits could have worked really well as the main title theme, with some tempo and arrangement changes. In general I think I would call the Heir theme (The Prince That Was Promised) the main theme of HOTD as it binds together the different storylines to the main storyline: the succession and the game of thrones.

All in all, brilliant score by Djawadi and I can't wait to hear what he does next in Westeros with HOTD S2 and hopefully other shows like 10,000 Ships, The Sea Snake and A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms! He has had a heck of a year with Westworld S4 and HOTD S1 airing back to back!

Yeah, there are some small important cues sadly not released, the ones I miss the most being the variations on Viserys' Theme during the royal hunt in episode 3, and also some variations on Rhaenyra's themes, especially the one at the beginning of episode 6, where she is walking through the castle right after giving birth. But I'm not complaining since this such a huge release, and the most important cues are definitely here.

My favorite theme has to be Rhaenyra's Rebellious theme, and I love the variations on the theme during the last episode, where it joins one of the other themes for her, and the Heir Theme, which is also one of my favorites! And I love that little motif that pops through all of episode 9 (Fate of the Seven Kingdoms), especially when I realized that is was used for Larys in episode 6, making a connection with how Larys' actions lead to Aegon's coronation.

I've done a more detailed chronological tracklist for the whole season. Some cues are made out of several smaller cues, like how Interests of the Realm comprises three different cues from the same episode, or how Trouble in the Step Stones is made out of (I think) three different cues from episodes 2 and 3.

Some cues are longer than what appears in the episode (like for example A Warning), and there's one piece which I cannot locate, the second half of Compromise and Consequences, starting at 1:25. The first part plays when Otto travels to Dragonstone to face Daemon in episode 2, and I though the rest was the music that plays when Rhaenyra arrives, but it's not the same, so I don't know where that would fit. Perhaps from latter in the season? I'm not entirely sure, so feel free to correct me.

I didn't liste the main titles but it plays at the beginning of every episode except for the first one. Also, that first episode plays the track A Song of Ice and Fire from S8 of GoT in the end credits.

Chronological Tracklist

Spoiler

1x01: The Heirs of the Dragon
-The Heirs of the Dragon
-The Reign of the Targaryens
-Rhaenyra’s Welcome
-A Pack of Hounds
-The Tournament
-An Impossible Choice
-The Rogue Prince (0:12 - 0:36)

-The Rogue Prince (0:00 - 0:12 + 0:36 - End)
-The Prince that Was Promised (it's missing the House Targaryen theme statement that appears in the episode)

1x02: The Rogue Prince
-Trouble in the Stepstones (0:00 - 0:25)
-House Velaryon (0:00 - 0:56)
-Compromise and Consequences (0:00 - 1:25)
-Trouble in the Stepstones (1:25 - End)
-The Promise (shorter in the episode)

1x03: Second of His Name
-The Power of Prophecy (0:00 - 1:35)
-Trouble in the Stepstones (0:25 - 1:25)
-Surrender
-King of the Narrow Sea

1x04: King of the Narrow Sea
-We Light the Way (0:05 - 1:00)
-Lanterns at Nightfall
-Whatever May Come

1x05: We Light the Way
-The Green Dress (0:00 - 1:10)
-House Velaryon (0:56 - End)
-The Green Dress (1:10 - End)
-First Dance
-Celebration Dance
-Wedding Dance

-Compromise and Consequences (1:25 - End)
-We Light the Way

1x06: The Princess and the Queen
-Destiny
-Pass Judgement

1x07: Driftmark
-Funeral at Sea
-Daemon and Rhaenyra
-Aemond Rides Vhagar
-The Hard Truth
-Sealed in Fire and Blood

1x08: The Lord of the Tides
-The Power of Prohecy (1:25 - End)
-Protector of the Realm
-The Silent Sisters (0:00 - 1:43)

-The Language of Girls
-A Warning (0:00 - 0:37 + 1:50 - End)

1x09: The Green Council
-Lament
-Fate of the Seven Kingdoms
-Interest of the Realm (0:00 - 1:15)

-The Silent Sisters (1:43 - End)
-Interest of the Realm (1:15 - 2:12)
-Interest of the Realm (2:12 - End)
-The Coronation
-Dragons Will Rule the Kingdom

1x10: The Black Queen
-Death and Rebirth
-The Crown of Jaeharys
-True Meaning of Loyalty
-Bloodlines Will Burn
-Dragons Do Not Fear Blood

12 minutes ago, Knight of Ren said:

Chronological Tracklist

Hide contents

1x02: The Rogue Prince
-Trouble in the Stepstones (0:00 - 0:25)
-House Velaryon (0:00 - 0:56)

I have the same breakdown expect for this.

I thought Trouble In The Stepstones plays fully at the end of the episode.

And I have this part of House Velaryon before the first The Green Dress (when Viserys walks through the hallway).

Otherwise I believe everything is correct (I also couldn't find the second part of Compromise And Consequences.

Edit. The second part is the wedding fight in episode 5. So plays between Targaryen Dance & We Light The Way

Great job on the breakdown! I think they’ve done a good job making this OST and the tracks that use multiple cues are well done. Some more of those smaller quiet cues would have been nice to have though like the praying cue from episode 2.

1 hour ago, Knight of Ren said:

My favorite theme has to be Rhaenyra's Rebellious theme, and I love the variations on the theme also had difficulties placing Compromises and Consequences.

I love this theme, the use during Sealed in Fire and Blood is fantastic. The suggestive opening with the choir and then the dark variation in the second part of the cue.

4 hours ago, Dave said:

which makes it kinda strange that Jay linked to FSM that does link back here.

I hadn't seen episode 10 yet and didn't want to see any spoilers

4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

The second part is the wedding fight in episode 5. So plays between Targaryen Dance & We Light The Way

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

"The Silent Sisters" also appears in 2 episodes.

0:00-1:44 Ep. 8 when Vaemond is treated with Rhaenys watching.

1:44-end Ep. 9 when Viserys is wrapped and Allicent places the crown on him.

Ohh, thanks for that! I will check again and update my original post.

EDIT: My post is now updated with this new information

4 hours ago, Knight of Ren said:

Chronological Tracklist

Reveal hidden contents

"The Rogue Prince" is comprised of three different sections of two different cues: one section from the "heir for a day" scene with Daemon in the brothel/bar, and two sections from the following cue where Viserys tells Daemon that he's named a new heir. Both of these cues are in that video of the score for the first episode if you want to use those to edit

The Rogue Prince 0:00-0:12 = "a new heir" cue 0:00-0:12

The Rogue Prince 0:12-0:36 = "heir for a day" cue 0:42-1:06

The Rogue Prince 0:36-end = "a new heir" cue 0:12-end

I am very VERY surprised how good Djawadi's score is. Compared to McCreary's leitmotif fest, the HOD is amateuristic. But at the same time, those subtle themes are amazing. I haven't the time to analyse them, but crikeys, the Zimmer-drone has finally graduated.

22 hours ago, Knight of Ren said:

Chronological Tracklist

Reveal hidden contents

My original post is updated with every new change, but I'm still unsure about one track, A Warning. The episode plays from 0:00 to 0:37, and then from 1:50 to the end. But the middle section does not play in that scene, and I cannot place where it plays in the season. Anyone has been able to figure this out yet? The rest I think is correct

I just listened to the last scene of episode 1 and realized that the Targaryen theme insert that was excluded from The Prince That Was Promised is most likely a pitch-shifted section of Breaker of Chains (from GOT season 4). I'm not sure how I missed that when I first watched the episode!

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I love The Green Dress. I can't get enough of it.

Same for Crown Of Jaeherys & Funeral By The Sea

Great cues indeed! The whole anlbum is great and there are so many highlights. The Hightower theme is really amazing and the variation in the second half of Interests of the Realm is incredible, also one of the coolest sequences of S1. I also love Rhaenyra’s themes, especially The Power of Prophecy, Rhaenyra’s Welcome and Sealed in Fire and Blood. 

The Green Alliance theme also really stands out and it sets the tense mood of episode 9 perfectly where it’s used in conjunction with various themes like Viserys and Hightower (Lament, Fate of the Kingdoms as examples).

Amazing score! Listened to the whole album 3 times now. Cant get enough of it!

There is specifically one theme I am obsessed with and I wonder who/which theme it is? It has probably been mentioned in this very thread but all the names etc of this show is so hard for me to remember so I get confused, lol!

Its the amazing vocals which appears in "The Power of Prophecy", "Sealed in Fire and Blood" and "The Crown of Jaeharys". The theme also kinda appears in "Death and Rebirth", but not the full on theme as in the previous tracks. 

1 hour ago, fenrik said:

There is specifically one theme I am obsessed with and I wonder who/which theme it is? It has probably been mentioned in this very thread but all the names etc of this show is so hard for me to remember so I get confused, lol!

Its the amazing vocals which appears in "The Power of Prophecy", "Sealed in Fire and Blood" and "The Crown of Jaeharys". The theme also kinda appears in "Death and Rebirth", but not the full on theme as in the previous tracks. 

That's one of Rhaenyra's themes. She has at least 2. The other is more emotional

1 hour ago, fenrik said:

I love this theme! I remember being really blown away when we first heard it in episode 2 and in the scene where Rhaenyra returns to the camp in episode 3! 

It is Rhaenyra’s Rebellious (or B) theme. Its great how the theme starts really small in the choir in Sealed in Fire and Blood cue before growing before turning dark in the second half. 

Rhaenyra’s (A) theme can be heard in Rhaenyra’s Welcome and in Daemon & Rhaenyra!

2 hours ago, LewWho95 said:

Has anyone worked on a list of which tracks from Game of Thrones (if any) are reused? Just looking to add them to my House of the Dragon playlist if so 

The only track that was completely reused is “A Song of Ice and Fire” from S8. It was uses in the end credits of the first episode of HOTD.

Otherwise there are no other cues that are re used. There’s surprisingly little use of the GOT themes, except where it is appropriate and makes thematic sense. The closest you can get is the dragon takeoff cue in the final episode which starts out rather similar to the beginning of blood of my blood but it’s a new arrangement and recording so not a reused track.

4 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

The closest you can get is the dragon takeoff cue in the final episode which starts out rather similar to the beginning of blood of my blood but it’s a new arrangement and recording so not a reused track.

I was disappointed that this track isn't on the album release, I really loved it in the episode. I get why it wasn't - it is pretty similar to many of the statements of that theme across GoT, but I still would've liked it as a listening experience.

On 28/10/2022 at 8:43 AM, Mr. Who said:

I love this theme! I remember being really blown away when we first heard it in episode 2 and in the scene where Rhaenyra returns to the camp in episode 3! 

It is Rhaenyra’s Rebellious (or B) theme. Its great how the theme starts really small in the choir in Sealed in Fire and Blood cue before growing before turning dark in the second half. 

I was also blown away by this theme. It 100% should've been used for the opening credits instead of just tracking in the GoT theme. Gah I'm so disappointed they did that - I'd love to know if Djawadi pitched new title music and made full demos; a choice like that reeks of corporate meddling in my experience and opinion.

16 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

I was disappointed that this track isn't on the album release, I really loved it in the episode. I get why it wasn't - it is pretty similar to many of the statements of that theme across GoT, but I still would've liked it as a listening experience.

Yea it should have definitively been on the album and it was indeed perfect for the scene. I wonder if it could be ripped. I think there wasn’t that much SvD during the scene except some wings flapping maybe.

16 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

I was also blown away by this theme. It 100% should've been used for the opening credits instead of just tracking in the GoT theme. Gah I'm so disappointed they did that - I'd love to know if Djawadi pitched new title music and made full demos; a choice like that reeks of corporate meddling in my experience and opinion.

That’s an interesting choice for Main title theme! I’ve always thought that the heir theme would have worked really well because it’s as close to a main theme that binds together all the storylines and musical identities as we get. The last track on the album (which is an album arrangement) is a good showcase of how it could have worked in the main titles (though played at a higher tempo) and I wonder if Djawadi pitched this as the main theme at one point.

Rhaenyra’s Rebellious theme would certainly have been great for the main titles as well though, maybe together with the heir theme, like it is in Crown of Jaeherys.

While I do think that it’s a producers decision, and I was disappointed at first, I kind of like that the GOT theme is used because it really binds the 2 shows together. It also works well because except for some appropriate use of GOT themes and some use of the GOT theme, the score is almost entirely based on new material so having the recognisable GOT theme in the intro really does connect the 2 scores and shows. However, I can’t help but wonder what new cue we could have gotten instead and if we had gotten a new theme, there’s no way I would habe complained and said that I wish they used the GOT theme lol. But I’m quite happy with how the intro turned out either way. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 26/10/2022 at 12:42 PM, Knight of Ren said:

My original post is updated with every new change, but I'm still unsure about one track, A Warning. The episode plays from 0:00 to 0:37, and then from 1:50 to the end. But the middle section does not play in that scene, and I cannot place where it plays in the season. Anyone has been able to figure this out yet? The rest I think is correct

A bit delayed but the track also plays (in a more complete form) for the conversation between Mysaria and Otto.

They just placed it earlier chronologically because the 1:50-end bit from episode 8 was tacked on at the end.

Yeah, I went over the episodes again and I realized that, but thanks for pointing out! I will take this opportunity to bring this thread back to life, and shre the first part of a four-part analysis on the soundtrack I have been working on, as a complement to my weekly blog posts.

The first part is about familiar themes returning from the Game of Thrones show, and how Djawadi repurposes them in new and interesting ways. I hope you enjoy this part and the rest of my analysis which will also be shared in here. Feel free to share any thoughs, corrections or additions you might have!

14 hours ago, Knight of Ren said:

Yeah, I went over the episodes again and I realized that, but thanks for pointing out! I will take this opportunity to bring this thread back to life, and shre the first part of a four-part analysis on the soundtrack I have been working on, as a complement to my weekly blog posts.

The first part is about familiar themes returning from the Game of Thrones show, and how Djawadi repurposes them in new and interesting ways. I hope you enjoy this part and the rest of my analysis which will also be shared in here. Feel free to share any thoughs, corrections or additions you might have!

Nice work! I listened to the score this morning and it again struck me how perfectly balanced the score is with the new material (which is the majority) and the use of the GOT themes. In True Meaning of Loyalty for instance, the Dragon Flight theme used as accompaniment to Rhaenyra’s theme is just such a great and exiting moment.

The score reminds me of GOTs1 in the sense that it sets up the musical identity and introduces such a vast array of thematic material (some of which we’ll probably hear fully in later seasons)!

Here's the second part of my breakdown of the themes of the show, this time focusing on all the different themes and motifs for the central character of the show, Princess Rhaenyra.

Djawadi created several different ideas that he develops through the season (and I'm sure will come back in future seasons) and I tried my best to comment them all, their meaning, and their development in each episode. I even did a complete analysis on one of my favorite cues of the season, The Crown of Jaeharys, which features almost all of Rhaenyra's themes into one single, glorious cue.

Hope you enjoy it! Feel free to share your thoughts and be sure to stay tuned for next part, where I will cover the different themes for the Black side of the story (Viserys, Daemon and House Velaryon).

On 21/11/2022 at 1:26 PM, Knight of Ren said:

I’ve been coming back to this thread daily to see if you would finally post this. Hell yeah!

And here's the third part of my breakdown of the themes of the show, this time focusing on all the different themes and motifs for the character in the black side of the story, Viserys, Daemon and the members of House Velaryon.

Djawadi created many different ideas for all this characters, some more prominent than others, and I'm sure he will get to develop many of them as the seasons go on. I tried my best to comment them all, their meaning, and their development in each episode, so I hope you enjoy it, and feel free to share your thoughts!

Next in line is the last part of my analysis, covering the themes for the greens, as well as some secondary ideas worth mentioning. Enjoy!