The Dave Filoni / Kevin Kiner (& co.) Star Wars Thread

Knight of Ren

Doesn't Ahsoka have a secondary theme, which we hear in General Loathsom / Ahsoka 0:13?

Spoiler

And at the end of the first episode of Tales of the Jedi

I think Kiner's (and co) work in the series has some terrific parts. And I feel people don't give it credit enough. And people won't commit to it because it not always have a love orchestra.

My favorite themes are definitely Ahsoka's and The Bad Batch's (introduced in S7)

2 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

And people won't commit to it because it not always have a love orchestra.

Does a love orchestra only plays Across the Stars, Han Solo and the Princess and the John Barry scores for Out of Africa and Somewhere in Time? :lovethis:

2 hours ago, Roll the Bones said:

Doesn't Ahsoka have a secondary theme, which we hear in General Loathsom / Ahsoka 0:13?

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, I know which part you mean, and I included that in the Clones & Republic section, and it's what I'm referring as the Republic Variation on the Force Theme. I know it's a bit of a stretch, but in the show it didn't always played in relation to Ahsoka, so that's why I named it a republic theme. But then I watched the first episode of Tales of the Jedi and hearing it play there confused me a bit.

As I mentioned, theme associations aren't always clear in these shows, so perhaps it ws intended as a secondary theme for Ahsoka, or perhaps it's a sort of "good guys theme" that plays whenever our main characters overcome the adversities. One thing's for sure, it's a great theme!

On 26/10/2022 at 7:15 PM, Knight of Ren said:

As I mentioned, theme associations aren't always clear in these shows, so perhaps it ws intended as a secondary theme for Ahsoka, or perhaps it's a sort of "good guys theme" that plays whenever our main characters overcome the adversities. One thing's for sure, it's a great theme!

In the movie at least, I always consider it the secondary theme for Ahsoka, and all your exaples were basically in relation to Ahsoka, so that might be what it was intended and what might have happened was the sound designer tracked it in some other place.

I love the idea and look forward to your next analysis, I definitely missed the "padawan theme" despite listening to those tracks multiple times :lol:. I love the Clones theme, and every time it shows up I cheer, it's used super effectively in Rebels (Hera's Arrival being the primary example of a fist pumping rendition) and extremely sorrowful in Bad Batch. I too do hope that this musical catalogue is respected in Ahsoka, being a continuation of Rebels, let's hope it's Kiner and co.

I think I could credibly argue in either direction "Of COURSE Ahsoka will be Kiner" and "Of COURSE Ahsoka won't be Kiner".

Am I remembering rightly that Ahsoka's theme was the first legacy theme that was used in Mando? So somebody was advocating for that.

I was only a casual viewer of Clone Wars, so I didn't even realize that Ahsoka HAD a theme until Twilight of the Apprentice in Rebels.

One of my favorite least talked about themes is the one for the Separatists:

The theme plays at 1:39 here. You can also hear a fantastic version of it in the unofficially released tracks from the episode Rising Malevolence (which I don't have offhand and can't find on Youtube, shocking) but can also be heard at the very beginning of Rogue Jedi in full live orchestral force:

I was planning on adding that theme in the next part of my analysis but you beat me to it! I hope I can have it ready before the end of the week, and I think it will include Anakin & Padme, Obi-Wan & Satine, the Death Watch, and I was also planning on adding the Separatists motif!

On 03/11/2022 at 6:38 AM, Knight of Ren said:

I was planning on adding that theme in the next part of my analysis but you beat me to it! I hope I can have it ready before the end of the week, and I think it will include Anakin & Padme, Obi-Wan & Satine, the Death Watch, and I was also planning on adding the Separatists motif!

I apologize, I wasn't trying to steal your thunder!

I can't wait to read your next post--as someone who has been analyzing Gordy Haab's soundtracks I love a good theme/motif breakdown.

On 26/10/2022 at 9:45 PM, Knight of Ren said:

Ahsoka Tano

Reveal hidden contents

The Mortis Arc

Reveal hidden contents

The Clones & The Republic

Reveal hidden contents

Anakin and Padme

Reveal hidden contents

Obi-Wan and Satine

Reveal hidden contents

The Death Watch

Reveal hidden contents

Maul & Savage

Reveal hidden contents

Ventress & the Nightsisters

Reveal hidden contents

I updated the main post with the new themes, and I think I'm done with the Clone Wars. I added Anakin and Padme, Obi-Wan and Satine, the Death Watch, Maul, Savage, Ventress and finally the Nightsisters themes.

Feel free to add any correction or any theme I might have missed. But now, I will start with my breakdown of Rebels, which I like even more!

Never realised Ventress and the Nightsisters had themes, and that Maul's theme from Rebels was in Clone Wars. The Death Watch theme reminds me of the Dies Irae, pretty sure it's intencional. Really looking forward to your Rebels analysis, I probably missed a bunch.

Wow!! That's a lot of themes I missed. I knew Cad Bane had some motif associated with him because of his apparition on the Bad Batch but I don't know why, I just forgot to include it.

But I completely missed on the other ones, and for example, as soon as I read your post, I remembered noticing the Bobba motif when watching the show, but it was a while ago, so I didn't remembered it well.

So thanks for pointing out all of these, and I will update the main post with this info (obviously crediting you) Thanks!

On 09/11/2022 at 4:59 PM, darkspine10 said:

Oh, and Boba Fett also has a theme, though it's not in any released tracks. It's here at 0:31 in this cue from Death Trap:

Here's another example of a theme for Boba:

Spoiler
On 09/11/2022 at 4:59 PM, darkspine10 said:

Jar-Jar and Naboo-set episodes in general are represented by Celtic fiddles and similar instruments, such as in this cue:

Another example (the start & 00:28):

Spoiler

Also, here's my spreadsheets on Kevin Kiner and his team's Star Wars scores: The Clone Wars, Rebels, The Bad Batch, Tales of the Jedi.

On 26/10/2022 at 8:45 PM, Knight of Ren said:

There are a couple of secondary ideas related to the clones that I want to mention, but their meaning is not always clear, so it’s not easy to name them properly. For example, in the second half of “The Clones” we get a repeating mysterious motif that appears a couple of times in some episodes, but so far, I haven’t been able to find a meaning for it.

The second half of The Clones is literally just a cue from The Box, an episode that doesn't even feature a single Clone! I have no idea why it was mixed with the final cue from Rookies, an episode from three series earlier! (Although it is the only representation for the fourth series on the Seasons One Through Six release, so I am grateful that it was included albeit cutdown)

Spoiler

On 26/10/2022 at 8:45 PM, Knight of Ren said:

There’s also a sort of Sacrifice Theme that appears in “A True Trooper”, that gets oddly reprised during the Mortis Arc in “Everyone Fighting”.

"Everyone Fighting" seems to just be a mix of tracked cues by David Glen Russell ("A True Trooper") & Kevin Kiner (cues from the rest of the arc), meaning there's no theme just an excerpt of the cue being tracked.

One other interesting thing to note about the Mortis theme is that it was brought back for several totally new compositions in Season 5... as a theme for Letta Turmond in Sabotage and The Jedi Who Knew Too Much! There's no logical connection I can think of between the two, and the later episodes are entirely new cues, not reused from the Mortis arc itself. They just decided to use the theme in an entirely new context. No examples of this have been released clean, but go to 10:22 or 18:09 in Sabotage to hear some uses of the theme.

5 hours ago, CGCJ said:

The second half of The Clones is literally just a cue from The Box, an episode that doesn't even feature a single Clone! I have no idea why it was mixed with the final cue from Rookies, an episode from three series earlier! (Although it is the only representation for the fourth series on the Seasons One Through Six release, so I am grateful that it was included albeit cutdown)

For the masterpost of themes, the 'Obi-Wan undercover' arc in Season 4 also has its own unique theme, as heard in that Box cue and a few others:

• 1 month later...

@darkspine10 @CGCJ I'm a bit late, I know, but I updated my main post with all the additions you made on the different themes, and I'm already working at the same time on the thematic breakdown of Rebels and The Bad Batch, to coincide with the release of Season 2!

I will slowly update the post first with Rebels, but I'm also using this to start a bit of conversation about the second season of Bad Batch and the music. What are your thoughts so far, on both the show and the music??

I'm enjoying Bad Batch quite a bit from a musical standpoint. The Batch's main theme, which of course debuted in TCW, is a very traditionally bombastic one, but I've grown to quite enjoy its variations. Omega's theme is a delightful piece that highlights the more emotionally resonant moments. Fennec Shand's new theme, which sadly hasn't been used for her live-action appearances, evokes Ventress' theme to my ears, a similar use of brief, sinister high notes.

The new reprises of older themes have been great too, from the Clone motif, Cad Bane, or even some John Williams' pieces like the Trade Federation march, Kamino theme, or the original Imperial theme from ANH, all of which haven't been heard in ages.

Of the episodes so far, I think Aftermath, Cornered, and Bounty Lost have my favourite soundtracks.

My daughter wanted to watch Rebels last night and she wanted to watch the first one.

I know at this point that the score is almost entirely Star Wars OT scores chopped up and repurposed (with a new theme for Ezra) but it's really well done! Heck, the tracked music in Star Trek was so much worse than this. I'm saying that while "Hey just use Star Wars music" sounds cheap and easy it was actually really done with care and (I'm guessing) love.

To this day I get chills at how Kiner uses the flutes from when Ben says "Obi-Wan Kenobi? That's a name I've not heard in a long time" as kind of this "Something is up with the Force" motif. I can't think of any other existing JW themes or music that got a new lease on life the way that one did.

Just 8 years later it's easy to forget: This was the first taste of OT Star Wars that we'd gotten in 32 years! And to do it all in Ralph McQarrie style, no less!

1 hour ago, Knight of Ren said:

Yeah, the bad batch score is great, and I love how the two main themes complement each other, the Bad Batch march accompanying some of their action sequences, while Omega's theme serves as an emotional relief for these action.

This!

1 hour ago, Knight of Ren said:

As for Rebels, I like the first seasons for what they are even with their thematic inconsistencies (which also happened in Clone Wars), but the highlights are Ezra's theme, the Grand Inquisitor's theme and then the variations on Ahsoka's at the end of Season 2, but for me, Season 3 and 4 are much better because it's where Kiner and co were able to show their own voice with so many great themes, and some variations on old ones.

Can't argue here. I mean, that's the show. It starts with plain straightforward Star Wars (which was great!) and then it built it into more. Man, I can't believe that Ahsoka and Vader (and that music!) was only at the end of season 2!

2 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

The one weird thing to me about Rebels' score in its early episodes is the quoting of Princess Leia's theme in seemingly random scenes, it happens quite often

The only time it really stood out to me was at the end of the first two parter and that was because he was quoting the end of Revenge of the Sith for Obi-Wan's Hologram. I loved when Leia DID show up and Kiner played the opening of the concert version of Leia's theme over the titles rather than the theme proper.

One of the biggest missed opportunities was the end of the episode with Ben. It ends with Ben watching Luke and it plays Lost R2. Then the sunset music plays over the credits. If they had jiggered it around just a bit, that's the piece that ends with the flutes playing the Rebel theme!

My favourite bit of Rebels' reuse of Williams material is when the opening of Walker Assault theme from ESB is made into a more sustained action piece:

Spoiler

It's one of Williams most seldom used themes in the OT (about one use in ESB and ROTJ each, the latter coming during 3PO's storytelling scene).

The funniest examples of Williams copying have to be the two occasions when they borrowed from Indiana Jones instead of Star Wars :P

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, darkspine10 said:

My favourite bit of Rebels' reuse of Williams material is when the opening of Walker Assault theme from ESB is made into a more sustained action piece:

Which would be it's first use on screen, right?

Hi, that’s a great analysis ! I was wondering if you were gonna post it on your blog, since I have difficulties accessing to this page, that would be very useful… 

1 minute ago, Knight of Ren said:

Yeah, I'm working on it as well as working on the thematic breakdown for Rebels and Bad Batch, which I had to start over because I lost the work I had already done...

I will try to post everything in here as well as in my blog, because I have also realized that the page takes quite some time to load in comparison to others, which might make it a bit more difficult to check out properly.

I believe that if you wrap the videos in Spoiler tags that that will help the load time.

On 12/01/2023 at 4:18 PM, Tallguy said:

Which would be it's first use on screen, right?

Well, the opening part of the cue in ESB (about 26 seconds) was dialled out, but the underscore with the same melody continues throughout the early Battle of Hoth scenes.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else noticed that Kiner frequently uses a wrong note in the Force theme? For the 12th note, he tends to just go down a minor third as opposed to a minor sixth. It creates this situation where the theme bounces back and forth between two notes, rather than dropping back down to the first note of the theme like it should. I’m already bracing myself for his “variation” to be in the Ahsoka show. Genuinely not sure if it’s intentional, or if he just misremembered the theme…

16 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

Has anyone else noticed that Kiner frequently uses a wrong note in the Force theme? For the 12th note, he tends to just go down a minor third as opposed to a minor sixth. It creates this situation where the theme bounces back and forth between two notes, rather than dropping back down to the first note of the theme like it should. I’m already bracing myself for his “variation” to be in the Ahsoka show. Genuinely not sure if it’s intentional, or if he just misremembered the theme…

Interesting. Example?

• 5 weeks later...
On 13/01/2023 at 3:11 PM, Knight of Ren said:

Yeah, I'm working on it as well as working on the thematic breakdown for Rebels and Bad Batch, which I had to start over because I lost the work I had already done...

I will try to post everything in here as well as in my blog, because I have also realized that the page takes quite some time to load in comparison to others, which might make it a bit more difficult to check out properly.

Just wanted to check in and see if there were any updates on this? Just very excited to dive into this material - really have enjoyed all the Clone Wars themes so far.

Also while I'm here, I wanted to posit a possible Dooku/Serenno theme I've not seen posted about yet. To clarify, this is not the mystery theme in Attack of the Clones, nor Dooku's theme in Tales of the Jedi:

Spoiler

Not sure which episode this track features in for The Bad Batch, but I believe that Dooku’s theme plays from 1:39-2:00 in the track Phee and Dooku’s Treasure.

Refer to Clone Wars Season 1 Ep. 11, timecode 18:20-19:01. For reference sake, I found the clip here (was difficult to find):

The theme is very similar to/probably derived from the beginning of the track Inner City from A New Hope, which I believe is a variation of the Imperial theme in ANH:

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Tydirium said:

4:32:

Reveal hidden contents

1:41:

Reveal hidden contents

Really cool considering that Kanan is about to fall off the cliff, and that score from Williams is influenced by Herrmann. Reminds me of the Vertigo chord in DM to Abm 

Spoiler