Hans Zimmer: Live (2023 album)

Jay

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

What do you mean? The entire tracklist is shown at the link.

Ah I didn't look. Thought it would only show one track. Looks like a fun album. 

Karol

I missed that this was already announced 3 weeks ago and is getting a physical release

‘Hans Zimmer LIVE’ Album Announced

Sony Classical has announced Hans Zimmer LIVE, a new double album featuring more than two hours of new reimagined arrangements of some Zimmer’s popular compositions. The album was recorded during the concert tour of the same title in Europe in spring of 2022. Among the new “suites” created for the concert and featured on the release are Dune, The Lion King, The Dark Knight, Gladiator, Inception, Interstellar, Man of Steel, No Time to Die, Pirates of the Caribbean and Wonder Woman 1984. The album will released digitally in stereo and the immersive formats Dolby Atmos and Sony 360 RA, as well as a 2-CD DigiPac and a limited 4 x 180 g audiophile vinyl set on March 3, 2023. The 2-CD version is now available for pre-order on Amazon and the vinyl edition can be pre-ordered here. A first suite (The Last Samurai) is already available to stream/download now and can also be checked out below. The music is performed by Zimmer’s 20-piece band “The Disruptive Collective,” featuring a gallery of long-time musical companions (including Lisa Gerrard, Lebo M., Loire Cutler, Tina Guo & Nick Glennie-Smith), the Odessa Opera Orchestra and Choir

Here’s the track list of the album:

Disc 1:

1. Dune: House Atreides (Live)
2. Inception: Mombasa (Live)
3. Wonder Woman Suite: Part 1 (Live)
4. Wonder Woman Suite: Part 2 (Live)
5. Wonder Woman Suite: Part 3 (Live)
6. Man of Steel Suite: Part 1 “What Are You Going to Do When You Are Not Saving the World?” (Live)
7. Man of Steel Suite: Part 2 (Live)
8. Gladiator Suite: Part 1 (Live)
9. Gladiator Suite: Part 2 (Live)
10. Gladiator Suite: Part 3 (Live)
11. Gladiator Suite: Part 4 (Live)
12. Pirates of the Caribbean Suite: Part 1 “Jack Sparrow” (Live)
13. Pirates of the Caribbean Suite: Part 2 (Live)
14. Pirates of the Caribbean Suite: Part 3 (Live)
15. Absurdities: Part 1 (Live)
16. Absurdities: Part 2 (Live)

Disc 2:

1. The Last Samurai Suite: Part 1 (Live)
2. The Last Samurai Suite: Part 2 (Live)
3. The Last Samurai Suite: Part 3 (Live)
4. The Dark Knight Suite: Part 1 (Live)
5. The Dark Knight Suite: Part 2 (Live)
6. Dark Phoenix Suite (Live)
7. Dunkirk: Supermarine (Live)
8. Dune: Paul’s Dream (Live)
9. Interstellar Suite: Part 1 (Live)
10. Interstellar Suite: Part 2 (Live)
11. The Lion King Suite: Part 1 “He Lives in You” (Live)
12. The Lion King Suite: Part 2 (Live)
13. The Lion King Suite: Part 3 (Live)
14. No Time To Die Suite (Live)
15. Inception: Time (Live)

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/10/07/hans-zimmer-live-album-announced/

612xtgBY5nL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B6XJ1VRJ

1 hour ago, Jay said:

15. Absurdities: Part 1 (Live)
16. Absurdities: Part 2 (Live)

The tracklist doesn't mention, but these tracks are from Sherlock Holmes, right?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

11. The Lion King Suite: Part 1 “He Lives in You” (Live)

Huh. I thought Mark Mancina wrote that one.

I can't help but wonder just how great these concerts could be if pieces from all eras of his career had been selected and properly (and thoughtfully) rearranged and re-imagined for a massive orchestra and choir - akin to what Joe Hisaishi achieved in 2008 for the 25th anniversary Studio Ghibli. I know, there was the pandemic, and also it wouldn't be a Hans Zimmer gig if the focus is not on e-guitars, synthesizers and bands. It is fine - many of his tunes do work best in such an environment anyway. But "re-imagining" something like, say, Last Samurai into what is heard on this album - or choosing, say, Supermarine for a concert hall over, say, The Burning Bush from Prince of Egypt, are all a bit strange if not distasteful.

1 hour ago, HunterTech said:

It's mainly supposed to be Lone Ranger combined with those two

I was at the live concert and they didn’t play Lone Ranger, the name absurdities matches the Lone Ranger cue though.

20 hours ago, Jay said:

The track 8 Dune (Paul's Dream), not the track 1 Dune (House Atreides)

I tried that one as well but no matter what I press, it just plays Samurai for me, lol! Maybe its just not available in my region or something :)

$90 for the vinyl seems kind of high doesn’t it? Or is there something special about it that I’m missing? I got Live in Prague for $50 which had 4LPs. 

I attended both the 2017 and 2022 gigs here in Oslo. The 2017 was superior, IMO, due to its inclusion of more pre-millennium material and a more goosebump-inducing version of INTERSTELLAR, just to mention two reasons. The 2022 only had THE LION KING as pre-millennium. But still a decent concert. Both, however, were hampered by the terrible acoustics of the Oslo arena, and the 2022 also suffered from insufferable, noisy audience members. So maybe listening to both of these on CD would improve the impression somewhat.

My reviews (run through Google Translate) for both of these concerts, for anyone interested: 2017 and 2022.

• 1 month later...

Interstellar just posted to Apple Music. Lots of shrieking and wailing and long ambient drones, like the Dune suite. Pretty lame arrangements so far. How he managed to avoid any of the interesting themes from Interstellar is beyond me.

On 17/12/2022 at 6:07 AM, JohnTheBaptist said:

Interstellar just posted to Apple Music. Lots of shrieking and wailing and long ambient drones, like the Dune suite. Pretty lame arrangements so far. How he managed to avoid any of the interesting themes from Interstellar is beyond me.

He did those themes in his last tour. It was time to hear something new now. ;)

Someone said the live audio of Samurai is from Oslo. But how do they know this? 

I would love for it to be true cause I went to that show and this was my favorite part! To have a professional recording of it would be amazing!

20 minutes ago, Thor said:

Hey fenrik, are you Norwegian? Per your name and reference to Oslo? If so, welcome. We're 3-4 regular posters from Norway here already.

Yes I am, Thor! Thank you! Nice to see other Norwegians here as well :D

I'm also on FSM board as "acathla", if you remember me from there. Not sure why I chose a different nickname for this board, haha! 

On 04/11/2022 at 7:29 AM, Thor said:

I attended both the 2017 and 2022 gigs here in Oslo. The 2017 was superior, IMO, due to its inclusion of more pre-millennium material and a more goosebump-inducing version of INTERSTELLAR, just to mention two reasons. The 2022 only had THE LION KING as pre-millennium. But still a decent concert. Both, however, were hampered by the terrible acoustics of the Oslo arena, and the 2022 also suffered from insufferable, noisy audience members. So maybe listening to both of these on CD would improve the impression somewhat.

My reviews (run through Google Translate) for both of these concerts, for anyone interested: 2017 and 2022.

I can't agree with this. I thought the arrangements of the 2022 concerts were much better. The Lion King for example, had a much better song, and extended Stampede. For Interstellar, I love that he finally included Dust and we not just repeating No Time For Caution. Wonder Woman has been extended to include 1984 materials, which I love. 

46 minutes ago, fenrik said:

Yes I am, Thor! Thank you! Nice to see other Norwegians here as well :D

I'm also on FSM board as "acathla", if you remember me from there. Not sure why I chose a different nickname for this board, haha! 

Ah, acathla! Yes, I remember you now. Suppose you're a fenrik in the army, then?

Hans Zimmer just confirmed to me (totally fan boying right now! lol) on facebook that most of the audio from the LIVE album is from Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen. And a few other cities for bits and pieces. This means so much to me! Being able to hear professional recordings of a show I attended. Never happened to me before! Always dreamed of this! This also explains why my Samurai video from Oslo was taken down the day before they released the single (its back up now). 

Hopefully they will release the video next year as well. Perhaps after the tour is done? 
With footage from Oslo please :D

5 minutes ago, fenrik said:

Hans Zimmer just confirmed to me (totally fan boying right now! lol) on facebook that most of the audio from the LIVE album is from Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen. And a few other cities for bits and pieces. This means so much to me! Being able to hear professional recordings of a show I attended. Never happened to me before! Always dreamed of this! This also explains why my Samurai video from Oslo was taken down the day before they released the single (its back up now). 

Hopefully they will release the video next year as well. Perhaps after the tour is done? 
With footage from Oslo please :D

That's awesome! Is there any way to know which pieces that are from Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen? I'm very happy about how they recorded and mixed the album as it really sounds clean, almost like a studio recording, unlike many live albums especially from larger venues.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

That's awesome! Is there any way to know which pieces that are from Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen? I'm very happy about how they recorded and mixed the album as it really sounds clean, almost like a studio recording, unlike many live albums especially from larger venues.

Hopefully we'll find out more once its all released. I did compare my own Samurai video from that night to the audio and its identical. Everything from the vocals to instrumentations. I imagine it all sounds pretty much the same every night, but surely there must be SOME differences. I can even shazam my own video and it tells me its a track from the LIVE album. Will have "investigate" once its all out :D

I love this album (so far) as well. It sounds amazing! And just like you said, almost like a studio recording but at the same time you hear its live. 

57 minutes ago, fenrik said:

Hopefully we'll find out more once its all released. I did compare my own Samurai video from that night to the audio and its identical. Everything from the vocals to instrumentations. I imagine it all sounds pretty much the same every night, but surely there must be SOME differences. I can even shazam my own video and it tells me its a track from the LIVE album. Will have "investigate" once its all out :D

I love this album (so far) as well. It sounds amazing! And just like you said, almost like a studio recording but at the same time you hear its live. 

Hopefully there will be some info in the booklet about where each piece was performed. I’m guessing some splicing was involved to “fix” some bits.

I’m really exited about hearing the recording of the Wonder Woman Suite.

16 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

Hopefully there will be some info in the booklet about where each piece was performed. I’m guessing some splicing was involved to “fix” some bits.

I’m really exited about hearing the recording of the Wonder Woman Suite.

Me too! And the Man of Steel suite. Specially the second part with Launch / If You Love These People!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Based on the single release tracks I've heard so far, this album sounds really good. I went to the concert last year, which was a great concert experience but the mix of this album is vastly superior to the sound at the live venue. They seem to have gone for clarity and more close mic setup for this album than many live albums.

Love the album!! It sounds amazing! One thing I noticed...for THE DARK KNIGHT they seem to have removed that awesome electric guitar during the epic part of "Like a Dog Chasing Cars"...wonder why they did that.

I was listening to this album today on Spotify and I noticed that every single track has an abrupt fade-out at the very end of it, which completely destroys the gapless flow of music. Has anyone listening on another streaming service or physical media noticed a similar issue? I'm hoping this phenomenon is an error on Spotify's part and it gets fixed - The tracks are clearly meant to crossfade into one another, so I don't understand what the deal is...

Loving this album. Most of the arrangement I prefer over the 2016 album, especially The Lion King and Gladiator. It still doesn't reach the height of The World of Hans Zimmer though. 

I just see the Live albums as a totally different thing from The World of HZ. The Live arrangements are mostly rock-oriented, letting Zimmer play around with his own ideas as a sort of jam session, while The World of HZ offers more straightforward reprises for the full orchestra.

Both are great in their own way, and I really enjoy listening to them both. And it's great that we finally got a Last Samurai suite in one of these, since it's one of my favorite Zimmer scores!

1 hour ago, Knight of Ren said:

I just see the Live albums as a totally different thing from The World of HZ. The Live arrangements are mostly rock-oriented, letting Zimmer play around with his own ideas as a sort of jam session, while The World of HZ offers more straightforward reprises for the full orchestra.

Both are great in their own way, and I really enjoy listening to them both. And it's great that we finally got a Last Samurai suite in one of these, since it's one of my favorite Zimmer scores!

The Last Samurai was my favorite as well from this tour! Such an amazingly well put together suite to highlight the score!

And I was over the moon finding out this recording is actually from Oslo, the show I went to! Makes it even more special to me to listen to it! 

5 hours ago, fenrik said:

The Last Samurai was my favorite as well from this tour! Such an amazingly well put together suite to highlight the score!

And I was over the moon finding out this recording is actually from Oslo, the show I went to! Makes it even more special to me to listen to it! 

The whole album is from the Oslo concert?

I was there too, and it wasn't a very good experience, as you've probably read in my review awhile back. Partly to do with the terrible venue, partly an unruly audience and partly because there was too much recent stuff and too little of the pre-millennium stuff that is the reason Zimmer is one of my favourite composers (they only played LION KING of the the pre-millennium scores).