• The Gift
    • Once More, with Feeling
    • Tabula Rasa
    • Normal Again
    • Grave
    • Conversations with Dead People
    • Chosen

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

What’s the name of Paul Reubens’ character from the movie?  He’s my favorite.

My spouse and I watched a season and a half, but it wasn’t for us.

I take it you watched season 1 and first half of season 2? You should try to continue cause the show gets really good first from season 2, episode 13. That's when the real quality and tone for the show gets set. Just sayin ;)

5 minutes ago, mstrox said:

What’s the name of Paul Reubens’ character from the movie?  He’s my favorite.

My spouse and I watched a season and a half, but it wasn’t for us.

It actually gets really good in the middle of season 2, especially from Innocence onwards. 

7 minutes ago, fenrik said:

I take it you watched season 1 and first half of season 2? You should try to continue cause the show gets really good first from season 2, episode 13. That's when the real quality and tone for the show gets set. Just sayin ;)

What are your favorite episodes, characters and seasons?

I binged the whole show plus film for the first time this summer. The show is really good and the film is really bad. I've made posts on my journey on the FSM forum starting at July 19. 2022 (https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=57&threadID=120754&archive=0)

Spoilers, I guess

Favorite Character:

I choosed Spike (but the pre-Season 4 Spike) but he's closely followed by Cordelia (every single word she says is simply brilliant) and Faith.

Favorite Season:

Season 3. The best story and still on the highschool.

Favorite Episode:

"Hush". Closely followed by "Restless", "The Wish", "Normal Again", "The Body" & "Same Time, Same Place".

Favorite Composer:

why isn't this part of the poll?

well... only one right answer... Christophe Beck.

21 hours ago, Dave said:

I binged the whole show plus film for the first time this summer. The show is really good and the film is really bad. I've made posts on my journey on the FSM forum starting at July 19. 2022 (https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=57&threadID=120754&archive=0)

Spoilers, I guess

Favorite Character:

I choosed Spike (but the pre-Season 4 Spike) but he's closely followed by Cordelia (every single word she says is simply brilliant) and Faith.

Favorite Season:

Season 3. The best story and still on the highschool.

Favorite Episode:

"Hush". Closely followed by "Restless", "The Wish", "Normal Again", "The Body" & "Same Time, Same Place".

Favorite Composer:

why isn't this part of the poll?

well... only one right answer... Christophe Beck.

Hush, Restless, The Wish and The Body are problably my top 4 episodes. Also agree with you that Spike was better before he joined the main cast in season 4. Lovers Walk was probably his best episode. 

I was a massive Buffy fan back in the day. I occasionally re-watch some episodes and they hold up really well. Season 5 is one of the best runs of sci-fi/fantasy TV I've seen, culminating in the excellent "The Gift". If the show had finished there and then it would've been a brilliant send-off for the show. The influence of Buffy on modern "genre" television storytelling can't be ignored; Russell T Davies has frequently cited it as the inspiration for how he structured the season-long arcs in Doctor Who when it was revived in 2005. And while shows like Doctor Who and LOST popularised the storytelling we see all the time now, IMO it was an art that was perfected by the writers of Buffy in their prime.

I wish Angel had gotten a longer run. At its height it was equal if not slightly better than Buffy, and was overall much more consistent in its quality.

On 30/10/2022 at 3:47 AM, Docteur Qui said:

I was a massive Buffy fan back in the day. I occasionally re-watch some episodes and they hold up really well. Season 5 is one of the best runs of sci-fi/fantasy TV I've seen, culminating in the excellent "The Gift". If the show had finished there and then it would've been a brilliant send-off for the show. The influence of Buffy on modern "genre" television storytelling can't be ignored; Russell T Davies has frequently cited it as the inspiration for how he structured the season-long arcs in Doctor Who when it was revived in 2005. And while shows like Doctor Who and LOST popularised the storytelling we see all the time now, IMO it was an art that was perfected by the writers of Buffy in their prime.

I wish Angel had gotten a longer run. At its height it was equal if not slightly better than Buffy, and was overall much more consistent in its quality.

I dont think Angel was more consistent, also Buffy had much higher heights as well. 

10 hours ago, Evil-Link said:

I dont think Angel was more consistent, also Buffy had much higher heights as well. 

It had higher individual highs - episodes like "Hush", "The Body", "Passion", and "The Gift" are undoubtedly some of the best episodes of television full stop. (I'll quietly add that I find "Once More With Feeling" to be extremely overrated; the songs are neither terribly good nor are they memorable, and I will die on this hill).

But Angel took more risks that more often than not paid off; the Wolfram and Hart soft reboot combined with the Illyria storyline in Season 5 was a stroke of genius and took the show to new heights - it's a tragedy that the show was axed just as it was ascending . While its fourth season was uneven with all the Connor/Cordelia stuff (ugh), it was no worse than Buffy's fourth season which was incredibly bland, nor was it ever as bleak and mean-spirited as much of Buffy S6-7. Buffy also has the dishonour of featuring absolute stinkers like "Beer Bad" and "I, Robot... You Jane".

Been a buffy fan since it started. Probably still my favourite tv show, even to this day. It has a lot of meaning to me as well as a kid. My grandfather died around the same time as the season 5 finale, so that ending with 'The Gift' destroyed me as a kid. But it did help me face those emotions externally. It's great when media can help real life problems.

My favourite character will always be Buffy. I loved her. Such a powerful and well-told hero with flaws. She was a great teacher growing up as a tv role-model. I do love Angel though. His backstory and tragedy is the most interesting of the characters for me.

Season 5 with Glory was amazing too. "You are glowing, oh powerful and shiny Glorificus." Such a brilliant villain. 

My favourite episode is impossible to say, but I do have every single word of the Musical episode memorised haha. 

On 01/11/2022 at 3:07 AM, Docteur Qui said:

It had higher individual highs - episodes like "Hush", "The Body", "Passion", and "The Gift" are undoubtedly some of the best episodes of television full stop. (I'll quietly add that I find "Once More With Feeling" to be extremely overrated; the songs are neither terribly good nor are they memorable, and I will die on this hill).

But Angel took more risks that more often than not paid off; the Wolfram and Hart soft reboot combined with the Illyria storyline in Season 5 was a stroke of genius and took the show to new heights - it's a tragedy that the show was axed just as it was ascending . While its fourth season was uneven with all the Connor/Cordelia stuff (ugh), it was no worse than Buffy's fourth season which was incredibly bland, nor was it ever as bleak and mean-spirited as much of Buffy S6-7. Buffy also has the dishonour of featuring absolute stinkers like "Beer Bad" and "I, Robot... You Jane".

Season 4 of Buffy is great imo, it may has the most amount of good episodes (Hush + Restless are some of the best episodes of television, then there is Who Are You?, Something Blue, Pangs, Fear Itself, A New Man, New Moon Rising), even if the overall arc is weaker than in Seasons 2, 3 and 5.

On 01/11/2022 at 12:38 PM, leeallen01 said:

Been a buffy fan since it started. Probably still my favourite tv show, even to this day. It has a lot of meaning to me as well as a kid. My grandfather died around the same time as the season 5 finale, so that ending with 'The Gift' destroyed me as a kid. But it did help me face those emotions externally. It's great when media can help real life problems.

My favourite character will always be Buffy. I loved her. Such a powerful and well-told hero with flaws. She was a great teacher growing up as a tv role-model. I do love Angel though. His backstory and tragedy is the most interesting of the characters for me.

Season 5 with Glory was amazing too. "You are glowing, oh powerful and shiny Glorificus." Such a brilliant villain. 

My favourite episode is impossible to say, but I do have every single word of the Musical episode memorised haha. 

How old you were when you first watched it, you are writting you were a kid?

I watched the show when it was on TV in the 90s onwards (I think I may have seen the original 1992 movie at some point too), and certainly liked it enough to follow, but I never joined the "cult" or anything. I did talk with Beck about it a few years ago, though -- although by that time, my memory of the series itself was waning.

These days, I've grown weary of everything vampire, no doubt due to the over-exposure in various media.

On 28/10/2022 at 3:33 PM, Jay said:

Never seen a bit of it

Ditto. I also definitely, definitely haven't seen the sex tape that allegedly 'stars' Alyson Hannigan. 

Definitely. 

What do you call it when Dracula knocks over the table of sandwiches, vol-au-vents etc at a social event?

Vampire The Buffet Slayer. 

I thang yew. 

3 hours ago, Thor said:

I watched the show when it was on TV in the 90s onwards (I think I may have seen the original 1992 movie at some point too), and certainly liked it enough to follow, but I never joined the "cult" or anything. I did talk with Beck about it a few years ago, though -- although by that time, my memory of the series itself was waning.

These days, I've grown weary of everything vampire, no doubt due to the over-exposure in various media.

The vampires serve more as metaphors in Buffy, at least in the early seasons, until they added Spike to the main cast as a fan service.