James Horner’s HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS - 2022 La-La Land Records expanded edition

SpaceCoyote

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

Oh wow, a good quality well picked and framed cover with matching font? How refreshing! Only LLL and Quartet can do that.

What about Holko Records?

I recognize the OST as a James Horner Essential... but an expansion... Hmmm... I'm not convinced I need that. 

Change my mind!

4 minutes ago, Roll the Bones said:

What about Holko Records?

My covers for my score rips are only great, not fantastic.

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

I recognize the OST as a James Horner Essential... but an expansion... Hmmm... I'm not convinced I need that. 

Change my mind!

Yeah, Smash Mouth and dialogue are truly Horner essentials.

Well I just learned that there was a Promo album, because honestly on the OST, there are only 6 instrumental tracks.

image.png

image.png

14 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Well I just learned that there was a Promo album, because honestly on the OST, there are only 6 instrumental tracks.

image.png

image.png

Actually 7 score cues on the OST. The first is called "The Shape of Things to Come" (it's the main title). 

1 minute ago, NL197 said:

Actually 7 score cues on the OST. The first is called "The Shape of Things to Come" (it's the main title). 

The track on the OST includes singing and fart sounds... 

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

The track on the OST includes singing and fart sounds... 

That's because in the film (like on the album - the promo uses a slightly different take) the score is taken over for a moment by the "Whoville Band" so the singing / fart sounds are matching the on-screen performance. 

56 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I hope LLL is prepared for how many people will sit on Grinch until the Black Friday releases are announced :lol:

You know, it is not recommended to sit on a CD.

Never seen the movie or heard the score, didn't even know Horner did it.

12 minutes in, no thanks. Ugh. I might check the score out on its own. It starts out very promising, totally Scissorhands, but then goes into the messy kind of Elfmanyness that's not that much for me.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Is this score any good? 

It's a kinda fun hodgepodge of styles (the linked example goes from the Star Wars rebel fanfare - sort of ;) - to his 48 Hours-style in one minute) and while it's of no great consequence (Horner had written this stuff like 10 times before for Casper or We're Back), it's a nice addition to this kind of Horner scoring for blatantly commercial 'family' movies (lots of sugar and eye candy).

I'm surprised that so much people here haven't seen the movie, it was the highest grossing film of 2000 at the American Box Office. OTOH, how such a poorly received movie managed to outgross Mission: Impossible 2 and Gladiator is a mystery to me. :lol:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/2000/?grossesOption=totalGrosses

It was only successful on the United States, though. Outside of the domestic market, its grosses were minuscule. I guess Dr. Seuss is more popular in English-speaking countries.

I was 12 when it came out and I have lots of siblings and cousins, I definitely saw it and absolutely despised it even at that age.  I was a hardcore partisan for the Chuck Jones cartoon and I still am.

I remember Universal Studios had a section devoted to that atrocity.

But i laughed at one Simpsons-style line, when Carrey says 'And I won?' (nasty smile) 'That means there were losers!'

I would really give anything to have an instrumental version of the cue "He Carves the Roast Beast," but that's probably too much to ask.  I can't stand Carrey's Grinch vocals.  I would even settle for a version with just the chorus.

I can’t remember the film because the cinematographer smeared so much vaseline on the lens. 

That, and my brain represses the awfulness to protect itself. 

11 hours ago, Jay said:

I was 21 years old when this movie came out.  I had no interest in seeing it in the slightest

You grinch! Where's the Christmas spirit? 

5 hours ago, LSH said:

Every time a new expanded Horner is announced, I hope it's The Perfect Storm.

This will certainly do for now though!

Surely that OST is all you need from that score? Feels like the same music repeated ad nauseam, nice theme though it may be. 

I wonder if LLL will provide free copies of that CD to the San Francisco Symphony as a give-a-way to promote the world premiere of the LTP concert coming this December.

https://www.sfsymphony.org/Buy-Tickets/2022-23/How-the-Grinch-Stole-Christmas

Temp.png

Tidbit from MV in the FSM thread

I'm listening to this on YT and just heard Horner's riff on Chariots of Fire. Was that a parody in the film or another case of Horner "borrowing"?

We had to license that from the publisher so it's more or less a direct lift

MV