James Horner’s HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS - 2022 La-La Land Records expanded edition

SpaceCoyote

This parody quote from "Chariots of Fire" was known.

At 1:45.

I must say that the release of this expansion is quite an unexpected impact of Vangelis' death...

55 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I must say that the release of this expansion is quite an unexpected impact of Vangelis' death...

The release is an impact of Vangelis' death? And unexpected at that?

15 hours ago, crumbs said:

You grinch! Where's the Christmas spirit? 

Oh I'd have no problem watching it now.  I was in college at the time, when I was home for Christmas break that year (my senior year) I saw Snatch, Dude Where's My Car, Finding Forrester, Cast Away, Dracula 2000, The Family Man, The Gift, Miss Congeniality, O Brother Where Art Though, State and Maine, Thirteen Days, Traffic, and Shadow of the Vampire at the cinema.  This was also when I had a job working at the cinema on college breaks

I was 10 when this movie came out and was totally head over heels for it. I can't remember if this was the first movie soundtrack I ever bought but it was one of the first. 

One of the things that really fueled my young obsession over this movie was the fact that because it was a Christmas film, it was one of the rare instances by the early 2000s in which I had to wait a full year for it to come out on VHS. So all I had were the soundtrack and the making-of book which I devoured and it was all I could think about. May be why I've never really had a problem throwing on the occasional Christmas movie or album throughout the calendar year since then. 

Sadly at some point my brother accidentally broke the CD and I never ended up getting the OST replaced....until recently a year or two ago in a fit of nostalgia. May or may not spring for this expansion but one of those films and scores I can't be caught saying a bad word against. 

14 hours ago, publicist said:

The release is an impact of Vangelis' death? And unexpected at that?

This edition of How the Grinch Stole Christmas was supposed to be released in 2020 for the 20th anniversary of the film but has been postponed by the COVID.

57 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste Martin said:

This edition of How the Grinch Stole Christmas was supposed to be released in 2020 for the 20th anniversary of the film but has been postponed by the COVID.

That's not what i got out of Bespin's weird phrasing, but OK.

Ok sorry, as LLL had to acquire the rights to use Chariots of Fire to publish this new edition, I thought the subtext of the Bespin sentence was that Vangelis' death made it easier to acquire the rights. So I wanted to make it clear that this was not the case

Ah ok, you possess a better subtext perception than me, obviously. If that is what he meant, of course ;).

The widespread availability of the 70-minute crew promo makes this new release a bit obsolete, as it is far from Horner's best (though the liner notes, as is a custom for these kind of boutique releases, will try their best to sell it as exactly that) - maybe the sound is improved, it always struck me as a wee bit distant and muffled. 

I will add, though, that there is a kind of welcome messiness to it, which became increasingly rare in the 2000's, when Horner's career trailed off into clubfooted epic meandering and languid, never-ending piano soliloquies (i still haven't made it through all of 'House and Sand and Fog'). 

I agree with you @publicist. That's why the presence of the three missing songs will largely determine my interest of this new edition.
Because they are not in the promo and will add a new touch of messiness, to use your expression.

22 minutes ago, publicist said:

(I still haven't made it through all of 'House and Sand and Fog'). 

The orchestra comes at the end of the album, if that can help motivate you. ;)

Thanks for another one of your schoolmarmish rebukes (i sure hope you don't have a Twitter account, Jay!) but first, the promo was released in physical form and how and under which legal status i obtained is frankly none of your business and second, i never said i enjoy it. Certainly not on a 40€ level.

26 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste Martin said:

I agree with you @publicist. That's why the presence of the three missing songs will largely determine my interest of this new edition.
Because they are not in the promo and will add a new touch of messiness, to use your expression.

We'll see about that in the clips;)

The orchestra comes at the end of the album, if that can help motivate you. ;)

It's more the stuff in the middle that defies interest. That the movie is one of those pathetic Oscar baits in which well-paid actors suffer in a deadening stiff-lipped way sure doesn't help (either the book was very good and they destroyed it in the screen version or a dud found its celluloid match).

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

Having illegally downloaded a version of score that you enjoy should make you MORE want to purchase the legal specialty label release of the score, not less likely.

Yes, the legal way is always the best.

I thank LLL for this new edition which is necessary and expected for 22 years. The previous edition was so frustrating.

I'm just afraid to experience another frustration if the three unreleased songs are missing.

And to have to wait again 22 years... :D

On 29/10/2022 at 12:35 AM, crumbs said:

You grinch! Where's the Christmas spirit? 

Surely that OST is all you need from that score? Feels like the same music repeated ad nauseam, nice theme though it may be. 

There’s some great unreleased music from The Perfect Storm, and I need every variation of that theme!

9 hours ago, Jean-Baptiste Martin said:

I don't believe that. COVID have a broad back!

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I don't believe that. 

On 28/10/2022 at 6:48 PM, Amer said:

MV: For those of you that are behind the scenes buffs Grinch was originally planned for 2020 for its 20th anniversary...but we all know how that year went down. It got delayed to 2021 and shifted around for other titles that had more pressing anniversary release dates to meet, but after missing 2 holiday release seasons we weren't gonna make it 3 in a row, so it's finally out...and early enough to have it for your Who-bilations!

That just leaves the Final Five titles coming out Nov 29th

See ya Tuesday Nov 1...

Neil Bulk says:

"

The promo was comprised of incorrect takes, while this release uses the final polished takes. And while they have the same number of tracks the promo split apart "The Shape Of Things To Come" and "Stealing Christmas" while omitting "Grinch Back On Mt. Crumpit."

Neil

"

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=149583&forumID=1&archive=0

• 2 weeks later...

Mine was not cracked. 

I wrote this on the corresponding FSM thread:

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=149583&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=1&r=593#bottom

There are so many subtle (and not so subtle) differences that the old promo is truly its own thing and this new release stands firmly on its own.

A ton of 'blink and you'll miss it' type differences one might not pick up on unless they know the score inside and out....which being a Horner score is kind of my thing. I'm really surprised by how unique this is.

I like the off-kilter back cover as well. I found the Taylor Momsen interview referenced in the liner notes (no source, but Google was easy enough.)

It was nice to hear she mentioned Horner by name and not just 'the composer'.

I'm listening to it right now. It is a lot of fun. While not exactly on the level of some children film classics from Horner’s career, it is miles ahead of what other composers conjure up for these types of things. Even at its silliest and wackiest, the score always has a sense of direction and you get nicely flowing listening experience on album --- zany yet grounded by a very cute, and ridiculously sugary, theme for the little girl Cindy Lou. Finally, the score receives the album it deserves and the old release can be forgotten.

Karol

• 1 month later...

I’ve listened to this a few times and am inclined to say that the half hour or so that was on the OST is a better presentation.  If anybody has put together a highlights presentation that uses pieces from the LLL album and are willing to share that order, I wouldn’t mind giving that a try.

I'm a little disappointed that "Where Are You Christmas?" isn't included on this set - There's certainly room for it at the end of the program. I think I may have said before, I'm totally fine with songs that the composer didn't contribute to not being included, but this expansion includes "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch", which, according to the credits, James had nothing to do with (and so sounds extremely different stylistically).

Especially when it comes to James' scores, the songs at the end of the film actually function as a big musical payoff for the main theme/s (think Titanic, Avatar, Land Before Time, Perfect Storm, etc.), so for some expanded scores to not include them in the program hinders the musical resolution somewhat. I assume for this release, it was another rights issue, but that still doesn't make it a bit disappointing... Especially since I purchased "The Pagemaster" from LLL earlier this year and that one came with both the Horner song "Whatever You Imagine" and another one, "Dream Away" (which didn't involve James). 

I'm still yet to listen to the album all the way through, but I will admit that the lovely main theme has been stuck in my head on repeat for the last few days since I got the CD. 

10 hours ago, Trope said:

I'm a little disappointed that "Where Are You Christmas?" isn't included on this set - There's certainly room for it at the end of the program. I think I may have said before, I'm totally fine with songs that the composer didn't contribute to not being included, but this expansion includes "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch", which, according to the credits, James had nothing to do with (and so sounds extremely different stylistically).

Wait, isn't "Christmas, Why Can't I Find You?" the track you mean? Or am I getting confused?

Karol

"Christmas, Why Can't I Find You?" is written by Horner, is sung on-screen by a cast member, and is on the LLL CD

"Where Are You, Christmas?" is the end credits song sung by Faith Hill, is also written by Horner, but is not on the LLL CD

I'm sure it was way too expensive to license. 

@TropeWell, I'm not surprised with this choice, by example My heart will go on was not on the Titanic expansion, and that's totally fine.

They rarely include End Credit songs on the expansions. 

If you want to get the songs, you usually have to go for the OSTs. I'm sure it is very easy to find used on a website like Discogs.

20221220_081611.jpg

They usually do include End Credits songs, which means when they don’t (this and Titanic from LLL, or Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves from Intrada) there’s certainly a very good reason, almost certainly licensing related.

Yavar

4 hours ago, Jay said:

"Christmas, Why Can't I Find You?" is written by Horner, is sung on-screen by a cast member, and is on the LLL CD

"Where Are You, Christmas?" is the end credits song sung by Faith Hill, is also written by Horner, but is not on the LLL CD

I'm sure it was way too expensive to license. 

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I didn't know this existed!

Karol

If I’m not mistaken, Mariah Carey cowrote the the end credits version, and her apparently recorded version didn’t see release because of a possibly divorce-related rights spat with a record executive she had been married to. I don’t have the source in front of me, but I just read that recently in a legit-seeming place. That probably would have made its inclusion here even more impossible. 

• 5 weeks later...