The most underrated and the most overrated Williams score

GerateWohl

13 hours ago, Bellosh said:

Most underrated: Saving Private Ryan. I think it's a perfect score.

In a 'Most Boring Solemn Americana Score ever' contest, no doubt (though that's a crowded field).

'The River' is a nice, 'populist' ( in the best sense) score that i think isn't much-liked becasue the usual Williams fan considers it too pop-infested. But in a time when Williams' music started to become rather boring after the turbulent 70's, it was a good throwback.

8 hours ago, Holko said:

I even prefer the shorter Montage! With some bits like cues in The Fury I feel like the longer album versions are fuller compositions, but something like Montage I think is perfect as is and Promenade feels artificially dragged out to me.

I can appreciate that. I felt the same way about that cue for a long time. But the album version has grown on me to the point where sometimes—not always—that's the version I want to hear.

3 hours ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

Which Copland piece?

You might try the Third Symphony (Molto moderato) or the Lincoln Portrait.

Or if that's too classical, you might find this piece by another genuinly american fellow comfortably - or uncomfortably - close to it.

Underrated:

Sleepers. Quite unique in Williams' ouvre

Overrated:

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Now, before some of you bring the pitchforks, let me explain. I love the score. I just don't think it is particularly unique in the overall Williams' career and is written in an idiom in which he reached greater heights with other scores, and therefore I can't never rank it amongst his great works

Underrated:

The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing

This one rarely gets so much as a mention. It’s worth more than that.  A very nice example of Williams’s ability to write a catchy pop melody for which a song could be adapted.  And this was a quickly scored replacement that is very listenable. 

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

its single highlight "Hymn to the Fallen"

Seriously?  You think that's the only highlight?  "Omaha Beach" is all-time classic cue! 

Very few expansions have deepened my love for a Williams score as much being able to make the C&C playlist from the LLL edition has for SPR.

4 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I would disagree, especially comparing it with Lincoln, which follows stylistically the same pastoral americana musical idiom but is a comparably rich score with a high number of great themes, while SPR is, compared to its praise by many fans and its single highlight "Hymn to the Fallen" is rated exactly where it belongs. But to everyone their own. In this discussion there is no right or wrong.

two completely different movies though. regardless of the americana comparison.

SPR doesn't need many scenes scored for obvious reasons. therefore losing a lot of the types of cues you may enjoy.

I will say most of the score outside of Hymn to the Fallen and the Omaha Beach motifs do feel like underscore.  But I enjoy those underscore moments.

To me, A.I. (film and score) always felt underrated - overridden by the events around 9/11, though it remaims a timeless masterpiece.

BfG was released in summer in Europe, wasn't a block buster, but it represented a seminal contribution to the Spielberg/Williams fairy tale genre.

Since we're talking personal preferences... ;)

Overrated : Jurassic Park. The main theme is great obviously, and Dennis Steals the Embryo is fun, but the rest is noisy action or soporific underscore.

Underrated : Schindler's List. Every single cue on the OST has its highlights, and some have the most beautiful music written by Williams. I'll never understand why some think it's the least deserving of his oscar wins ! 

I adore Nixon and War of the Worlds, but I don't hear them referenced to very often, so I'd rank those among his underrated scores. 

Overrated? I'd probably go with Home Alone; that one might be a bit too saccharine for my taste.

Any work that derives from the classic Williams formula tends to be underrated and every score that applies that formula, but with no depth and a lack of originality, is potentially overrated. At gunpoint, my two picks would be:

Underrated:

Rosewood

Overrated:

Far and Away

Underrated: Angela's Ashes

It's one that I instantly loved when I got the CD when it first came out. The theme has a sadness and beauty to it and only the last cue of the film before the end credits does the score have a sense of hope and uplift to it. 

About the underrated... When I first listened to Sleepers OST, I was surprised that it wasn't talked about very much. It's unusual combination of subtle writing with sometimes heavy synths. Not that I'm ready to listen to the whole album often, although Hell's Kitchen is, for me, one of JW's best concert arrangements.

• 2 weeks later...

Confidence level

75%

Note

Something being overrated or highly overrated doesn't entail one doesn't love it, right, as clearly some popular Williams scores that are overrated are still amazing. Therefore, scores in the same category of "overratedness" are not equally good, in fact they're just as varied as any other scores. With this being clear, these are my personal tiers, subjective to me.

Highly Overrated (---)

Born on the Fourth of July

The Lost World

Saving Private Ryan

Overrated (--)

Jaws Saga

Far and Away

Seven Years in Tibet

Catch Me If You Can

Slightly Overrated (-)

Schindler's List

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Jurassic Park

Hook

Empire of the Sun

Finely rated (0)

Star Wars Saga

Indiana Jones Saga

Memoirs of a Geisha

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

The Cowboys

Slightly Underrated (+)

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

Superman

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Stepmom

Amistad

Underrated (++)

Sabrina

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Always

The Towering Inferno

Highly Underrated (+++)

Home Alone 2

The Patriot

Angela's Ashes

The Accidental Tourist

The Terminal

Conclusion

Since my confidence is 75%, I'd be open for suggestions as to what I should reevaluate or put in.

Underrated: Tintin (underrated film as well). I also can’t praise The BFG highly enough. It’s amazing 

Overrated: PoA. It’s disjointed and fragmentary (I still like it plenty, though). Schindler’s List. The traumatic experience of watching the film gives the music more weight than actually exists. It’s perfect for the film, but by itself, I find it dull.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

I know we're all BFOAAA around here (Big Fans of Abbreviations and Acronyms) but it took me a bit to figure out that PoA was Prisoner of Azkaban.

Yes, that underrated JW score to Piece of Ass. Truly a masterpiece 

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I know we're all BFOAAA around here (Big Fans of Abbreviations and Acronyms) but it took me a bit to figure out that PoA was Prisoner of Azkaban.

Prisoner of Azkaban, Planet Of the Apes, Pieces Of April, the Passion of Anna, a Place for Annie, a Piece Of the Action...

"...operatic..."?

I'd go for DRACULA, on that score (no pun intended :)).

NIXON is brilliant, though. "The Miami Convention" is an absolute stunner!

When I saw this at the cinema, I was conducting along. I'm sure the people around me thought I was mental, but I didn't care.

NIXON is a brilliant piece of work.

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

The most overrated JW score for me has to be Jurassic Park. Never liked it. I mean: La la Laaaa ... La la laaaa ... La la Laaaa ... Really?

Yeah. I guess, that is rather a thing for those who were born in the 80s. I mean, the score in brillant and in combination with the movie it is really a blast. But for those who followed Williams already through the late 70s and 80s it was more or less just another great score of its kind and not that extraordinary, I would say.