Has John Williams now completed the Indy 5 score?

Amvanquish

In light of JWs penultimate score The Fabelmans about to be released, does anybody know if Johns (alleged) last film score Indiana 5 is now complete?

is it “in the can” or digital memory so to speak?

I think I remember hearing JW say on stage or in an interview that all the thematic elements were there prior to another batch of sessions that were in September but have there or are there any session musicians who worked on it been told to come back in the knowledge that final pickup or completed effects sessions to tweak, extend or play to new additional scenes with extra (new) music will be pending this or early next year?

Or did JW compose everything to the final edit and September was it - FINISHED!

Any knowledge or ideas or snippets of info to tell from anybody in the know at Paramount or from sound stage personnel too ,etc etc etc?

it’s just that I will be happy in the knowledge when/that it’s all done and dusted and after listening to that beautiful Helena’s theme , will be waiting in high expectation for the CD/streaming release next year.

As well as the film I might add!!!

I don't know, but you've reminded me of how long we've lived with this "news" now.

Rumours about an INDY V started to surface just a couple of years after INDY IV in 2008. Could a fifth film remedy the faults of the fourth (incidentally, I like the film better than most)? Then in 2016, I wrote a news bit for a magazine about the confirmation of a fifth installment (scheduled for a 2019 release, LOL!). Then in 2020, we write about Spielberg stepping down as director and Mangold taking over (at this point, the film was scheduled for July 2022). I can't remember when exactly Williams was confirmed, but it was probably around this time. Too lazy to check. Then in Berlin in 2021, Williams tells the audience (of which I was fortunately part) that he will be returning to LA to start writing the score in a "few days". Now here we are in November-22, waiting for a June-23 release down the line and hoping Williams has finished scoring. 

Such a journey, and yes, I know....covid and all that. Still, a person born when the INDY V speculations began is now almost high school age. :D

Hi Thor , having worked in the U.K. film industry ( exhibition side)  , I had contacts who worked in Abbey Road and Air studios in London and got snippets of info as to recording sessions that were ongoing for quite a few years . 

As all of JWs scores in the past 20 years have been on sound stages in Hollywood , any info passed across the water here to the U.K. is non existent .

i know that even living in the states info is probably hard to come by and those in the know are sworn to secrecy . The film industry as we all know is very masonic and secret society in its concept and sometimes it is like trying to get blood out of a stone 

True, but it appears in current times -- with SoMe and other venues -- information about these things leak more often than when I grew up in the middle ages, pre-internet. So I'm sure we'll get an update on the scoring process in due time.

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

Recording of the score has been completed on October 18.

Amazing news! I think that's a full month later than expected, from memory they were aiming to finish in September. 

When did he say the thematic structure was mapped out, the radio interview from around May? That means roughly 5 months writing and recording the score proper, which is substantial. Assuming one minute of music written per day, that works out to a 150 minute score, which lines up perfectly with his reference to the film being 2.5 hours long (and roughly the length of the other 3 sequel scores).

Either way I suspect JW has gone out with a bang, and any disappointment about the runtime of The Fabelmans score will be quickly forgotten. 

Well Crumbs ,this was posted on this very website on Sept 2nd prior to Classic FMs  broadcast 

Speaking to Classic FM, [John Williams] said he had finished 30% of the soundtrack for the fifth instalment, which will star Harrison Ford. “I pretty much have the thematic scheme done. But we probably will be working on this into September.”

Asked whether he would like to create work for James Bond, Williams said: “I’d love it.” He then went on to open up about the process of creating a soundtrack. .

So completion of the other 70% of the score must have been undertaken through September  and then JW must have been in the studio again for several sessions from early October and then finalised by October 18th  tweaking the music to the visuals . I am assuming. 
Anyway , happy that it’s now complete.

I would love Mike Matessino to be involved with JW and produce the album CD in totally expanded form from June 2023 rather than going back to the recordings years down the line..

Let’s have the final completed soundtrack for  Indy 5  in a fully complete 2/3 cd release for us all to enjoy . 

2 hours ago, Amvanquish said:

So completion of the other 70% of the score must have been undertaken through September  and then JW must have been in the studio again for several sessions from early October

I just double checked that interview and Williams mentions they were talking in early July; the interview just wasn't released until September. 

30% complete in early July and recording finished by mid-October... so it took him 3 months to finish the remaining 70%. Assuming 1-1.5 minutes of music per day, a 2-2.5 hour score sounds about right. 

Doesn't sound like a repeat of the TROS nightmare...

41 minutes ago, Alex said:

Mangold seems to be in the Rian Johnson mould of efficient filmmaker, so hoping the score is not butchered.

I'd like to think the cut he delivered Williams was further along than the first draft mess Abrams delivered him. 

The fact filming was halted for so long (due to Ford's injury) should mean Mangold had plenty of extra time during production to work on his edit. 

On 1/11/2022 at 5:54 AM, TownerFan said:

I understand why JW is stepping away from film. That’s almost 8 months of the year taken up by Indy 5. A significant amount of time for a 90 year old.

On 01/11/2022 at 4:54 AM, TownerFan said:

This is so cool

I now know who Towner Fan is and he, with Mahler3 , have the contacts to know and get the answer I was looking for .

And trust me , these two guys are well in the know .

I hope they don’t mind me saying that.

4 hours ago, Alex said:

I understand why JW is stepping away from film. That’s almost 8 months of the year taken up by Indy 5. A significant amount of time for a 90 year old.

He’s not “stepping away.” He completed his score and recorded it. 

9 minutes ago, Doug Adams said:

I believe he's referring to Williams' comments from earlier this year about possibly retiring from film scores after Indy 5

https://variety.com/2022/artisans/news/john-williams-retirement-indiana-jones-5-1235301599/

8 hours ago, Alex said:

I don't think he spent 8 months on it. He's done other things over that time, but yes, the long time a large project takes at his age - I think he's said around 6 months for the recent Star Wars films was one of the reasons he said he's stepping away from films. But he's also said he doesn't want to close the door on really any project. In the end, if he feels he has the energy and time for a project that excites him, he'll do it. Either way, he'll still be at a piano most days putting dots to paper.

6 hours ago, Doug Adams said:

Stepping away from film, not the film.

Is there much for William do after recording is finished? Is he involved in the mixing of his score into the film or any other things to do?

Does preparng the soundtrack - assuming no further recordings are needed for it - take up much time? Does he just decide what music to include and that's it? I'm sure he listens to it to check everything's ok. Liner notes sometimes - perhaps an hour at most on a paragraph? I realize different projects would require more or less time on certain tasks. just curious if anyone has knowledge, ideas, random thoughts, or conspiracy theories.

50 minutes ago, pete said:

Is there much for William do after recording is finished? Is he involved in the mixing of his score into the film or any other things to do?

Does preparng the soundtrack - assuming no further recordings are needed for it - take up much time? Does he just decide what music to include and that's it? I'm sure he listens to it to check everything's ok. Liner notes sometimes - perhaps an hour at most on a paragraph? I realize different projects would require more or less time on certain tasks. just curious if anyone has knowledge, ideas, random thoughts, or conspiracy theories.

He personally curates the album presentations, but after that no. He's not involved with the mixing/editing in the film itself at all.

53 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

He personally curates the album presentations, but after that no. He's not involved with the mixing/editing in the film itself at all.

Not necessarily. He sat in on some mixing sessions for TROS and actually asked them to remove music from certain scenes (apparently a big chunk of Death Star duel music was dialed out, also music for the scene on Pasaana where Rey runs from Ren in his ship).

But yeah, usually Ramiro or his team deals with all that. Maybe he wanted to keep a closer eye on things after TFA. 

9 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Huh, for some reason my understanding was that he surprisingly is very involved in the final mixing and editing of most of his scores. But I don’t quite know where I got that idea from…

It's very exciting!

Hopefully they use music from these sessions, and nothing else, for a teaser trailer hopefully coming soon attached to Avatar 2

9 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

I got intel from good people :) Now, the film is still several months away so it's totally in the realm of possibilities that something may be tinkered further (this is how things work nowadays), even though from what I understood it looked like it was all said and done, at least score-wise.

So Oct 18th was the final day of sessions. In general/past times, inserts/revisions for film version cues would be recorded later, not apart of the main sessions, is that how it works? So if Mangold asked him to rewrite something for the film version, there would be an additional session(s) scheduled? Am I getting that right?

34 minutes ago, Thor said:

Tom, are you the new Jurassic Shark? I've been seeing a lot of joke posts from you lately.

Too much coffee at work the last couple of weeks.  

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Tom, are you the new Jurassic Shark? I've been seeing a lot of joke posts from you lately.

Tom’s posts are funny. He doesn’t need to make any excuses.  I like to laugh pretty easily, so I hand out :lol: emoji’s like they’re candy. 

3 hours ago, Brando said:

So Oct 18th was the final day of sessions. In general/past times, inserts/revisions for film version cues would be recorded later, not apart of the main sessions, is that how it works? So if Mangold asked him to rewrite something for the film version, there would be an additional session(s) scheduled? Am I getting that right?

I like where you’re going with this.  The preferred changes would be rewrites and new sessions rather than edits.  Because alternates, right?

3 hours ago, Andy said:

I like where you’re going with this.  The preferred changes would be rewrites and new sessions rather than edits.  Because alternates, right?

Well, yes, but I was asking if inserts/revisions were apart of the normal sessions or they were additional after the fact.

15 hours ago, Thor said:

Where is Jurassic Shark btw? Has his mother delted his account?

I get the impression he got fed up with not being able to make political statements here, and left. 

He's not banned or anything.