From which film composer do you own exactly one score and why just one?

GerateWohl

Usually, when I like a film composer I like collecting his or her scores.

But there are certain cases, where I own just one disc from that artist.

Here are two cases: I own the OST of one particular score from that composer or I even just own one compilation of themes of that composer with just some prominent themes.

Sometimes these are just presents from people, who know, you like soundtracks, so you get these discs for your birthday. But sometimes these scores become kind of favourites of yours, even though they remain being the single album from that particular artist.

Just one score I own of 

Basil Poledouris - Conan The Barbarian (re-recording)

A score that I like very much. As I am mainly interested in orchestral scores the amount of scores from Poleduris that I would go for is quite narrow. And I have harldy seen any of his movies. I might go for Starship Troupers as well, but it seems to be out of print.

Alberto Iglesias - Hable Con Ella

Was a present from a friend. But I really appreciate that score in the meantime. But somehow nothing from Iglesias since then caught my attention.

Trevor Jones - The Dark Crystal

Kind of a memory from the past. ather unusual score for Jones and unique for my understanding. It probably satisfies rather my passion for fatasy scores than my love for scores of Trevor Jones.

Jon Brion - Magnolia

Picked that one in a second hand score for five bugs and really fell in love with this score. Highly melanchonlic in a chamber music style. Nice harmonies and satisfies an area of music that is rarely coevered by other soundtracks. 

There are some others as well, but these came immediately to mind. Do you have any single albums of certain composers for particular reasons?

I've got quite a few of these - in most cases I'm not a follower or a fan of the composer in general, but they just happened to score a film I saw and I liked it, or I somehow came across just the one score once.

Theodore Shapiro - Ghostbusters

Dario Marianelli - Everest

Lorne Balfe - MI:Fallout

Lee Holdridge - The Mists of Avalon

Trevor Jones - Dinotopia

George S. Clinton - Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee

John Du Prez - TMNT

Cliff Eidelman - Picture Bride (rejected score)

Rupert Gregson-Williams - The Prisoner

Craig Safan - The Last Starfighter

Dave Grusin - The Goonies

Why?  I guess because any time I heard samples from any of their other scores, I wasn't wowwed enough to invest, I suppose.

Too many to mention, which is what happens when you have a soundtrack collection that approaches 2000 titles. Either because I've a) only gotten that and not bothered to check out more, or b) I have checked out more, liked them but not gotten around to picking them up, or c) I have checked out more and found none good enough to enter my collection.

Just to take the 'A's:

Adolph Deutsch - THE APARTMENT

Air - VIRGIN SUICIDES

Alan Williams - AMAZON

Alex Weston - THE FAREWELL

Alfonso de Villalonga - BLANCANIEVES

Anders Söderström & Johan Berthling - 30C I FEBRUARI

Andrew Hewitt - SUBMARINE

Andrew Simon McAllister - NOWHERE SPECIAL

Andy Hull & Robert McDowell - SWISS ARMY MAN

Annette Focks - NIGHT TRAIN TO LISBON

Anssi Tikanmäki - THE GIRL KING

Anthony Hopkins - AUGUST

Antony Partos - TANNA

Arnaud Rebotini - OCCHIALI NERI

Arthus Bliss - THINGS TO COME

Arthur Kempel - THE ARRIVAL

....as you can see, it would take me too long to list.

There are a lot!

• Badalamenti - Blue Velvet OST
  • Burwell, Carter - Fargo/Barton Fink OST
  • Conti, Bill - The Right Stuff OST
  • Corigliano, John - The Red Violin OST
  • Daft Punk - Tron Legacy OST
  • Debney, John - The Passion of the Christ OST
  • Eidelman, Cliff - Christopher Columbus OST
  • Hamlisch, Marvin - The Way We Were OST
  • Hess, Nigel - Ladies in Lavender OST
  • Martin, George - Live and Let Die (expanded)
  • Moroder, Giorgio - Midnight Express OST
  • Newman, David - Mr Destiny OST
  • Nitzsche, Jack - One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest OST
  • North, Alex - Viva Zappata (re-recording conducted by Jerry Goldsmith)
  • Rahman - Slumdog Millionaire OST
  • Rodgers & Hammerstein - South Pacific OST
  • Rosenman - Star Trek IV_The Voyage Home (expanded)
  • Small, Michael - Consenting Adults OST
  • Tiersen, Yann - Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain OST
  • Vangelis - Odyssey (2003, compilation)

Elliot Goldenthal - Alien3

I came to late for his Forever expansion and I am still waiting for this B&R and Sphere to be expanded even if at that point I'm not sure it will happen

Thomas Newman - Shawshank Redemption

Still waiting for The Green Mile to happen

David Arnold - The World is not Enough

I only have one of this as I missed Godzilla and Independence Day but I'm waiting for Die Another Day to come back in stock at LLL

Then I've got a bunch of others like Astier's Kaamelott, Frizzell's Dante's Peak, Pemberton's The Man from U.N.C.L.E., Örvarsson The Hitman's Bodyguard, Small's Jaws: The Revenge, Toprak's The Lost City and Jones' Nate and Hayes

Interesting that there are no overlabs so far.

Another one, that comes to my mind

Alejandro Anemabar - The Others 

I would have expected, that I am not the only one just owning that score of Anemabar.

10 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Tiersen, Yann - Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain OST

Yes, that is such a typical candidate. Same for Goran Bregovic's Arizona Dream.

Aaron Zigman - Bridge to Terabithia

Ilan Eshkiri - Stardust

Marc Streitenfeld - Prometheus

I enjoy the above to a decent degree, especially Stardust, but haven't been inspired enough yet to check out more of their work. 

Of those, It's Ilan Eshkiri I'd be most excited to explore. 

Oh good call, I only know Stardust from Eshkiri myself

And I also picked up the Prometheus OST album, because I found it in Amoeba for $2 and I liked the HGW cue :lol:

Prometheus strengthens my belief that myself and two other people here like Streitenfeld's textural approach :lol:

Eshkeri only doesn't make my list as I've also got his Johnny English Reborn score.

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

Frizzell's Dante's Peak

He hasn't gone much else in the action/adventure category, to be fair. Alien Resurrection and Ghost Ship are the only other two I can think of, and neither gets much play. His drama/comedy stuff has never landed with me.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Trevor Jones - The Dark Crystal

Kind of a memory from the past. ather unusual score for Jones and unique for my understanding. It probably satisfies rather my passion for fatasy scores than my love for scores of Trevor Jones.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Trevor Jones - Dinotopia

Hey, a bit love for Trevor here mercy!

MERLIN, at least!

Then, if you a re a lover of the music from the "California Adventure" Disney Tour, Arachnophobia at least for its End Titles!

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

Thomas Newman - Shawshank Redemption

Shawshank is his best score, but he has also done a lot of amazing scores during the 90s and early 2000s: Fried Green Tomatoes, Little Women, Meet Joe Black, Oscar and Lucinda, The Horse Whisperer, The Green Mile, American Beauty, Road to Perdition, Finding Nemo, Angels in America... And you don't need to wait for the expansions because the OSTs already cover the majority of highlights and Newman seems to be averse to expanding his own music (except for Shawshank).

Even in the last decade there's plenty of music to find pleasure in even if he's just retreading what he's done before much of the time.  Saving Mr. Banks, 1917, Bridge of Spies.  Familiar but enjoyable.

15 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Shawshank is his best score

I'd disagree there actually, I'd put Horse Whisperer on top spot. Shawshank is a good example of an intellectually and character-rich score but that doesn't make a consistently enjoyable listen for me.

20 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I'd disagree there actually, I'd put Horse Whisperer on top spot. Shawshank is a good example of an intellectually and character-rich score but that doesn't make a consistently enjoyable listen for me.

I don't entirely disagree with that. I love The Horse Whisperer, it's truly a wonderful score with some of Newman's most emotionally impactful cues. 

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

He hasn't gone much else in the action/adventure category, to be fair. Alien Resurrection and Ghost Ship are the only other two I can think of, and neither gets much play. His drama/comedy stuff has never landed with me.

Yeah it's a bit sad. I would love LLL to reissue Alien Resurrection because I absolutely love it but I've never been interested by anything else in his career.

46 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Shawshank is his best score, but he has also done a lot of amazing scores during the 90s and early 2000s: Fried Green Tomatoes, Little Women, Meet Joe Black, Oscar and Lucinda, The Horse Whisperer, The Green Mile, American Beauty, Road to Perdition, Finding Nemo, Angels in America... And you don't need to wait for the expansions because the OSTs already cover the majority of highlights and Newman seems to be averse to expanding his own music (except for Shawshank).

Nah, waiting for expansions is a good excuse not to spend to much money every month on scores :lol:

2 hours ago, Jay said:

And I also picked up the Prometheus OST album, because I found it in Amoeba for $2 and I liked the HGW cue :lol:

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Prometheus strengthens my belief that myself and two other people here like Streitenfeld's textural approach :lol:

I actually really like the main theme from Prometheus, but other than that there isn't a whole lot that I am gripped by. And yeah, the one HGW cue was nice!

• Bernard Herrmann (Taxi Driver)
  • Leonard Rosenman (The Lord of the Rings)
  • Alberto Iglesias (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy)
  • Jonny Greenwood (There Will Be Blood)
  • Trevor Jones (The Last of the Mohicans)
  • James Newton Howard (King Kong)
  • John Williams (an ancient bootleg cassette of Far and Away)

As to why just one - nothing against the composers; I'm just not really into film scores.

Single Scores:

The Red Violin - John Corigliano

Jaws: The Revenge (composer promo) - Michael Small

LadyHawke (GNP expansion) - Andrew Powell

Ladies in Lavender - Nigel Hess

Star Trek: Generations (OST) - Dennis McCarthy

The Godfather: Part III - Carmine Coppola

Mario Millo - The Lighthorsemen (*fantastic score*)

Exodus - Ernest Gold (Tadlow recording)

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - Cliff Eidelmann (OST and C&C)

Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of fhe Were-Rabbit - Julian Nott

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace - Alexander Courage

Dragonslayer - Alex North

The Robe - Alfred Newman (Fox Records)

Battlestar Galactica - Stu Phillips (Edel OST)

Dune - Toro (OST)

Blue Velvet - Angelo Badalamenti (OST)

Rob Roy - Carter Burwell

Tron Legacy - Daft Punk

The Ewok Adventure and Ewoks: The Battle for Endor - Peter Bernstein

Finding Neverland - Jan A.P. Kaczmarek

The Golden Child - Michel Colombier 

Howard the Duck - Sylvester LeVay

The Broken Chain - Charles Fox

Book of Roses - Michael Convertino

A Room With a View - Richard Robbins

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Tan Dun

Far From the Madding Crowd - Richard Rodney Bennett

Don't Make Waves - Vic Mizzy

Turbulence - Shirley Walker

Anthologies:

Various Star Trek TOS composers - Star Trek: Symphonic Suites Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 (Label X)

Rationale for owning only one score for a given composer:

1. Completing a franchise collection (e.g. Star Trek, Godfather)

2. No other scores by this composer(s) (e.g. Toto)

3. Twofer releases containing a rejected or alternate score by a different composer (e.g. Golden Child)

4. Cheepies picked up opportunistically

The ones in bold are composers that I fully expect to obtain further score releases of in due course.

I found some more worth mentioning:

Jimmy Webb - The Last Unicorn 

Ilona Sekacz - Antonia's Line

Anne Dudley - Felidae

Angela Morley - Watership Down

And why the hell ist the only Randy Newman score I own the rejected Air Force One score? I have no idea.

2 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I found some more worth mentioning:

Jimmy Webb - The Last Unicorn 

I can get a used copy for a fair price - is it worth getting it?

One score which would be the only score in my collection by these two composers if it were ever released (also happens to be one of my top grails):

Twice Upon a Time - Ken Melville and Dawn Atkinson (Lucasfilm "lumage" animated film - score performed by the LSO!)

There are a lot of John Morris scores I'd love to see get reissues and/or expansions from the specialty labels.  I own Blazing Saddles, Clue, and Spaceballs.  It'd be nice to get at least a reissue of Quartet's Yellowbeard release (so I can buy it).  Very fun score!  Morris is severely underrated.

54 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I can get a used copy for a fair price - is it worth getting it?

I just highly recommended it here:

About 50% of the album are the songs. But they fit in perfectly. Wonderful score. Really.

You can listen here: 

49 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

There are a lot of John Morris scores I'd love to see get reissues and/or expansions from the specialty labels.  I own Blazing Saddles, Clue, and Spaceballs.  It'd be nice to get at least a reissue of Quartet's Yellowbeard release (so I can buy it).  Very fun score!  Morris is severely underrated.

I'll let you have your Yellowbeard re-release (I've got a copy) if you let me have a Spaceballs re-release - I have the original album (gifted to me by a friend, years ago, before the expansion came out and when I think the original album was considered ultra-rare) but missed out on the expansion.

Ooh, nice! I'll definitely have a look at that. I was of course referring specifically to film scores and to the fact that both Bernstein and Sainton have only written one score each.

12 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Ooh, nice! I'll definitely have a look at that. I was of course referring specifically to film scores and to the fact that both Bernstein and Sainton have only written one score each.

Sainton’s concert scores sound very much like his sole film score.

Yavar

For those who only have Sky Captain from Ed Shearmur, Johnny English is pretty fun. 

John Barry - Dances With Wolves

Daniel Pemberton - Enola Holmes

Brad Fiedel - Terminator 2

David Julyan - The Cabin In The Woods

Daniel Hart - Pete's Dragon

Trevor Morris - The Tudors

Steven Price almost makes the list for Gravity, but I also have the full episode scores he put out for Our Planet.

In most cases I saw the film or just stumbled across the score, and for whatever reason nothing I've heard from the composer otherwise has interested me.

14 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Daniel Pemberton - Enola Holmes

It's the only Pemberton score I really like as well. He's very talented, no doubt about it, and will win an Oscar someday... But his style is not for me.