La-La Land Records Black Friday 2022

Jay

5 hours ago, Alan said:

Here's a crazy idea. Fellowship of the Ring as one of the titles that was delayed. Originally planned for its 20th anniversary last year and now nicely ties in to the renewed interest in Middle Earth and it's music. Remastered and presenting the music as intended ;)

I'll keep dreaming...

Are the Complete Recordings incomplete?

14 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The John Williams Oliver Stone collection (not likely, they're movies from different studios);

Plus, Nixon was released on a Disney-affiliated label, so it’s likely to come from Intrada (as is The Patriot). Those three scores would pair together nicely, though, especially since a cue from Born on the Fourth of July was tracked into JFK!

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

This sentence only makes sense on a film score forum :lol:

I worded it that way because I thought it was hilarious :lol:

38 minutes ago, Jay said:

Considerably incomplete, yes

Ohh I didn’t know that. I knew they were missing some music, but I figured it wasn’t that much. 

35 minutes ago, Brando said:

Ohh I didn’t know that. I knew they were missing some music, but I figured it wasn’t that much. 

I tried doing a Fellowship of the Rings Extended Edition isolated score a while back: I never finished it but I got up to the halfway mark, from what I remember there was a couple sections of music heard in the film that was microedited from the CR (maybe 30 seconds worth, available in video games), plus an alternate ending to one cue that was not on the CR (but was on the Rarities Archive)

In terms of the Extended Editions they seem to be mostly complete, but when you factor in the theatrical editions there is loads of unreleased music (the CRs prioritized the Extended Edition versions of cues) - that's also not considering any possible unused music, nor the lack of clean openings/endings since many cues are crossfaded together. Since we don't have a complete cue list I couldn't tell you how much exactly we're missing but I imagine it's a lot

2 hours ago, NL197 said:

Sneakers might be a possibility for a 30th anniversary expanded release. 

10 years ago LLL said they tried to expand it but was turned down with no explanation given. In those 10 years LLL has done a ton of Universal (and Sony) titles so that makes me think there's a chance.  

That would absolutely be an instant purchase. There is some great music omitted from the OST.

Here are the CD titles that LLL has released in the past at the price points mentioned

$39.98

1576 Fiddler On The Roof (3-CD)

1566 The Time Tunnel Vol 2 (3-CD)

1353reissue A.I. Artificial Intelligence (3-CD) {this is the 2021 reissue, the 2015 original version was $34.98)

1559 The Time Tunnel Vol 1 (3-CD)

1382reissue The X-Files Vol 1 (4-CD) {this is the 2016 reissue, the 2011 original version was $49.98)

$29.98

Almost all their 2-CD titles are at this price point, so there's no point in listing them.  They have released four 3-CD sets at this price though, though none since 2013:

1250 Wyatt Earp

1193 Planet of the Apes

1192 Space Above And Beyond

1180 The Golden Child

$21.98

1611 How The Grinch Stole Christmas

1599 Overwhelm The Sky

1605 Cobra Kai Season 5 (2-CD)

1602 Beavis and Butt-head Do The Universe

1601 The First Wives Club

1592 Beavis and Butt-head Do America

1597 Flesh and Bone

1590 The Weather Man

1586 Fire In The Sky

1583 Videodrome

1585 Cobra Kai Season 4 (2-CD)

1580 The Next Karate Kid

1581 Love Actually

1575 It's A Wonderful Life

1578 Escape From LA

1569 Stripes

1550 Somewhere In Time

1571 Internal Affairs

1568 Waiting For Barbarians

1527 Always

1552 Cabo Blanco

1564 Dragonslayer

1552 The Orville Season 2 (2-CD)

1553 Cobra Kai Season 3 (2-CD)

1493 The Orville Season 1 (2-CD)

22 hours ago, Drawgoon said:

Elfman's Spider-Man 1 perhaps? If I am not mistaking, this year marked the 20th anniversary of this film. I remember that #2 and #3 were said to be impossible to do, but I don't think I've ever heard the same for the first one.

Impossible to do because of several different people writing music for the films? I sure hope they all get expanded at some point...

11 minutes ago, Brando said:

Impossible to do because of several different people writing music for the films? I sure hope they all get expanded at some point...

I don't think music by additional composers would factor in, especially since a lot of (most?) films seem to have music by uncredited composers. I suppose it would depend on their contracts.

SM3 most certainly is in some sort of legal purgatory if LLL has ruled it out long ago (though I guess it's possible the 2007 date might be a factor, or more likely that Sony would call dibs on doing the first release themselves). SM2 I guess might not be on the cards because of Elfman's time with the film, but of course him not owning the music would make that a very unlikely cause for rejection.

I think it was MV who said that The Orville New Horizons won't be released by them, but does this mean that they can't even release a physical edition of digital release made by another label, like Varèse did with HTTYD2? Because if the $39.99 set was this score it would be the best BF since the HP boxset

15 minutes ago, John F said:

Why would people think a Lost World reissue is a possibility for Black Friday? Usually BF slots are designated for first time expanders no?

Well, it's not something that can't be done (see Home Alone re-expansion).

On 06/11/2022 at 7:51 AM, John F said:

Why would people think a Lost World reissue is a possibility for Black Friday? Usually BF slots are designated for first time expanders no?

They've been doing Black Friday batches for 14 years now, and during that time have released 14 titles on Black Friday that were (improved!) expansions of scores that had already been expanded before (by them or someone else)

On 04/11/2022 at 4:46 PM, Jay said:

Out of the 64 previous Black Friday titles,

9 are for television series

1. Shirley Walker, Lolita Ritmanis, and Michael McCuistion - Batman: The Animated Series (2CD)
  2. Mark Snow - Millennium (2CD)
  3. Bear McCreary - Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
  4. Various - Star Trek: The Original Series (15 CD) (1701 - 6000)
  5. Various - Star Trek: Enterprise (4CD) (1330 - 3,000)
  6. Various - Star Trek: 50th Anniversary Collection (1410 - 3,000)
  7. Various - Land of the Giants 50th Anniversary Soundtrack Collection (4CD)
  8. Various - Star Trek Voyager Collection Volume 2 (4CD)
  9. Mark Snow - The X-Files Volume 4

6 are box-sets of multiple films

1. Michael Kamen - Lethal Weapon Soundtrack Collection (8CD) (1287 - 3,000)
  2. Danny Elfman - Batman / Batman Returns (4CD) (1327 - 3,000)
  3. John Williams - Jurassic Park / The Lost World (4CD) (1409 - 5,000)
  4. John Williams - Harry Potter: The John Williams Soundtrack Collection (7CD)
  5. John Williams - The John Williams Disaster Movie Soundtrack Collection (4CD)
  6. Various - Nevada Smith - The Paramount Westerns Collection (4CD)

2 are OST albums for new films

1. John Debney - Bonnie and Clyde (1292 - unlimited)
  2. Bear McCreary - Freaky

15 are premiere releases of old scores

1. Les Baxter - Panic In Year Zero
  2. James Horner - Jade (15th Anniversary)
  3. Danny Elfman - Scrooged  (1195 - 3,000)
  4. Ennio Morricone - Fat Man and Little Boy (2CD) (1196 - 3,000)
  5. Dimitri Tiomkin - Gunfight at the OK Corral (1280 - 2,000)
  6. Robert Folk - Police Academy (1269 - 3,000)
  7. Danny Elfman - Big Top Pee Wee (1334 - 2,500)
  8. David Arnold - Shaft (1326 - 2,500)
  9. Dimitri Tiomkin - Giant [2CD] (1333 - 3,000)
  10. Harold Faltermeyer - Beverly Hills Cop II (1407 - 3,000)
  11. Harold Faltermeyer - Beverly Hills Cop (1406 - 3,000)
  12. Leslie Bricusse - Doctor Dolittle (50th Anniversary) (2CD)
  13. David Shire - Apocalypse Now - The Unused Score
  14. Ernest Troost & Robert Folk - Tremors (30th Anniversary)
  15. Craig Armstrong - Love Actually

18 are the first time a score was expanded

1. Jerry Goldsmith - Innerspace
  2. James Newton Howard - The Fugitive (2CD)
  3. Danny Elfman - Batman Returns (2CD)
  4. Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (2CD)
  5. John Williams - Home Alone (20th Anniversary)
  6. Ennio Morricone - The Untouchables (25th Anniversary) (1236 - 3500)
  7. Michael Kamen - Die Hard With A Vengeance (2CD) (1233 - 4000)
  8. John Ottman - Superman Returns (2CD) (1282 - 3,000)
  9. John Debney - Passion Of The Christ (10th Anniversary) (2CD) (1329 - 10,000)
  10. James Horner - The Pagemaster (1378 - 2,000)
  11. James Horner - Braveheart (20th Anniversary) (2CD) (1375 - 3,000)
  12. David Arnold - Die Another Day (15th Anniversary) (2CD)
  13. James Horner - Titanic (20th Anniversary) (4CD)
  14. Leslie Bricusse - Doctor Dolittle (50th Anniversary) (2CD)
  15. John Williams - Schindler's List (25th Anniversary) (2CD)
  16. David Arnold - The World Is Not Enough (2CD)
  17. Wojciech Kilar - Bram Stoker's Dracula (3CD)
  18. Alfred Newman - The Diary of Anne Frank (2CD)

14 are new expansions of scores that had been expanded before

1. Michael Kamen - Die Hard (2CD) (1188 - 3,500)
  2. John Williams - Home Alone 2: Lost In New York (20th Anniversary) (2CD) (1232 - 3000)
  3. John Williams - Home Alone (25th Anniversary) (2CD) (1374 - 5,000)
  4. John Barry - Dances With Wolves (25th Anniversary) [2CD] (1350 - 5,000)
  5. James Horner - Titanic (20th Anniversary) (4CD)
  6. John Williams - Close Encounters of the Third Kind (40th Anniversary) (2CD)
  7. David Arnold - Stargate (25th Anniversary) (2CD)
  8. Bill Conti - The Karate Kid (35th Anniversary)
  9. Goldsmith At 20th Vol. 1 - Von Ryan's Express / The Blue Max (2CD)
  10. Goldsmith At 20th Vol. 2 - The Detective / The Flim-Flam Man
  11. Bill Conti - The Karate Kid Part III
  12. John Williams - Fiddler on the Roof (50th Anniversary) (3CD)
  13. Bill Conti  - The Next Karate Kid
  14. Harry Manfredini - Friday The 13th

4 hours ago, John F said:

Also because they reissued the first score by itself, along with the OST and a few additions. Plus since the box set is OOP, they could reissue TLW by itself maybe with the OST and an extra track or two.

OK I finally updated the countdown clock to be 3 hours earlier in light of the announcements news

Also:

On 04/11/2022 at 5:27 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

Bonnie and Clyde was not a Black Friday title, but a rare late December announcement.

Yavar

On 06/11/2022 at 1:47 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

Bonnie and Clyde was not a Black Friday release I’m pretty sure; wasn’t it a rare late December tie-in release from LLL?

Yavar

Nope.

image.png

I don't know if "problem" is the right word, here is exactly what MV said about it: 

Seasons 1 and 2 sold very poorly. We are out of the Orville business regardless of what network it's on. Sadly, No one bought it.

MV

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29133-the-orville-music-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=1861119

&

I just want to clarify that we absolutely love and adore the show and it's music. The unfortunate thing is no one cares about cds for new TV shows or films anymore. From time to time we will do a CD release of a new project but the only reason we are still in business is because of titles like Field of Dreams or Xmen...Fiddler on the Roof or Star Trek. That's what consumers want on CD and/or vinyl...not the new stuff. Why pay $15 or $20 for a CD when you can just stream it for free because some asshole puts it up on YouTube or other sites like bittorrent? Or if you pay a few bucks a month for Spotify or Amazon you can literally stream all the new product you want for practically nothing. It's a harsh reality but digital won.

MV

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29133-the-orville-music-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=1861184

Aside from John Williams (anything), I'd be excited always if David Arnold shows up, if any Bond shows up (I dearly hope LLL gets to continue with Bond in the future), or any Elliot Goldenthal, Jerry Goldsmith or Basil Poledouris, Bruce Broughton. 

I realized recently that the LLL Black Friday announcement has been one of my most looked forward to things all year. It's exciting to see the announcement when it drops, even if it doesn't contain something most-wanted, it's awesome to see well-produced sets with beautiful artwork and I'm always excited to see what shows up each year. 

Yes nothing would make me happier than Amazon letting LLL do the Bond scores MV posted they were about to do before the acquisition (Tomorrow Never Dies, Moonraker, and License To Kill)

And yea there's always great Jim Titus artwork every Black Friday batch!

Ah yeah, I remember that whole 'digital won' debate. Just couldn't remember if that was the only factor.

It does surprise me when the speciality guys do CDs of current or newer scores for precisely the reasons MV states - hardly anyone wants CDs of them and a lot of mainstream stuff is put on YouTube officially by the publishers anyway.

My eyebrows were firmly raised when they did a CD of that new Sonic movie... they thought that was going to sell?

I've been tempted at various points to buy Love Actually from their last BF, but it would have to go in a larger order and the whole thing's on Spotify and digital.

Buying the physical CD from a specialty label instead of the digital release helps the label stay in business and release more scores

For music released by major labels, they'll be fine either way

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Buying the physical CD from a specialty label instead of the digital release helps the label stay in business and release more scores

For music released by major labels, do as you wish!

I'll do as I wish no matter who releases it.

I’ll never stream.  I prefer CDs and try to support the labels directly in their individual stores, but will buy digital download if it’s no longer available from those labels or is a score I’m very iffy on (some 90s Disney fare I wouldn’t spend $20 on from Intrada, the How to Drain Your Dragon releases from Varese). 

I'm sure Spotify influences my buying to a degree.

But I also can't think of many (any?) current scores I want to own.

While, yes, The Eiger Sanction is a day one purchase.

42 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

For almost any non-Williams score, if the album is released digitally I wouldn't even consider ordering a CD

I wouldn't go that far, but I too am extremely picky about what I physically buy.

For one thing, if you have limited shelf space, you have no choice. For another, the classical music market is so idioticially large that you could easily fill three houses with nice recordings of my favourite works.

But the most important question for me is proabbly: Would I ever take this off the shelf and put in my CD player? Very few albums get a resounding yes to that answer because I'm just not wildly enthusiastic about a lot.

I buy lots of digital classical music as I refuse to stream, but feel no guilt whatsoever about not buying more specialty label film scores. I know, it's not their fault that they can't do digital releases, but my buying policy combined with the moronic shipping rates made that decision extremely easy to make. I will always treasure physical purchases like the HP set and Titanic, but it's just not worth the money or space to buy releases that I just like for me.