La-La Land Records Black Friday 2022

Jay

I've never seen Amistad so I've never thought to myself, "gee I want more music." Skip. 

The Spider-Man score bootleg is good enough for me. Skip. 

I've never bought a single expanded James Bond score. This won't be the first. Skip. 

The Burbs movie annoys me and I have enough Goldsmith. 

The Godfather is the only offer I can't refuse. 

LLL hit it out of the park this BF! I'm 100% down for four of the five releases (I'll pass on the Goldsmith). Wife's gonna kill me, since that's $130 (plus tax & ship) she will think is a perfect waste of money, but she's going to cope with it like an adult 'cause those four releases are as good as bought.

AMISTAAAD!!!:wub:

Spider-Man's good too but I wanna give the main program a listen before I jump on it.

So my next order's Amistad, Rings of Power and potentially SM. Nice way to squander my inflation bonus!

Well, I get to avoid a huge splurge this BF :) Nothing in this batch for me, but it's good that nearly everyone else has gotten something from it.

It's really good that Spidey is on the table for the future though and that Bond is a 'go'.

Yea you have to imagine Spidey 1 and 2 were licensed at the same time.   I wonder if Spidey 2 will be out next Black Friday, or a random time sooner

2 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Spidey, TND and Amistad for me! Never heard The 'Burbs before. What other Goldsmith scores is it similar to?

Basically, it's a Joe Dante movie. So the tone would not be dissimilar to things like Gremlins, Explorers, Small Soldiers etc. Mischievous and playful type of Goldsmith.

Karol

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea you have to imagine Spidey 1 and 2 were licensed at the same time.   I wonder if Spidey 2 will be out next Black Friday, or a random time sooner

Spider-man 2 is probably much more complicated than the 1st due to the mix of Elfman and Young cues

Oh right, and there were other additional composers too, wasn't there.  Yea, that could take a while to sort out... and I guess Elfman could ask that only his music be on a new expansion, too.

5 minutes ago, Gibster said:

Spider-man 2 is probably much more complicated than the 1st due to the mix of Elfman and Young cues

They might opt to release a Elfman-only material.

Karol

Which would suck, because the Debney cues remain the only missing pieces. And yet I do wonder if the whole experience was enough of a deterrent for Elfman that he figures he's better off not getting in the way of the expansion, if only because he knows how much fans do like the music in the film (even if it butchers his work).

(Do note that the OST has no thank you section whatsoever, to give an idea of just how pissed off he was afterwards.)

It should be noted that LLL's Darkman release contains the helicopter chase music that wasn't written by Elfman, but by Jonathan Sheffer

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

It should be noted that LLL's Darkman release contains the helicopter chase music that wasn't written by Elfman, but by Jonathan Sheffer

Why talking about Darkman, it's still OOP!

56 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

(Do note that the OST has no thank you section whatsoever, to give an idea of just how pissed off he was afterwards.)

He should have gone all Horner a la The New World CD booklet. ;)

Karol

This is one of those scores where every single cue is great and none are superfluous.  The new main program will be amazing, I already know from countless listens to the old expansion/isolated score track - and the fact that the main program will now feature completely unused music we've never heard before will only make it better than I can imagine.  No more missing middle of the Jet Fight cue!

On 25/11/2022 at 12:00 PM, Anthony said:

Missing middle of the jet fight cue?!

In the film, after Bond finally hits the ejector seat button, there is no music heard until he is saying his "backseat driver" line.  I always assumed the filmmakers dialed something out there.  Maybe I am wrong and the cue was written that way... we'll find out soon!

On 25/11/2022 at 12:00 PM, Anthony said:

This new TND release is great regardless of which version you previously owned...even the "complete" bootleg.

There's never been a bootleg of this score, meaning there's never been a leak of any untouched recordings or anything.  Any "bootlegs" are literally just fan edits that combined the OST, Chapter III release, and isolated score together in different ways.

I know the OST very well, heard Chapter III a couple of times many years ago and watched the film only once. So it will be plenty to discover and enjoy, I am sure. The other two expansions greatly improved the scores in my eyes and this will be no expectation. :)

Karol

I am still blown away by how much I love Neil's TWINE expansion.  When that score came out, I didn't really like it.  I tried listening to the OST album many times and just couldn't get into it, always losing interest eventually after that brilliant opening chase sequence (which I never had a problem loving).

The expansion completely changed my mind around.  I instantly loved the expansion, and could not stop listening, and eventually realized I liked the score even more than I loved Tomorrow Never Dies, which had been a favorite of mine since I got the OST album (before the film opened).

I wonder if this expansion will swing things back around, and make TND my favorite Arnold Bond score again? 

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I am still blown away by how much I love Neil's TWINE expansion.  When that score came out, I didn't really like it.  I tried listening to the OST album many times and just couldn't get into it, always losing interest eventually after that brilliant opening chase sequence (which I never had a problem loving).

The expansion completely changed my mind around.  I instantly loved the expansion, and could not stop listening, and eventually realized I liked the score even more than I loved Tomorrow Never Dies, which had been a favorite of mine since I got the OST album before the film opened.

I wonder if this expansion will swing things back around, and make TND my favorite Arnold Bond score again? 

Funnily enough I had that experience with Die Another Day which I always regarded as the runt of the Arnold scores for Pierce Brosnan but I love the expanded version and now rate it much closer to the other two. I even like the Madonna song these days… I still love that one of the action motifs from TWINE is basically Dr Evil’s theme from Austin Powers.

Having not been grabbed last year I can safely say that I’ll be acquiring all five of these releases. I’ve not listened to Amistad in ages and while I’ve always enjoyed Dry Your Tears, Afrika, it always felt a bit clunky compared to (for example) Hans’ African stuff. But then he knew who to collaborate with for a more authentic sound. I wonder if Mike managed to remove the fairly audible noise on the opening vocal solo of DYTA at about 26 seconds in. I seem to recall someone speculated that it was Shawn Murphy tapping the microphone…

Having been a bit underwhelmed by some of the other Rota expansions (sorry Rota fans) I have dutifully picked up, I’m very much looking forward to the Godfather. A classic score that sorely needed a top class restoration.

I was quite surprised to find I didn’t actually own the Burbs (I think someone sent me a CD-R years ago during its many years of being out of print) so I’lol be glad to pick it up legitimately and in improved sound.

It’s funny how the view on Elfman’s Spider-Man has changed over the years. Everyone complaining that it didn’t have any themes (it does, several in fact) and wasn’t as good as Batman. While the latter may still hold true, I’m glad it’s gone up so much in popularity. There’s a really great old FSM podcast which talks about Elfman’s score and some of their observations are very astute. Notably that the themes are more blocky and a lot of the movement is in the arrangement. Unlike Batman where the theme is very agile.