La-La Land Records Black Friday 2022

Jay

43 minutes ago, Jay said:

There's never been a bootleg of this score, meaning there's never been a leak of any untouched recordings or anything.  Any "bootlegs" are literally just fan edits that combined the OST, Chapter III release, and isolated score together in different ways.

There may not be any legit sessions leak, but I would absolutely call edits like the ones described "bootlegs," especially if any of them were sold for money which I bet some were.

13 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I still love that one of the action motifs from TWINE is basically Dr Evil’s theme from Austin Powers.

Examples, please!

Having not been grabbed last year I can safely say that I’ll be acquiring all five of these releases. I’ve not listened to Amistad in ages and while I’ve always enjoyed Dry Your Tears, Afrika, it always felt a bit clunky compared to (for example) Hans’ African stuff. But then he knew who to collaborate with for a more authentic sound.

I find it interesting that so much discussion of the score is centered around the end credits song, when its really just a small component of everything the score sets out to accomplish, and doesn't even arrive in the film until the credits are rolling.

I wonder if Mike managed to remove the fairly audible noise on the opening vocal solo of DYTA at about 26 seconds in. I seem to recall someone speculated that it was Shawn Murphy tapping the microphone…

Wow, I never noticed those on the OST album before but they sure are noticeable with headphones, wow!

There’s a really great old FSM podcast which talks about Elfman’s score and some of their observations are very astute. Notably that the themes are more blocky and a lot of the movement is in the arrangement. 

Oh I remember that podcast!  Those were great back in the day, I wish there was more!

3 hours ago, Jay said:

It should be noted that LLL's Darkman release contains the helicopter chase music that wasn't written by Elfman, but by Jonathan Sheffer

Interestingly, Elfman tweeted around the time of this release that he was (positively!) surprised by it. It seems like he didn't even know it was happening.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I find it interesting that so much discussion of the score is centered around the end credits song, when its really just a small component of everything the score sets out to accomplish, and doesn't even arrive in the film until the credits are rolling.

Isnt the whole finale scored by the song too? I remember it starting as the american ships starts bombing the fortress-slave camp….

9 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I wonder if Mike managed to remove the fairly audible noise on the opening vocal solo of DYTA at about 26 seconds in. I seem to recall someone speculated that it was Shawn Murphy tapping the microphone…

I'm watching the movie now, and I'm pretty certain I'm hearing this noise just before the title of the movie comes on.

8 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

Interestingly, Elfman tweeted around the time of this release that he was (positively!) surprised by it. It seems like he didn't even know it was happening.

You mean Darkman

Karol

19 hours ago, Jay said:

Examples, please!

Of course now I can't find the reference in Austin Powers, but in TWINE, it's the six note motif that forms the basis of the Caviar Factory action cue. Maybe it's that it sounds similar rather than identical to some of the Doctor Evil material... which would be quite disappointing lol.

19 hours ago, Jay said:

Wow, I never noticed those on the OST album before but they sure are noticeable with headphones, wow!

Well it's the main concert arrangement and probably the most memorable element to come from the score as a whole hence it gets the most focus. I always find it a bit too incongruously upbeat as well as somewhat foursquare in its rhythmic approach that makes it sound more westernised than (for example) Hans Z's African music, or even something like Spirit of Africa from Congo. I'm definitely looking forward to exploring the full score again, it's not one I've listened to in ages. And yeah, that studio noise is quite annoying when you are aware of it but hopefully it has been removed (like the chair squeak from Journey to the Island!).

24 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Of course now I can't find the reference in Austin Powers, but in TWINE, it's the six note motif that forms the basis of the Caviar Factory action cue. Maybe it's that it sounds similar rather than identical to some of the Doctor Evil material... which would be quite disappointing lol.

On 26/11/2022 at 4:06 PM, Jay said:

Heh, that reminds me.  Nobody seems to have noticed this, but I guess enough time has passed that I can tell the story now.  When working on the Jurassic Park reissue, I floated the idea to Mike to restore the chair creak for the OST rebuild on disc 2, since it had been wiped out of the 2013 Ramiro release, the 2016 box set, and wouldn't be on the disc 1 film version rebuild.  He thought about it and in the end decided to restore the chair creek!  I thought somebody would have noticed by now, but oh well.  I guess it was always @Gruesome Son of a Bitch that went on and on about the chair creek the most, and he probably didn't even buy it.

Wait, so you requested to add a sound effect to the score? :o;)

On 26/11/2022 at 10:06 AM, Jay said:

Heh, that reminds me.  Nobody seems to have noticed this, but I guess enough time has passed that I can tell the story now.  When working on the Jurassic Park reissue, I floated the idea to Mike to restore the chair creak for the OST rebuild on disc 2, since it had been wiped out of the 2013 Ramiro release, the 2016 box set, and wouldn't be on the disc 1 film version rebuild.  He thought about it and in the end decided to restore the chair creek!  I thought somebody would have noticed by now, but oh well.  I guess it was always @Gruesome Son of a Bitch that went on and on about the chair creek the most, and he probably didn't even buy it.

You mean Mike LEFT the chair cracking sound as it was originally, rather than trying to remove it digitally... Mike did not artificially recreate the sound.

11 minutes ago, fommes said:

Wait, so you requested to add a sound effect to the score? :o;)

It's part of the music! :)

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

You mean Mike LEFT the chair cracking sound as it was originally, rather than trying to remove it digitally... Mike did not artificially recreate the sound.

Correct.

For me it depends. I like the nature of something inherently human like breathing, the operation of the instrument itself, or a chair creak. There's at least one score - Elfman's Batman maybe? - where someone's digital watch beeps during the music, that's no bueno. 

Sleepy Hollow as presented on Intrada's set is full of such noises. At one point, you can hear someone coughing. But it sort of adds to the "creaking" B-grade feel of the movie. Has certain charm.

Karol

3 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Im waiting this time for the next williams release. Shipping is too high

At music-box records shipping is 17 euros for one release!!!!

Someone pointed to me this site: 

https://www.intermezzomedia.com/

where shipping is 9,5 euros.

I'd like to wait too, but I'm not sure if Amistad goes OOP soon...

Ordered Spider-man, Amistad, and The Godfather.  Originally it was just going to be the Elfman and Williams, but the sound quality in the samples sold me on making my The Godfather purchase today.  

I might pick up TND on sale some day, and spending money on another version of The Burbs isn’t for me.

Had to set some limits. Just Amistad and the Burbs for now. Reeeaally wanted to order Spider-Man, but it’ll have to wait.   Would love to be able to get all 5. 

Didn't order Spider-Man but TND and Godfather.

If Spider-Man was one disc less and less expensive, I may have ordered it as well, but I'm not paying for a needless re-issue of the OST, and I don't think there's much unreleased material I'm interested in.

1 hour ago, TolkienSS said:

If Spider-Man was one disc less and less expensive, I may have ordered it as well, but I'm not paying for a needless re-issue of the OST, and I don't think there's much unreleased material I'm interested in.

See I don't have a copy of the OST on disc yet, so it all works out for me!

Bummer for me, I was excited to get my CDs on Saturday, but it looks like the US Postal Service screwed up....my package instead of going from California to Idaho, went to Kansas for some reason, then now it's back in LA. 

Guess I'll be waiting a while. 

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

On 30/11/2022 at 1:46 PM, TolkienSS said:

Same here.