The Fabelmans - score in the film

Sandor

3:34-3:44 could be from the score 

5:18-5:22 has got to be one of the piano solos on the OST

5:58-6:04 sounds like score

Huh. They say his parent's divorce and how it affected him isn't a part of the film. Didn't see that coming. 

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

3:34-3:44 could be from the score 

That's the music from the trailer, which if sources are to be believed, was not composed by Williams.  I suppose it's possible that whoever got that information (I can't remember who it came from) might not have known enough to say that, while he didn't directly score it, the trailer house composer was using Williams' theme.

18 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I think she's saying specifically the aftermath of the divorce and the estrangement he had with his dad isn't in the movie. 

Yea, I clearly watched it too fast. Also the Bluetooth headphones I had on must have a crazy delay since all my timestamps are off

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Yea, I clearly watched it too fast. Also the Bluetooth headphones I had on must have a crazy delay since all my timestamps are off

Yeah, most BT stuff has latency IIRC.

23 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Apparently he leaves out the fact that it was his mother who cheated and ended her marriage. 

Not true.  Multiple critics have talked about the specific scene when he discovers this.  

In fact I'm pretty sure it's in the synopsis 

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Not true.  Multiple critics have talked about the specific scene when he discovers this.  

In fact I'm pretty sure it's in the synopsis 

By all accounts the Bach Adagio scores that moment 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Jay said:

Wow seeing JW play the theme on the piano in his house was awesome

Here's the same video on youtube, might be better quality than twitter

But why on earth does the trailer music still pop up at the end? Or is this by JW?

1 hour ago, bigjimwilson said:

That shot of him lifting his hands at the end is fantastic! 

As if to say “and that’s how I’m still smashing it out 48 years later” 😄

YES!

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, thx99 said:

So nice to hear Williams playing.

I really do love the theme. Something about it spoke to me on first listen. Tugs at my heartstrings in a way.

I saw the film at the cinema this afternoon.

It's funny, for all the talk about how little score there is both in the score and on the album, after seeing it, my thought is;  If anything, the film is actually overscored!

Other than Mitzi's campsite dance, the late-night "phone call", and Sam's jubilant studio walk after talking to Ford, I'm not sure if any other scenes in the film actually needed to have original score in them.  One scene in particular, when Sam and Mitzi have a conversation in the kitchen, I actually found the score to be distracting.

All the existing, non-JW music was used perfectly throughout the picture.

32 minutes ago, Jay said:

One scene in particular, when Sam and Mitzi have a fight in the kitchen, I actually found the score to be distracting.

Um, when she slapped him? That scene had no music in it. Aside from that, there is no scene like what you described. The only other scene of Sam and Mitzi in the kitchen is when they reconcile with each other; that scene was scored.

13 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

The only other scene of Sam and Mitzi in the kitchen is when they reconcile with each other; that scene was scored.

Such a nice scene too and perfectly scored by the second half of "Mother and Son" from the OST (if memory serves, or at least something similar to it).

EDIT: double-checked and actually I think that scene's score is actually represented in the end credits on the OST?

Um, when she slapped him? That scene had no music in it.

I know it didn't.  I wasn't talking about that scene.

The only other scene of Sam and Mitzi in the kitchen is when they reconcile with each other; that scene was scored.

Yes, that is the scene I was referring too - I found the score distracting in that scene.

I thought it was perfect.  After the emotionally complex prom sequence, for Sam to be able to again find relief in the warmth and support of his mother in that kitchen scene, it definitely called for the comfort of the main theme.

I'm sure this has been pointed out already, but:

The first score cue heard in the film is not on the OST album.  This cue:

And, the piano piece Mitzi is playing when she has the long fingernails is not on the OST album either

The end credits identifies it as "Piano Sonata No. 1 in F Minor, Op.2 No. 1: I. Allegro" by Ludwig Van Beethoven. 

I have to assume that Joanne Pierce Martin recorded it for the film, like all of Mitzi's performances, since a specific performance isn't called out in the end credits.

It's baffling to me that both of these pieces would not be on the soundtrack album!

1 minute ago, Jay said:

The first score cue heard in the film is not on the OST album.  This cue:

Yes, although the beginning of "The Journey Begins" is similar enough that I'm not too cut up about it.

I think it's pretty different

Mitzi's Dance is also different (and longer) in the film.  Midnight Call is different too (the whole scene is shorter than the OST track length)

On 13/01/2023 at 2:22 PM, MrJosh said:

So nice to hear Williams playing.

I really do love the theme. Something about it spoke to me on first listen. Tugs at my heartstrings in a way.

I think it sort of sounds like a less catchy version of  the theme from Contact

There's another non-JW composition recorded for the film that isn't on the OST album:

"Walk On By", music by Burt Bacharach, lyrics by Hal David, written for Dionne Warwick

In the film, it is diagetic music played by an on-screen band at the prom; The end credits has these 3 in the cast list, so I guess they are the vocalists of the recording:

• Singer #1 Mary Flynn
  • Singer #2 Adriel Porter
  • Singer #3 Tia Nalls

And then later in the music section, some performers are credited

• Violin by Amritha Vaz
  • Trumpet by Jon Lewis
  • Background Vocals by Stephanie Alexander

There's a total of 4 compositions in the film that were not written by Williams, but were definitely recorded specifically for the film, and are not on the OST album:

1. "Elite Syncopations" by Scott Joplin
  2. "Piano Sonata No. 1 in F Minor, Op.2 No. 1: I. Allegro" by Ludwig van Beethoven
  3. "3 Gymnopédies No. 2" by Erik Satie
  4. "Walk On By" by Burt Bacharach & Hal David

And there's 2 score cues in the film that are not on the OST album at all.

The first one is already mentioned and its scene is embedded a few posts above.

The second one, I assumed was something needed-dropped in from an old western score, however there is nothing that covers it in the end credits.  So it must be a Williams original!  It's an awesome western guitar piece that gives way to a string passage that culminates in a nice horn solo.  It's a great cue!  I want it!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

There's of 1:01:55 of music in the final film (which runs 2:30:46)

38:12 of that is source music

23:43 is original John Williams score

And those 24 minutes of score don't exactly match with the music on the OST album.  It seems the film used different takes than the OST album for most cues (maybe all cues). 

Outside of those performances differences, there's still music in the film that isn't on the album, and music on the album that isn't in the film.  Weird.

Is there a FYC for the score? And, if there is, does it have the film versions of cues? It would be weird since the movie has been campaigning so hard for this awards season if they didn't prepare a FYC.