Which movie will be the best and biggest of late 2022: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever or Avatar: The Way of Water?

Edmilson

BPWF vs ATWOW  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which movie will make more money at the box office?

• Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
  2. 2. Which movie are you more excited to watch?

• Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
  3. 3. Which score do you think will be better?

• Ludwig Göransson - Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
    • Simon Franglen - Avatar: The Way of Water
  4. 4. Which movie will you watch IN THEATERS?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/22 at 03:00 AM

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever vs Avatar: The Way of Water - a battle that, no matter who makes more money, Disney wins ;).

Here's a few polls to compare these two would-be blockbusters before they come out!

35 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I predict Avatar will make more than Panther worldwide, but less at the US box office.

That seems about right. The first BP made over 50% of its global box office on the US alone, so it was more of a domestic hit (though successful in other countries too). Avatar will probably be the biggest movie of the year worldwide.

I don't know if there's any interest for Black Panther or not. I just don't follow the marvel crowd. I've never liked Marvel.....but Despite the fact that it's foolish to vote against Jim Cameron I don't see any excitement for Avatar

Very excited for AVATAR 2. Skeptical, but open to its score.

Zero interest in BLACK PANTHER, film and score.

I hope AVATAR blows PANTHER out of the water (no pun intended), commercially and critically.

I am somewhat intrigued by BP2 and will watch both (might as well with limitless). But given Cameron's track record, his film will be probably better and will likely make more money worldwide. I am very much looking forward to BP2 score, however. If Ludwig manages to follow it up in the same way he did with his Creed sequel then we are in for a treat. His previous entry is one of the finest Marvel scores. Having said that, I will give Avatar 2 score a fair chance.

Karol

The previews for BP2 don’t do much for me.  They look too busy - like it’ll be a real LOUD movie.  Avatar trailers look as mediocre as the first movie.  For me, BP gets the edge across the board.  I’ve been surprised into liking MCU movies, but I’ve never been surprised into liking a James Cameron movie outside of the technical aspects.

I listened to the Avatar score album a few times last week (the extended version - the “bonus tracks” were wisely excised from the original program) and it’s one of those Horner scores that does really nothing for me.  There are a few nice moments in the last two battle tracks when the action gets cooking but the wondrous/love type themes are treacly and Titanic-lite.  I liked Goransson’s first BP score better, and I anticipate I’ll feel the same way about the sequels.

For box office, I won’t count Cameron out - especially, as Stu mentioned, worldwide.  But domestically I think this movie will be a Moment, for MCU people coasting off the goodwill of the first movie, people mourning Chadwick Boseman, as well as people of color who are culturally starving for big budget dumb, popcorn entertainment starring people who actually look like them - part of the recipe for success from the first installment.

Probably won’t see either of these movies in theaters for other reasons, but for me it’s a timing thing - as long as the bivalent COVID shot continues to show positive results in studies, we’re excited to get back into theaters for the first time since Birds of Prey, whenever the predicted winter/holiday wave levels out next spring.

I'm not interested in either movie and I'm passively interested in Franglen's work for Avatar.

Horner's score for the first falls into a weird category where there's nothing massively wrong with it but I don't find it very memorable on album, and most definitely don't need all couple of hours of it. It's the sort of score where I can take the album and the sessions and rearrange things into a 'good' 45 mins to an hour of music. Part of it is that sometimes Horner's melodramatic music is interesting to me (Life Before Her EyesHouse of Sand and Fog) and sometimes it really isn't, like in this case.

I still can't vote in the poll because questions 2 and 3 do not have an "not interested in one more than the other" option

For the score, I trust Göransson more than I do Franglen. His Oscar win in 2018 was truly deserved*. But I hope TWOW's score to surprise me. 

*Only because Powell wasn't nominated that year ;)

Did you not compete against each other for my dollars as they will both get multiple viewings. Of course I will see Avatar in 3D but I won't see Black Panther in 3D. I'm taking an optimistic view that both films will be satisfying entertainment.

As much as I love Horner’s AVATAR, I don’t have wildly high expectations for either score, nor am I all that hyped for either film though I expect I’ll probably make time to see both in the theater.

Avatar 2. But I never understood why the first one was such a success. Black Panther was a formulaic  bottom tier Marvel film that got nominated for best movie for the wrong reasons. I don't think Wokanda Forever will do that great

4 hours ago, King Mark said:

Avatar 2. But I never understood why the first one was such a success. Black Panther was a formulaic  bottom tier Marvel film that got nominated for best movie for the wrong reasons. I don't think Wokanda Forever will do that great

First one was a success only because of 3D.  I "fell" for it admittedly. Watched it at home later that year and was like "meh".

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

First one was a success only because of 3D.  I "fell" for it admittedly. Watched it at home later that year and was like "meh".

My experience was similar. Avatar was the first movie I saw in 3D, and I really liked it in theaters! But then, re-watching it at home, it was kinda like it lost much of its "magic".

Good Horner score though.

• 4 weeks later...

Presenting my favourite film critic to the non-German people here, who has started producing english versions of his infamous analyses. I know, he has a strong accent and his pronounciation isn't always correct, however, the content is what counts here: For over ten years now, he provides a deeper sociological and ideology-critical look into mainstream movies:

Sadly, in this video he confirms, what I had already expected from the sequel of the incredibly awful Black Panther movie.

• 4 weeks later...

It's interesting looking back at this thread now.

From the box office point of view, Avatar is clearly the winner, both domestically, internationally and globally. I wouldn't say Black Panther underperformed but it did the best it could with its conditions (lack of the main star of the previous movie, the fact that is starred by side characters from the first BP, no China and Russia, etc).

Now, from the quality point of view, I really liked both movies, they were great theatrical experiences. Both could be a little shorter though.

About the scores, I like the two of them equally, though Franglen's is clearly easier to listen.