95th Academy Awards (2023 ceremony for 2022 films)

Jay

I wouldn't be surprised if Top Gun gets a nomination, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.  I don't consider it a shoo-in by any means.  It's one thing when Academy voters can view a big blockbuster as having some vague sense of "social importance," but for Top Gun the only social importance it had was that it kept movie theaters from closing in 2022!  That might be enough, considering the industry.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Top Gun gets a nomination, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.  I don't consider it a shoo-in by any means.  It's one thing when Academy voters can view a big blockbuster as having some vague sense of "social importance," but for Top Gun the only social importance it had was that it kept movie theaters from closing in 2022!  That might be enough, considering the industry.

I don't even think that is the issue. I genuinely blame the studios a lot more. Very few studios put their money in blockbusters like T2, Titanic, LOTR anymore. Everyone is doing cape films over and over again. And all those films stuck to a formula. Dune got nominated but films like that are few and far between.

Top Gun: Maverick is genuinely a great blockbuster with a human heart and no capes. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/11/2022 at 4:28 PM, Disco Stu said:

TOP GUN MAVERICK will, probably, be nominated for a clutch of technical awards (sound; sound FX editing; editing; cinematography), but not for the big ones.

Having said that, who would have thought that, in 2004, a fantasy film (!) would win Best Picture?

I have several questions about that...

Number one, who decided (if at all) that a movie needs "social importance", whatever THAT means (assuming it doesn't mean what it apparently means), to get a nomination?

And secondly, a movie being such an attraction that it literally keeps theatres from closing seems like "social importance" to me. 

Unless social importance means importance in the Twitter universe, and not the real world.

Why do people always talk like there's some conspiracy afoot?  Individual people, including you reading this, have always liked stories that make them feel like they are good people.  The Academy is made up of thousands of individual people making their own choices and naturally movies that make them feel like good people tend to do well.  The group dynamics are interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

Oscars Shortlist for Original Score

• All Quiet on the Western Front - Volker Bertelmann
  • Avatar: The Way of Water - Simon Franglen
  • Babylon - Justin Hurwitz
  • The Banshees of Inisherin - Carter Burwell
  • Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - Ludwig Göransson
  • Devotion - Chanda Dancy
  • Don’t Worry Darling - John Powell
  • Everything Everywhere All at Once - Son Lux
  • The Fabelmans - John Williams
  • Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery - Nathan Johnson
  • Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio - Alexandre Desplat
  • Nope - Michael Abels
  • She Said - Nicholas Britell
  • The Woman King - Terence Blanchard
  • Women Talking - Hildur Guðnadóttir

Out of these, personally I would pick:

Black Panther, Fabelmans, Glass Onion, Pinocchio & Woman King.

And wonderful to see Powell & Abels in this list.

What I think the Academy will pick:

Avatar, Babylon, Banshees, Fabelmans & Pinocchio (or one of these for Women talking)

I've only listened to 2 of the scores on this list.

I've only seen 1 of the movies on this list.

Here's the rest of the shortlists announced today:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/oscars-shortlists-95th-academy-awards-unveiled-1235285262/

https://deadline.com/2022/12/oscar-shortlists-2023-categories-international-documentary-shorts-1235204412/

10 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Why isn't The Batman on here. That's ridiculous

The Academy Awards are all political.  It hasn't actually been about the best compositions for years now

10 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Which ones did you hear?

I've listened to the original score albums for The Fabelmans and Don't Worry Darling

Just now, Michael Grigorowitsch said:

What's political about not nominating The Batman?

I don't know if not nominating the batman is political but the oscars for music is mostly about the film and not the music. A movie that it a hit with critics will usually get nominated for music. Great scores for movies that don't align with the interests of the Oscar voters don't get nominated (usually) regardless of wether the music is great or not. Black Panther was an exception because the movie had a lot of buzz but otherwise superhero scores are not nominated.

These days it's mostly about scoring the right kinds of movies that decides if a score gets nominated or not.

(I was going to automatically add this to my last post lol)

12 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

A movie that it a hit with critics will usually get nominated for music.

Maybe not anymore since they updated the rules, aren't only professionals from the film music industry to select and vote for Best Scores nowadays?

Just now, Imperivm said:

aren't only professionals from the film music industry to select and vote for Best Scores nowadays?

"Fifteen scores will advance in the Original Score category for the 95th Academy Awards. One hundred forty-seven scores were eligible in the category. Members of the Music Branch vote to determine the shortlist and the nominees."

https://deadline.com/2022/12/oscar-shortlists-2023-categories-international-documentary-shorts-1235204412/

The music branch selected these 15 from 147 eligible scores; Then they will also select the final 5 from this list of 15

Then, any academy member can vote on the winner, including random actors and costume people who don't have a clue what the actual best score of the year was - this is why it's all political and also why its considered more prestigious to get nominated than it is to win

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

I see. I haven't seen the movie yet, so I have no idea how much original music is in there

28 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

These days it's mostly about scoring the right kinds of movies that decides if a score gets nominated or not.

(I was going to automatically add this to my last post lol)

It has always been a bit like that. Even classic scores like Elfman's Batman were not nominated (although the competition was far stronger back then)

5 minutes ago, Romão said:

It has always been a bit like that. Even classic scores like Elfman's Batman were not nominated (although the competition was far stronger back then)

But it feels like there has to be some kind of narrative today. People like Rezner and Ross often get nominated for some reason. I really like their Gone Girl score so I have nothing against them but they seem to get nominated most times when they score a movie.

Banshees is a score which I think is perfectly nice but doesn't really warrant a best of the score nomination. There's plenty of more interesting scores to choose from.

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

I haven't seen Don't Worry Darling, but it'd be great if Powell received another Oscar nomination.

It's a kooky movie, it's on HBO Max if you have that

There's 0% chance the score will be one of the final 5 nominees though

1 minute ago, Mr. Who said:

Banshees is a score which I think is perfectly nice but doesn't really warrant a best of the score nomination. There's plenty of more interesting scores to choose from.

Burwell's own "Catherine Called Birdy" score from this year is better than what I've heard of Banshees

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

The music branch selected these 15 from 147 eligible scores; Then they will also select the final 5 from this list of 15

Then, any academy member can vote on the winner, including random actors and costume people who don't have a clue what the actual best score of the year was - this is why it's all political and also why its considered more prestigious to get nominated than it is to win

I had missed the final detail, I misremembered that they would be the only ones voting as well. It's quite terrible honestly, to only do them this favour half of the way and not make it until the end. Thanks for clearing it up!

Well, that's how it's always worked in the past - if they changed that final step for this year, I missed that news

11 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

I know what you mean, that's why I thought Tár was an absolute shoe in for a nomination, it had all the ingredients for an award narrative, regardless of the quality of the music itself. But alas, it there wasn't enough of it to be eligible 

12 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

But it feels like there has to be some kind of narrative today. People like Rezner and Ross often get nominated for some reason. I really like their Gone Girl score so I have nothing against them but they seem to get nominated most times when they score a movie.

38 minutes ago, Jay said:

From what I have read, it is like only 5-10 minutes worth

She wrote a bunch of music for Tár that's on the DG concept album for the film, but none of it really made it into the film.

In the movie itself (which is quite good), during the driving scenes, there is one drone-y track that is mixed so low in the sub that it's essentially inaudible. It definitely doesn't make sense nominating it, given the film is essentially driven by the Elgar and Mahler.

1 minute ago, KK said:

She wrote a bunch of music for Tár that's on the DG concept album for the film, but none of it really made it into the film.

I know

I compiled a YouTube playlist with one cue from each of the scores in the shortlits, in case anyone wants to hear how each of them sound

I'm not familiar with some of them, so I just put the track that seems to be the main theme, or that better represents the score, but if there's other more fitting track feel free to share!

Personally, my favorites of the list are Avatar, Black Panther, Don't Worry Darling, The Fabelmans and The Woman King, but I also liked parts of Burwell's Inisherin and Abels' Nope. The final list will probably have Desplat and Burwell, and perhaps Hildur Guðnadóttir. The only score I think should be on the shortlist is The Batman, as I think it was such a great score, and I was hoping that perhaps The Northamn would manage to get at least shortlisted, but it didn't happen...