95th Academy Awards (2023 ceremony for 2022 films)

Jay

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's not weird.  Every country has always been different from one another with these things

They want you to subscribe to Showtime.

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

We want to see Yellowjackets though, so maybe we'll subscribe when Season 2 of that comes out

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

Top Gun: Maverick being nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay now means that the screenwriter of Transformers 2 has an Oscar nom  :flush:

Why it's adapted? It was a book originally?

Supporting actor / actress has always baffled me. So Michelle Williams who is definitely a supporting character in Fabelmans gets a best actress nod. But then you have The Banshees of Inisherin with (I'm assuming?) two leads. But they're nominated in two categories. Or is Gleason really playing a supporting role? I haven't seen it.

Yeah it's difficult.

Williams should've been in Supporting so that Viola Davis was in Leading.

And Gleeson does have less screentime than Farrell. And his character is in support of what Farrell's character is going through. But I think they put him in supporting to not undermine Farrell's chances at winning

20 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Supporting actor / actress has always baffled me. So Michelle Williams who is definitely a supporting character in Fabelmans gets a best actress nod. But then you have The Banshees of Inisherin with (I'm assuming?) two leads. But they're nominated in two categories. Or is Gleason really playing a supporting role? I haven't seen it.

My understanding is that it’s not the Academy’s doing, but rather a matter of what the studio puts forward for consideration. It’s likely that they thought Michelle Williams’ performance was strong enough to campaign for her in the top category. It’s not unheard of, Anthony Hopkins was only in Silence of the Lambs for like 12 minutes and he won Best Actor. A studio wouldn’t do it for just anyone though.

EDIT @mstrox beat me to it

6 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

Anthony Hopkins was only in Silence of the Lambs for like 12 minutes and he won Best Actor.

Yeah, that was one of my go-tos for a long time.

I think people have been nominated for shorter appearances, right?  Or maybe I'm thinking of the Emmys

What frustrates me about this is when studios/companies don't have the confidence in their actors and put them forward for supporting roles even when they're clearly co-leads. I'm looking at you AMC, Rhea Seehorn is 50% of Better Call Saul and you'll never convince me otherwise. Mind you she's only just been nominated for the Emmys for the first time, so maybe they wanted to "secure" her nomination.

31 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Similarly, William Hurt in A History of Violence.

Yeah I remember that.  He didn't win though.

I only found a list of winners, I'd love to see all nominees too.

Oscar-winning actors with less than 20 minutes screentime:
Beatrice Straight – 5mins, 40 seconds (Network - 1976)
Gloria Grahame – 9mins, 32 seconds – (The Bad and the Beautiful - 1952)
Anthony Quinn – 8mins (Lust for Life - 1956)
Judi Dench – 8mins (Shakespeare in Love - 1998)
Ingrid Bergman – 14mins, 18 seconds (Murder on the Orient Express - 1974)
Alan Arkin – 14mins (Little Miss Sunshine - 2006)
Penelope Cruz – 15mins (Vicky Christina Barcelona - 2008)
Kim Basinger -15mins (L.A. Confidential - 1997)
Anne Hathaway – 15mins (Les Miserables - 2012)
David Niven – 15mins, 38 seconds (Separate Tables - 1958)
Anthony Hopkins – 16mins (The Silence of the Lambs - 1991)

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/actors-oscar-less-than-20-minutes-screentime/

12 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Ruben Ostlund got a Best Director nom lol, there's always a weird one

Geez, they really liked Triangle of Sadness, a movie I only heard bad things about.  It got a Best Picture nom too.

A movie that has a poster with a woman vomiting gold

image.jpeg

Well it did win the Palm d’Or!

As much as I love watching Beatrice Straight, in NETWORK - and it's a very good performance - how Jodie Foster didn't win, that year, is quite beyond me.

It doesn't matter how long Farrell is on screen for, Brendan Fraser will win Best Actor.

For anyone interested in the unusual tactics used to get Andrea Riseborough her nomination, I recommend listening to this podcast on the subject.

Expect to see more of this in years to come.  The Academy acting branch is younger now, very online, and loves celebrity Instagram :P 

https://www.theringer.com/2023/1/24/23570306/how-the-shocking-andrea-riseborough-oscar-nomination-happened

Can anyone recommend a good article to read that explains it succinctly?  When I tried to google it the other day all the ones that seemed to do so were behind paywalls

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Can anyone recommend a good article to read that explains it succinctly?  When I tried to google it the other day all the ones that seemed to do so were behind paywalls

Just one of many

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/andrea-riseborough-oscars-best-actress-campaign-explained-b2268681.html

I don’t see anything on its face wrong with that - it’s the same thing that happens on Not Social Media at screenings, parties, etc.  It’s no more underhanded than paying for advertising, etc.  You’ll note that each of these articles and the podcast mention that critics and folks who had seen it thought it was a very good performance.

(the racial, gender, demographic stuff mentioned in the linked article is a separate issue that is not unique to this case and applies to traditionally campaigned movies as well).

True, it's not really problem in that sense.

But what is a problem is that there are 2 black actresses who have been nominated for all the different awards throughout the season, who have done phenomenal work in their films and in the way leading up to the awards being suddenly shut out of the biggest award of the season. And if then you look at how Riseborough suddenly out of nowhere got in (in less than 2 weeks), with the support of a lot of white actors/actresses, people are raising the question about if those people would do the same for an actress of color.

And it's yet another case of another year where none of the lead actor nominees are people of color (with only Michelle Yeoh) at the academy, even though there was plenty to choose from (like many other awards have done).

The racial aspect is not interesting to me at all, a narrative created by people who look for reasons to outraged about something, anything, as usual.  I just found it interesting that they ran this campaign tactically in a way that hadn't been done before, coordinating all these famous connections via social media.  I don't think it's unfair or outrageous, but it will be very influential I think.

Clearly, this slate of best pic noms is a signal that Hollywood wants to drag the Oscar ratings & buzz out of the ditch they've been in. Good. It's time for films like Braveheart, Titanic, Gladiator & Return of the King to start dominating awards season & winning across the board again.

Dreary, depressing dreck like Nomadland has its place, but if Hollywood truly wants to get people back in the cinema and excited about movies again, promoting and rewarding the films that actually do that is a good place to start.

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Will Spielberg kick Colin Farrell in the balls? 

"That's for your crappy American accent, in MINORITY REPORT!".

Will Ana De Armas and Cate Blanchett jelly-wrestle? (We should be so lucky, lol).

I'd buy that for a dollar! :lol:

Will Paul Mescal give Tom Cruise a wedgie?

Is that all he'll be giving him? :)

8 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Clearly, this slate of best pic noms is a signal that Hollywood want to drag the Oscar ratings & buzz out of the ditch they've been in. Good. It's time for films like Braveheart, Titanic, Gladiator & Return of the King to start dominating awards season & winning across the board again.

I'd agree if Top Gun and Avatar were anything but token nominees.  Neither are in the running for the actual win.

I have seen the films. Riseborough’s performance is superior to the actresses she supposedly beat out. I don’t think the argument should be that black actresses should automatically be nominated because we need diversity, but rather black actresses shouldn’t be ignored when their work is just as good if not better than white actresses, which is often the case. As I said, Riseborough gave the superior performance. There is nothing wrong with her using the means available to her to get her work out there.

If anything, be mad that that giant piece of shit Blonde getting an actress nomination. I swear, playing Marilyn Monroe is a cheat code to getting an acting nod no matter how bad the movie or unremarkable the performance. Really laughable. 

I was thinking the same thing as I was watching the nominees announced live, and then bam

Maybe Wendell and Wild could have taken its spot, I dunno

9 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

But what is a problem is that there are 2 black actresses who have been nominated for all the different awards throughout the season, who have done phenomenal work in their films and in the way leading up to the awards being suddenly shut out of the biggest award of the season. And if then you look at how Riseborough suddenly out of nowhere got in (in less than 2 weeks), with the support of a lot of white actors/actresses, people are raising the question about if those people would do the same for an actress of color.

And it's yet another case of another year where none of the lead actor nominees are people of color (with only Michelle Yeoh) at the academy, even though there was plenty to choose from (like many other awards have done).

It's supposed to be the Annual Academy Awards not the Annual Woke Awards.  The Oscars used to be the most fun night of the year on TV, now it's a 3 hour polarizing lecture about race, gender and sexual orientation.

After the disastrous and humourless Golden Globes , maybe this years' nominees (Top Gun, Avatar...) indicate they want to turn that aspect of it down a notch.

9 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

I don’t think the argument should be that black actresses should automatically be nominated because we need diversity, but rather black actresses shouldn’t be ignored when their work is just as good if not better than white actresses, which is often the case.

Exactly