95th Academy Awards (2023 ceremony for 2022 films)

Jay

23 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The problem I see is multiple generations brought up on the mentality that victimhood, or at least perceived victimhood, is how to define moral worth.  I see huge groups of people searching out whatever marginalized status they can lay claim to and feel that sweet sweet dopamine of moral superiority.  And then keep chasing the high of rooting out wrongthink and bigotry, addicted to meting out justice and self-valorization. To be clear, this mindset is just as insidious on the right as it is on the left.   It actively distracts from the truth and is based in hate and pride just as much as the bigotry they think they fight against. 

The assertion that people choose en masse to identify however they may because it's morally advantageous to them or because it fulfills some self-righteous image is frankly disgusting. That's a woefully armchair assessment disguised as a genuine attempt to get a finger on the pulse of the here and now. On an individual level, the identity age isn't some malicious smokescreen with an ulterior motive for a disproportionate or overcorrective response, however fragile your definition of that might be. Casting the persecution complex net over the reactions of marginalized communities and their allies to long and very real histories of victimhood is in itself a reinforcement of those injustices. I think you know better.

Also, actual victims still exist. Like, I listed two recent scenarios in my last post that way too easily gave birth to some of them, and yet no acknowledgement because then that would be admitting this whole victimhood point doesn't fully have legs on account of how much the world beats down on some people. Some may see ill-founded resentment, but I see those too beaten down to ever fully trust anyone again.

The confused emote I got on that then sure perplexes me, because if that person thinks I like making myself unnecessarily miserable in discussing these subjects, then is that supposed to imply that because misery is everywhere that I should thus put up with it? Real encouraging first step towards putting centuries of systemic abuse behind us.

20 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It’s the backbone of the modern liberal worldview: absolutely nothing about you is more important than the color of your skin, and we must focus on each others’ to the point of mania

Nobody said this ever. Acknowledging race and gender as factors to success openly on the other hand, is long overdue. 

2 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

The assertion that people choose en masse to identify however they may because it's morally advantageous to them or because it fulfills some self-righteous image is frankly disgusting. That's a woefully armchair assessment disguised as a genuine attempt to get a finger on the pulse of the here and now. On an individual level, the identity age isn't some malicious smokescreen with an ulterior motive for a disproportionate or overcorrective response, however fragile your definition of that might be. Casting the persecution complex net over the reactions of marginalized communities and their allies to long and very real histories of victimhood is in itself a reinforcement of those injustices. I think you know better.

Your naive self-righteousness and moral smugness are all too common and indicative that this is unproductive.  We are all of us fallen.  Peace!

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Your naive self-righteousness and moral smugness are all too common and indicative that this is unproductive.  We are all of us fallen.  Peace!

So you literally go for an ad hominem attack instead of actually addressing anything that he has said. The conversation is only unproductive because one party refuses to entertain anything the other says, and I don't think it's TIJ who's guilty of that. If you don't want these this discussions to keep being a thing, tell us why our concerns are unfounded, because these replies have become more and more substance-less by the post, and I will be on the absolute defense if anyone implies this was mine or my companion's doing.

Why must you be so absolutely certain that the focus can only be on the self-righteousness in the these matters that affect much more people than we'll ever physically see in our lifetimes? I would argue it's far more liberal to be someone so stuck up that they insist anyone wanting to change the status quo is inherently a problem (a tactic your beloved wizard author seems to admire in her writing).

On 28/01/2023 at 11:57 AM, Disco Stu said:

Speaking of straw men, I see you’re creating them with ease.

The problem I see is multiple generations brought up on the mentality that victimhood, or at least perceived victimhood, is how to define moral worth.  I see huge groups of people searching out whatever marginalized status they can lay claim to and feel that sweet sweet dopamine of moral superiority.  And then keep chasing the high of rooting out wrongthink and bigotry, addicted to meting out justice and self-valorization, which of course requires constant maintenance of and renewal of their marginalized status. To be clear, this mindset is just as insidious on the right as it is on the left.   It actively distracts from the truth and is based in hate and pride just as much as the bigotry they think they fight against. 

That's basically what I've been trying to say but I can't write posts as well as you do . 

22 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Nowadays it's  "You either agree with me or your a insert word (ignorant, bigot, racist, -phobe ... )"

On 27/01/2023 at 9:49 PM, HunterTech said:

This will absolutely be what gets me warned, but I kind of don't care. I'm just as likely to leave as you are if I don't get banned, so make of that what you will.

I appreciate that you actually take the time to read people's posts and try to understand what they mean even if you don't agree.

There's really not much to discuss after the initial reactions to the nominations and before it's closer to the ceremony.  I get that they want to give voters a chance to see the nominated movies/performances they've missed, but nearly 7 weeks between noms and ceremony is a bit much.

I will say that some of the recent Best Picture winners did do pretty decent business internationally.  Green Book made more than $300 million worldwide!

Worldwide BO on the far right, American BO to the left of that

29D39150-E659-431D-8EFB-357670FB1BD9.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/02/2023 at 5:43 PM, Nick1Ø66 said:

Fn62xTUXgAMsycJ?format=jpg&name=medium

I think that depends of what one calls a "box office hit". Is it a movie that grossed, say, over $400m worldwide, regardless of its budget? Or is it a movie that may not have grossed much in comparison with the big blockbusters, but it was quite profitable due to its small budget?

For example, Green Book grossed $320m worldwide, which may be well below your average Marvel superhero extravaganza, but it was almost 14 times its production cost ($23m). On the other hand, Justice League grossed $656m worldwide and that was disaster because it was so expensive to produce.

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

I think that depends of what one calls a "box office hit". Is it a movie that grossed, say, over $400m worldwide, regardless of its budget? Or is it a movie that may not have grossed much in comparison with the big blockbusters, but it was quite profitable due to its small budget?

For example, Green Book grossed $320m worldwide, which may be well below your average Marvel superhero extravaganza, but it was almost 14 times its production cost ($23m). On the other hand, Justice League grossed $656m worldwide and that was disaster because it was so expensive to produce.

Well in this case I think the issue is popularity, and how dominant the film was in the cultural zeitgeist of the moment.

A movie like Titanic is going to get people more excited for the Oscars, and cinema in general, as opposed to say Nomadland, no matter its relative profitability, which is something Hollywood, not audiences, care about.

BAFTA Awards 2023

Best Adapted Screenplay - Edward Berger, Lesley Paterson and Ian Stokell

- All Quiet On The Western Front

Best Actress in a Supporting Role - Kerry Condon - The Banshees Of Inisherin

Best Actor in a Supporting Role - Barry KeoghanThe Banshees Of Inisherin

Best Cinematography - James FriendAll Quiet On The Western Front

Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer - Charlotte Wells - Aftersun

Best Animated Film - Pinocchio - Guillermo del Toro, Mark Gustafson, Gary Ungar and Alex Bulkley

Best Original ScreenplayMartin McDonagh The Banshees Of Inisherin

Best Special Visual Effects - Richard Baneham, Daniel Barrett, Joe Letteri and Eric Saindon Avatar: The Way Of Water

Bafta Fellowship - Sandy Powell

Outstanding British Film - The Banshees Of InisherinMartin McDonagh, Graham Broadbent and Pete Czernin

Best Director - Edward Berger - All Quiet On The Western Front

Best Documentary - NavalnyDaniel Roher, Diane Becker, Shane Boris, Melanie Miller and Odessa Rae

Best Film Not In The English Language - All Quiet On The Western FrontEdward Berger and Malte Grunert

Best Costume Design - Catherine Martin - Elvis

Best Editing - Everything Everywhere All At Once – Paul Rogers

Best Production Design - Florencia Martin and Anthony Carlino - Babylon

Best Sound - All Quiet On The Western Front – Lars Ginzsel, Frank Kruse, Viktor Prášil and Markus Stemler

Best Original Score - Volker Bertelmann - All Quiet On The Western Front

Best Actor in a Leading Role - Austin Butler - Elvis

Best Actress in a Leading Role - Cate BlanchettTár

Best Film - All Quiet On The Western FrontMalte Grunert

Over the last five years, the only year where the BAFTA winner and the Oscar winner weren't the same was in 2018, when A Star is Born won the BAFTA and Black Panther the Oscar. So I'd say AQotWF's chances increased substantially.

I think it's the clear frontrunner, given that Babylon as a movie was so controversial and The Fabelmans... well, Oscar voters may think JW already have enough awards.

On 13/02/2023 at 7:29 PM, Alex said:

I don’t think JW is in this, but if someone can find him, then great.

I love checking out those "class photos" from the nominee luncheon every year and I have never seen him in one, so I don't think he goes. 

Just wanna add that while I don't think Williams ever attends the official Oscar luncheon, he always shows up at the Society of Composers & Lyricists party for the music nominees. So he definitely plays favorites.

I hope we're all aware of this evidence that John Williams has hung out with Three Six Mafia

oscar_1488.jpg

Black fellas are the hip-hop group Three Six Mafia who won the Original Song Oscar that year for "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" from Hustle & Flow

The three ladies are BMI personnel

Guy third from left is Gustavo Santaolalla who won the Original Score Oscar that year for Brokeback Mountain

Far left is John Williams who was nominated for Munich and Memoirs of a Geisha

4 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Guy third from left is Gustavo Santaolalla who won the Original Score Oscar that year for Brokeback Mountain

Having a second name consisting of the spanish word "santa" and the french expression "Oh là là!" is really cool.

You must become famous with it.

6 minutes ago, AC1 said:

So All Quiet On The Western Front is the big winner at the BAFTA's? Still haven't seen it even though my son recommended it to me.

You have a son who was old enough to be able to see this?

Wow...

I always think that most people in this forum are people like me, in their early forties without any kids...:P

1 minute ago, filmmusic said:

I always think that most people in this forum are people like me, in their early forties without any kids...

Well, yeah, I'm one of the oldest people here, but an internet test told me that, mentally, I'm still in my thirties, so in a way, it's you guys that are old!

13 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

If that is the case, I would be very happy. It would be wonderful for him to win for an Indy film. He should've won for one of the first 3.

The only thing that gives me pause is that Williams is always a little more likely to get snubbed when it's a summer release (see: Crystal Skull and The BFG). So I think it'll have to be a particularly memorable movie and/or score, but "Helena's Theme" already is being promoted so much that it could feel like more of a given to nominate the score by next year.

13 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

And I do think Williams, when nominated, always attends the ceremony

I've watched so many score winner clips on YouTube and I don't think I've ever seen him absent. They always show a picture for someone who isn't there, I wonder what they would use for him.

I guess probably this

John_Williams_web.jpg

But I'd hope for this

john-williams-1-1381829993-view-1.jpg

Jamie Lee Curtis and Michelle Yeoh won SAG. First Oscar race in ages that there hasn't been a sweep in any acting category. Even Ke Huy Quan lost BAFTA, though he still feels like a shoo-in.

But Everything Everywhere All At Once winning PGA, DGA, and SAG Ensemble makes it a pretty undeniable Pic winner. 

4 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Jamie Lee Curtis and Michelle Yeoh won SAG. First Oscar race in ages that there hasn't been a sweep in any acting category. Even Ke Huy Quan lost BAFTA, though he still feels like a shoo-in.

But Everything Everywhere All At Once winning PGA, DGA, and SAG Ensemble makes it a pretty undeniable Pic winner. 

UGGHH