95th Academy Awards (2023 ceremony for 2022 films)

Jay

47 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

My experience has been completely different for both of those films. I found them both enthralling from the first viewing and have seen each of them about seven times now. (For fun, not homework!)

“Fun” is definitely not a word I’d use to describe Tár. 😂

If you're watching any movie seven times in five months and you're not a complete idiot, you're definitely doing some kind of mental homework! I'm not saying that's not fun but you probably gotta be that enthralled with something to begin with. 

Roger Deakins thinks the best cinematography of last year were The Batman and Top Gun: Maverick, which weren't nominated due to the Academy's snobbishness:

https://deadline.com/2023/03/roger-deakins-oscars-best-cinematography-not-nominated-breaking-baz-1235286295/

I agree with him that Greig Fraser's cinematography for The Batman should've been among the contenders, but then again the same guy won last year for Dune.

15 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

As infused as it was with slit your wrists nihilism, if I didn’t know otherwise I’d swear Tár was an Aronofsky flick. 

Even though I know what you mean, I didn't feel depressed or suicidal after watching Tár. Indeed, with Aronofsky, I often feel the director's pressure to think or feel in a certain way but that wasn't the case with Todd Field. Maybe I missed something but I didn't feel like I was being emotionally manipulated, which I thought was a good thing. 

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Well, The Batman is an audio-visual marvel (no pun intended).

What's good about the sound of THE BATMAN, @crocodile?

I haven't seen it, but I want to, and I have a detailed 5.1 system.

What "caught your eye", sound wise?

7 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

agreed it looked bad. The car chase for the life of me I couldn’t make out what was going on. Terribly shot.

When Bats victoriously catapulted his car out of the sea of flames, that's where I switched it off. There's only so much clichés a man can handle. 

I agree about the car chase - unusualy I saw the film on a big cinema screen, and while it was an exciting sequence, had a hard time understanding where everything/one was.

Might be more of an editing fault though - isn't the cinematographer more responsible for lighting/movement, etc, and the editor more concerned with cutting and the 'flow' of sequences?

My prediction for tonight, with EEAAO according to the BBC rivalling RotK for # nominations, is that AQOTWF will win for music as a token award, and it being about war, and a foreign composer.

5 hours ago, AC1 said:

Even though I know what you mean, I didn't feel depressed or suicidal after watching Tár. Indeed, with Aronofsky, I often feel the director's pressure to think or feel in a certain way but that wasn't the case with Todd Field. Maybe I missed something but I didn't feel like was being emotionally manipulated, which I thought was a good thing. 

I agree, and I felt that Cate Blanchett's description of the film as a Rorschach test was extremely apt. It's very much a "show don't tell" film.

4 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Might be more of an editing fault though - isn't the cinematographer more responsible for lighting/movement, etc, and the editor more concerned with cutting and the 'flow' of sequences?

Both cinematography and editing are vital parts of the storytelling process. 

Yes, but specifically the issue of confusing placement and movement of characters seems to me more of an editing problem than the DP.

I think if you literally couldn't see what was going on due to lighting, or the camera movements made it impossible to keep track of anything that's the DP's problem. I this case, probably a mixture of both - the editor can only work with what the DP gives them.

11 hours ago, AC1 said:

PS: I haven't seen it but All Quiet On The Western Front will win everything. Needless to say why. 

Won't win :

All Quiet: Cast doesn't tick any diversity checkboxes.

Fablemans :Same reason.

Top Gun:  Has a macho male lead(toxic masculinity).

Avatar: Was accused of racism,cultural appropriation.

Probably will win:

Everything Everywhere (asian cast)

Tar ( 3 words: woman lesbian conductor)

Women Talking (feminism,#MeToo)

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Yes, but specifically the issue of confusing placement and movement of characters seems to me more of an editing problem than the DP.

I think if you literally couldn't see what was going on due to lighting, or the camera movements made it impossible to keep track of anything that's the DP's problem. I this case, probably a mixture of both - the editor can only work with what the DP gives them.

it was both shaky cam, bad lighting, and editing. Like I say in the cinema starting at the screen for that entire 5 minute sequence wondering when on earth it would stop. 

it was comparable to Quantum of solace opening car chase in How terrible it was.

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

Won't win :

Probably will win:

Tar ( woman lesbian conductor...)

What a truly sad state of affairs.

40 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

It was comparable to Quantum of Solace opening car chase in how terrible it was.

Agreed. There are shots in that opening sequence that last for four frames.

I have, however, rewatched it, over the years, since 2008, and I have come to a deeper appreciation of both this sequence, and the film, as a whole.

I have an appointment tomorrow at 11:00, which is doable with a waking night, so I was actually ready to watch the Oscars live for once this evening and night. Alas, it turns out my brother has no more Disney+ screens to share, so I'll be tuning in for the results tomorrow.

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

Won't win :

Probably will win:

Tar ( woman lesbian conductor...)

There are things happening right now that more important than 'diversity' and Hollywood knows it!

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What's good about the sound of THE BATMAN, @crocodile?

I haven't seen it, but I want to, and I have a detailed 5.1 system.

What "caught your eye", sound wise?

Hearing the Batmobile turn on in theaters was an incredible sound. 

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Hey....Disney+ access secured after all (through my brother)! Now it's just a matter of being able to stay up.

May I ask. How are you watching it on Disney+. Is that something specifically made available in your country

Where I live I can watch the Oscars with an over the air antennae for free. But I haven't had it connected since we rearranged the living room, so I gotta figure that out in the next 4 hours or so 

I found it's on Prime just now, so I've popped it on in the background. My usual litmus test - 30 mins from now I'll either have devoted all attention to it, or will be wondering what on earth's going on.

12 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

30 mins from now I'll either have devoted all attention to it, or will be wondering what on earth's going on.

That happened to me the first time that I saw BRAZIL, but I stayed with it. Turns out, it is one of the most amazing films that I have ever seen.

Let's hope that you like EEAAO.

So do Spielberg and Williams have chances tonight?

I didn't believe it few month ago, but it seems all the "fresh" (and often non-all-white casting movies YEAH!!!, hey I Found Everything everywhere, all at ounce completely crazy and entertaining! WHOHOOOO) movies already won in all the other awards. 

Will the Oscars give two prizes to the two last old Hollywood true friends, Spielberg and Williams, even if they.... wear beards?

Just under an hour to go (this movie is too long), and one thing I will acknowledge - the score is way more original and inventive than any of the other nominees. It's one case where it sounds totally bizarre on album, but total sense when you see it in action.

Ugh I thought it started at 9 not 8 and now I'm scrambling to figure out how to get my antennae working again

Stupid daylight savings time 

Phe got it working 

Woah Jimmy Kimmel's eye makeup is crazy 

Oh man that's awesome JK worked JW into the moboligue! 

Johnny's looking great 

The audience is responding well to Jimmy's monologue. Colin Farrel shoving Brendan Gleeson, and Judd Hirsh pretending to take off his Mission Impossible mask 

After the dreary Golden Globes this year I'm glad Kimmel's monologue is actually funny. Better opening than the last few years