95th Academy Awards (2023 ceremony for 2022 films)

Jay

7 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Rick and Morty has never had that level of sensitivity towards any of its characters! (Nor should it, as a comedy cartoon

It has it in an "ironic millennial humor" way, like with Bojack Horseman.  Like Pickle Rick is actually about Rick's narcissistic qualities and how he distances himself from him loved ones, using multiple layers of irony as a shield.  It's terribly pretentious.  

19 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I just looked it up. You are right. Goldsmith won less that 6%.

Thomas Newman has so far been nominated 15 times, without winning. Even if he wins the next time he’s nominated, he won’t be doing much better than Goldsmith percentage-wise (and much worse than Williams’s almost 10%).

Yavar

3 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Thomas Newman has so far been nominated 15 times, without winning. Even if he wins the next time he’s nominated, he won’t be doing much better than Goldsmith percentage-wise (and much worse than Williams’s almost 10%).

Yavar

Newman and JNH have both been nominated so many times without winning. 5ey really deserve it. I hoped JNH would win for A Hidden Life but source music usage prevented him from even getting a nomination…

9 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

Newman and JNH have both been nominated so many times without winning. 5ey really deserve it. I hoped JNH would win for A Hidden Life but source music usage prevented him from even getting a nomination…

Joker was an unstoppable force that year for some reason (the themes of the film must have really resonated with the academy voters)

24 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Does anyone know the viewing figures, for this year's Oscars ceremony?

Just Googled it. Nothing yet. 

Wonder if a drunk Will Smith watched it alone in his underwear, crying and shouting 'Y'all are goddamm motherfuckers!' at his TV whilst Jada was out with a 'special friend'.  

40 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

Interesting. I always thought, JNH won for Michael Clayton. But obviously he lost against Marianelli that year, which was deserved.

5 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Newman's loss for American Beauty was astounding, and he's done a handful of other scores which hands down are oscar material as much as the most classic JW score.

Though at least in that case the score that beat it was good (The Red Violin)

4 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

My assessment of whether each winner was the best of its year would be something like:

• 2007: No Country for Old Men - no

There Will Be Blood might be a superior movie, but No Country for Old Man is still, in my view, the greatest Best Picture Winner of the 21st Century. As There Will Be Blood would be, had it won. What a pair of front runner films

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Sounds like something that Joan Rivers would have said.  

1 hour ago, Romão said:

There Will Be Blood might be a superior movie, but No Country for Old Man is still, in my view, the greatest Best Picture Winner of the 21st Century.

I agree that it's among the best of the bunch - certainly in the top three. I think There Will Be Blood is in a different league altogether.

12 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

I agree that it's among the best of the bunch - certainly in the top three. I think There Will Be Blood is in a different league altogether.

I also think There Will be Blood is the superior work. But any of the two would be the greatest best picture winner of the century

3 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

One positive thing I will say about this year is that the lot of nominated films is the best and most varied in a while.  A good mix of blockbusters and more traditional type Oscar films

Which makes it even worse that only two films really won anything 

If they hadn't the "no hope in hell" extra five slots there is no chance of Top Gun getting nominated. But then, that's what the extra five are for.

I haven't seen There Will be Blood. I should fix that. (I did see No Country and wow.)

5 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Funny how, if the Academy really was “woke” (in the real or even pejorative sense), one might think they’d have awarded Son Lux for Best Score over the white German dude (who wrote one of the worst scores of the year), or heck maybe awarded one of the three (quite deserving) women of color for Best Supporting Actress, over Jamie Lee Curtis. They could have even still awarded EEAAO, since her costar Stephanie Hsu was also nominated with her! I mean, if Hollywood really is just bestowing awards to get “woke” points and feel good about themselves, how do we explain those decisions?

Kinda messes with the narrative of King Mark and others like him, huh?

Yavar

I thought Jay said to stop talking about this?

Koray probably missed it when gathering all of those quotes.

I feel like KM has gotten so close to understanding my point many posts ago with the whole "they have never given awards to the movies I enjoy" thing, yet it's easy to get the impression that he didn't have a scapegoat in the past if he was more direct in criticizing the Academy themselves for the wins that he perceives as appealing more to the "Oscar bait" sensibilities (which I would argue still is what wins most of the time).

6 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

This morning I thought, with a quota of less than 10% of wins from his nominations Williams might have one of the worst quotas of all oscar winners ever. Could that be?

Average quota should be 20% (one out of five nominees wins).

Less than 10% is really... bad luck?

Related to this, I was wondering if John Williams might actually hold the record for most consecutive nominations without a win.

The all-time losing record was sound mixer Kevin O'Connell who lost 20 times before his first win with his 21st nomination. Williams is now at 22 so he actually lapped O'Connell with Rise of Skywalker.

But I don't know if there's another previous winner who then went on to lose that many times in a row. By comparison Meryl Streep's longest losing streak was 12. But incidentally, she also went 29 years between wins and it's now been 29 years for Williams too.

I think Rosamund Pike is the only other one who's been nominated in Lead? So Die Another Day is 2/2 with nominees!

And then for non-EON Deborah Kerr was nominated several times but never won

Naomie Harris is a Supporting Actress nominee. I could see Eva Green, Lea Seydoux, or Lashana Lynch getting Oscar nominations at some point. 

57 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

-Harrison Ford hugging Ke Huy Quan at the end

-Temple of Doom being mentioned during Ke Huy Quan's walk up to the stage.

- Temple of Doom is actually an Academy Award winning movie 

- Indy 5 coming out in June.

THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A BETTER TIME TO COMPLETELY EXPAND AND RELEASE TEMPLE OF DOOM (AND THE OTHER THREE FILMS) DISNEY!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think all the awards for Ke Huy Quan and the success of his movie accomplished something great: to remind people of how great Temple of Doom is, after years of being "the least well-loved Indy movie" (aside from 4, of course).

8 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Some updates on this, but ratings are up from last year. I assume people were expecting another Slap, though?

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheWrap/status/1635396633620889601

For anybody who missed it, timestamp for Kimmel's John Williams jokes

Also I missed the joke at the end about all the people part of the Oscar "crisis team" if somebody tries to storm the stage, including Spider-Man and "Fabel-Man" lol. Spielberg's face at 12:30 is priceless. 

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I’m simply pointing out that “woke culture” is all KM talks about on this message board in recent years. Not specifically about the Oscars, but in regards to all media. 

Well it's ruining my video games and movies, so someone's got to speak out against it. And I'm sure a fair portion of the people here agree with me.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

For anybody who missed it, timestamp for Kimmel's John Williams jokes

As a non-American, I always confuse Jimmy Kimmel with Jimmy Fallon. To me, they're all the same guy: a comedian who interviews people and whose jokes aren't fun for the most part.

I have too many numerous examples of it and a new one comes up pretty much every day. But if I start naming them I'll be asked to stop by the mods.

I feel I belong in the "geeks and gamers culture", and that "woke culture" is the antithesis of that. 

12 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I feel I belong in the "geeks and gamers culture", and that "woke culture" is the antithesis of that. 

I think that’s a very, VERY narrow subset of “geeks and gamers” you are familiar with, because otherwise that’s a bizarre non sequitur.

Yavar