THE ACOLYTE - 2024 Star Wars TV

Jay

5 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Anakin was a virgin birth. Not an immaculate conception. He was not conceived without original sin.

A common misnomer which I'm guilty of perpetuating. lol

But yeah, that's what I meant. A virgin birth.

But to the point, yes, I think that Anakin being essentially fathered by the Force is an important aspect.

25 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

And the Jedi didn't know about his circumstances (or seem very interested in it). Why would they know about these witches?

Dunno. I'm just talking about the fans and how this other virgin birth has perhaps altered their perception of events.

8 minutes ago, Brock Lovett said:

So where did Rey come from and why is she related to Palpatine? And why is she a Skywalker?

Palpatine was trying to make a force sensitive clone of himself, failed, his clone had Rey.

Rey claimed the family of Skywalker because the Palpatine family is shit.

9 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Well, some fans are upset because 'The Acolyte' presents a witch who created life through the Force...and thus rendered Darth Plagueis' attempts, well, kinda unimportant...and Anakin's immaculate conception virgin birth—which was thought to be unique—not so special anymore.

Australian Cinema, maybe. Ozploitation films of the 80s are another matter.   

5 minutes ago, Andy said:

Australian Cinema

Besides the Mad Max movies and Gallipoli, what else have I seen (and without Mel Gibson in it)? Somebody refresh my memory.

32 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Besides the Mad Max movies and Gallipoli, what else have I seen (and without Mel Gibson in it)? Somebody refresh my memory.

Anything from Baz Luhrmann?

I mean, he literally named one of his movies after the country lol

Australia (2008) - IMDb

18 minutes ago, Andy said:

Turkey Shoot

The Quest

Road Games

Dead End Drive-In

Nope. But thanks for playing (and for the recommendations)! :)

17 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Anything from Baz Luhrmann?

In the ones I've seen, Romeo + Juliet hasn't aged well IMO, The Great Gatsby was fine when I saw it in the theatres, and Elvis I quite like after 3 viewings (being something of an Elvis fan).

Whenever Kelnacca grunts his Wookiee growls, I hear Chewbacca.  That's lame.  Hire some intern to take a microphone to the zoo and record some new bear sounds fer Chrissakes!

I know he isn't popular 'round here, but SW sound design has suffered since the departure of Ben Burtt.

How does Han understand those silly noises and how come he can just speak English to Chewie and he understands? Is it like a dog where it isn't actually a language? But then how does he understand complicated instructions in English and engineering?

Because Han has good ears like me, picks up on nuances, and can tell when they use old Chewbacca sounds for Kelnacca!!!

49 minutes ago, Brock Lovett said:

How does Han understand those silly noises and how come he can just speak English to Chewie and he understands? Is it like a dog where it isn't actually a language? But then how does he understand complicated instructions in English and engineering?

He learned Wookieish when he was a kid. Kinda like when Thor had classes on Grootish when he was in school.

4 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Kinda like when Thor had classes on Grootish when he was in school.

You mean our @Thor?

21 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

And anyone who likes courtroom dramas should check out Breaker Morant, a classic of Australian cinema.

I remember my Australian history teacher showing this to us in class, while we fooled around in the dark. (Get your mind out of the gutter.)

We were all like, "Hey, it's 'The Equalizer'!"

I should probably give it a more attentive watch now as an adult. lol

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

"I think I can admit any fandom can be traditionalists. Why wouldn’t they be? The fans waited years to see Luke rebuild the order, but the studio robbed them of this."

Yup. And the journos and shills on Disney's payroll had their fun calling them all "manbabies"—or worse—for caring about this.

Way to bite the hand that feeds you, Disney...

The go-to response to criticism of this swill is that you're a racist sexist misogynistic dinosaur if you don't like it. Those things are mostly true about me, but that doesn't also mean the criticisms aren't valid or even wrong. Don't turn a beloved franchise into a Social Experiment and burn it all down like the Joker. All of us sort of caught in the middle refusing to push the buttons on the detonator are the enemy to these glorified Content Creators.

But did it have to be at the expense of ensuring you have an accurate read on what the general public actually thinks of a project? Especially when the supposed arbiters of the fandom can't even tell that the page they're invading is the wrong one? This shit has gotten too hogged up by people too invested in the soup, no matter if some of them have been able to make their decisions based on actually consuming the works they're lambasting. After a while, am I actually expected to trust no one but myself in determining the media's worth? It'd be an incredibly time consuming process if you have no people that you personally trust to be on a similar wavelength as yourself.

Does the concept of a general consensus even mean anything in this day and age?

2 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

am I actually expected to trust no one but myself in determining the media's worth?

It's all so subjective anyway...

But if one insists on being guided in their choices by critics, my advice would just be to find one or two "honest" ones that seem to agree with you, and hit the mark more often than not.

Roger Ebert was an honest critic that I liked to listen to, but his opinions could sometimes run completely contrary to mine. So, caveat emptor.

As for aggregate critic scores, I think we've seen that it's a flawed concept and doesn't mean much... Critics can be bought, and critics can have an agenda the same as the "review bombers."

I think I just learned to give up on taking ratings discourse seriously after the absurd notion Snyder bros pushed, back when the DCEU was a thing, that Disney was specifically paying critics to give non-MCU superhero movies bad scores. Which sure must be extra silly in hindsight once Phase 4-5 came around, and the RT scores wavered far more often.

Disney also has a really weird fan base that lap up any and everything they crap out, the kind of crowd drawn to being a Film Reviewer. All these Hollyweird reviewers are probably going to Disneyland every weekend. Can't have too much negativity in the reviews, or you'll lose access.

5 minutes ago, Brock Lovett said:

Disney also has a really weird fan base that lap up any and everything they crap out, the kind of crowd drawn to being a Film Reviewer. All these Hollyweird reviewers are probably going to Disneyland every weekend. Can't have too much negativity in the reviews, or you'll lose access.

While there's definetly some critics who wouldn't criticize too much stuff coming from one of the biggies like Disney, the article I posted does note that the RT score for The Acolyte dropped from 92% to 84% after the release of episode 3. Meaning there are more people who didn't care for the direction the show was taking. 

While I think there should be more nuanced views out there (no, not every critic who dislikes Disney SW is a sexist homophobic pig nor every critic who does like it is a paid shill), I guess this is what happens when you deal with an IP that elicits such strong emotional response.

It just makes my interest in a franchise lessen if we end up accusing people of being too biased after a while. Especially since I already thought the sequel trilogy didn't warrant any of the reputations it has gotten, so you might have to start telling me what else is good besides the obvious shit.

21 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

It just makes my interest in a franchise lessen if we end up accusing people of being too biased after a while. Especially since I already thought the sequel trilogy didn't warrant any of the reputations it has gotten, so you might have to start telling me what else is good besides the obvious shit.

I'm not sure what you mean. You suggest you're uncomfortable with the accusations of bias...coming from whom, towards whom? And why would people making such accusations impact your own interest in a franchise? And isn't whether the sequel trilogy "warranted" the criticism it got irrelevant to your own ability to enjoy it?

If you like it, you like it, doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Same goes if you don't like it. And you're free to express those opinions online. If you're looking for guidance on what to watch, do what @Mr. Hooper suggests and find critics that share your taste and ignore the noise. 

1 hour ago, HunterTech said:

Does the concept of a general consensus even mean anything in this day and age?

Not really. Not when the opinions of a small number of vocal social media users is what passes as "consensus". 

I feel tempted to admit that my bluff has been called out, even if I didn't exactly intend it to be such.

So much of my consumption of media is disconnected from what people around me actually watch and discuss that, realistically, all this stuff shouldn't matter to me at all. And yet, because we discuss these topics so often, I'm left feeling like I have to have some sort of stance, even if ultimately I can just talk to my circle of friends about whatever, and leave it there.

Is it because it's incredibly easy? Perhaps. I certainly have more trouble with anything that isn't music these days, but it's not outside the realm of possibility. I've been very slowly getting to things that have been on my radar for quite a while (LotR being the most recent example). And even then, I'm finding it takes a good bit for some of it to just settle in sometimes. So where does that ultimately leave me?

I guess I've been operating on the notion that if I find myself getting into more well established properties, that it'll just leave me becoming bitter eventually. Completely forgetting that every single thing has their sore spots eventually, so I'm almost more responding based on how people treat these things, which isn't a particularly strong foundation if that's all you have. I get a lot out of when people talk about why they enjoy things, so it's really a case of me needing to figure out being able to better enjoy things on my own terms and going from there.