Is the Raiders March your favorite theme John Williams has ever written?

Bellosh

Is the Raiders March your favorite theme John Williams has ever written?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Raiders March your favorite theme John Williams has ever written?

If Adventure has a theme… it must be… The Raiders March. 

I can’t pick a favorite, but I dress like Indiana Jones when I walk my dog 3 times a day.  That means I hum the theme at least 3 times a day. 

It's not even my favorite theme from the franchise, and that's not to diminish it any way. It is, however, I think one his character themes that best captures the essence of the character.

Oh gosh, no. I mean it's a great, iconic theme, but it's been overplayed over the years for me. I also don't veer much to that kind of rambunctious march stuff anymore. My favourite Williams theme would be the JURASSIC PARK theme, both of whose parts are more majestic than jaunty. Also slightly overplayed, true, but I try to portion out my exposure to it these days. Beyond that, it would be something in his "religious"/pastoral mode -- something like "The Face of Pan", "Angela's Prayer", "Restoration" etc.

It's one of his signature themes for sure, but personally I don't like it at all. Hard to describe what it is exactly but for me it sounds too "simple" in a way that it lacks the depth other themes seem to have. And as others said already, Raiders March with Marions theme in the middle and then again the March + Marions Theme in concert is just overkill.

I like it a lot, but wouldn't call it my favourite. It's hard to pick a favourite among all his great themes. I think Jane Eyre has a shot at being his best theme, at least for me. I also like The Reivers themes a lot. Almost every JW score has a strong main theme. That's his strength imo :)

Not even close for the same reasons others mentioned (too simple and repetitive). The only variation of that theme that I really like is at the end of the Indy 4 end credits:

The theme does a marvellous job in the movie, but I am happy, that in the last two Indy movies its usage decreased and as I mentioned before, I just have no particular interest in it as a concert piece. There I prefer Marion's Theme on its own. And I would really love to hear one day "The Desert Chase" in concert. Recordings of the Raiders March tend to remind me of that.

I love the theme, and for me it it hasn't been over-played so I definitely enjoy it when I hear it and the adventure it calls to mind, but I'm most drawn to some of Williams' more sentimental and childhood-evoking themes, like Somewhere in my Memory, the 'family' theme from the first Harry Potter, Tootles theme from Hook. 

I also like the theme from Stepmom, The Accidental Tourist, Shmi's theme from TPM since they evoke a similar sentimentality to me.

Not even close, and probably not even my favorite theme from the series. I agree with the others who think it comes across as too simple & repetitive. It's a famous theme, for sure, mostly for franchise nostalgia reasons—but the famous themes aren't necessarily the best ones.

EDIT: Side note, but I also for the life of me don't understand the point of Williams performing both the complete Raiders March and Marion's Theme on the same concert (especially if they're one after the other, like in Berlin). I kind of hope that in the future if he features Marion's Theme, that he will just play his new condensed Raiders March version that omits her theme.

6 hours ago, MrJosh said:

One thing I do love about Raider's March is that it works wonderfully both in march form and also in slower, contemplative form. 

But in that regard, I think, the Imperial March works even better.

On 09/11/2022 at 9:55 AM, Bellosh said:

i was admittedly in a polling mood last night for obvious reasons.

but i think i genuinely overestimated how many people view this as their favorite theme here.

I am shocked to hear how many people say it's not even close.  Really??? What is your favorite then?  I can't pick a favorite personally, but it's my favorite when I'm listening to it.  Top music for Top Men.

I'm also surprised to hear it called repetitive.  That description fits Jurassic Park, which would be the "not even close" choice for me.  (I imagine many of our members were of just the right age to have JP be their #1.)

If I recall correctly, Williams has said it was not an easy melody to write.  Plus you have the whole two themes stuck together anecdote.  I think its familiarity is taken for granted.  

41 minutes ago, Andy said:

I am shocked to hear how many people say it's not even close.  Really??? What is your favorite then?  I can't pick a favorite personally, but it's my favorite when I'm listening to it.  Top music for Top Men.

I'm also surprised to hear it called repetitive.  That description fits Jurassic Park, which would be the "not even close" choice for me.  (I imagine many of our members were of just the right age to have JP be their #1.)

If I recall correctly, Williams has said it was not an easy melody to write.  Plus you have the whole two themes stuck together anecdote.  I think its familiarity is taken for granted.  

i'm surprised a little bit that its only me and someone else (REVEAL YOURSELF :wave: ) that find it our favorite.

what blows my mind with the theme, is that after the final hurrah fanfare, you get this little bit (2:09-end) and it's JW signifying Indy is onto another adventure.  It's unreal.

On 10/11/2022 at 1:25 PM, Bellosh said:

(REVEAL YOURSELF :wave: )

You made the poll.  You have the power to click the button that lets everyone see who voted for which option

image.png

I'll admit, when I first saw the question (before anybody else voted) it really got me thinking about whether the Indy theme was actually my favorite of JW's themes, despite being such a big Indy fan myself.

After seeing how everyone else voted, though, I knew what my vote needed to be.

On 10/11/2022 at 6:37 PM, Andy said:

I was one of the not even close ones. Not gonna lie here, the Raiders March is for me a track that I don't skip, but I'm happy when it's over. I love the Indiana Jones scores for the female character and macguffin themes.

And since you asked about the favorite theme, I also couldn't pick a single favorite but I can savely say that the Raiders March is not one of them.

Just got back from walking my dog.  (I am named after her).  And as I was humming the theme, I was reminded how the most perfect melodies are deceptively obvious.  Well, of course it resolves that way.  And yes, that is very song-like.  But I cannot imagine how hard it must’ve been to come up with something that becomes ubiquitous and well known.  As Williams likes to say, daunting.  Yet here we are, taking it for granted that it came from blank staff paper.  If another composer wrote that today, people would lose their minds.