Is the Raiders March your favorite theme John Williams has ever written?

Bellosh

Is the Raiders March your favorite theme John Williams has ever written?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Raiders March your favorite theme John Williams has ever written?

On 9/11/2022 at 1:22 PM, MrJosh said:

One thing I do love about Raider's March is that it works wonderfully both in march form and also in slower, contemplative form. 

The insert when the child tells Indy if he drinks the blood, he won’t wake up from the nightmare is sooooo good.

2 hours ago, Clockwork Angel said:

My favorite statement of the theme has to be the end of Fast Streets.

As the plane is taking off against the sky? That plays in my head anytime I'm merging onto a road and begin to accelerate to join traffic:lol:

11 minutes ago, Brando said:

As the plane is taking off against the sky? That plays in my head anytime I'm merging onto a road and begin to accelerate to join traffic:lol:

Nice try Lao Che!

20 hours ago, Brando said:

The insert when the child tells Indy if he drinks the blood, he won’t wake up from the nightmare is sooooo good.

yes!!!!  this one right?

i won't believe my ears the day we have all these missing cues. 

Technically the insert plays after that line and seems to have been added to punctuate Shorty looking at Indy and him looking back, with Indy's theme instead of the dramatic chord on the album version

4 hours ago, Bellosh said:

yes!!!!  this one right?

i won't believe my ears the day we have all these missing cues. 

So good.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Technically the insert plays after that line and seems to have been added to punctuate Shorty looking at Indy and him looking back, with Indy's theme instead of the dramatic chord on the album version

Yeah, you're right, that was the only identifiable line I thought of for that moment that I knew people would recognize since that's such a deep moment.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Something about the Force theme is so legendary and iconic to me. It emotionally affects me more than any other theme I’ve ever heard so in my opinion that’s my favorite Williams theme even though it’s more like a motif. If not for that though easily Raider’s March. I actually like the B phrase more than the A phrase.

There’s no concert suite Force theme is there?

not the single best adventure theme of his (i really like how longlined it becomes and it's irreplaceable), however, when it plays, specially in some specific spots and variations, it is suddenly the best adventure theme and you brain is filled with it

i always thought it had a very specific mood. it's rythm and the hook of the A theme is hard to plaster on a screen mindlessly. it's not a generic adventure theme. there's a specific vibe. juvenile.

wether my mood accepts or not the raiders march affects greatly playing one of these scores.

however, i can't pretend that things like the Shiva theme or Jurassic Park/The Lost World or Rey's Theme with all its neat little segments or whatever didn't happen. it's hard out there. it's hard to be a JW theme and compete with others.

So where does that put Midway? 

1941 is a much more definable march. It's WWII. It's a slightly / more than slightly over the top parody. Elmer Bernstein or Jerry Goldsmith would have gotten close to the same thing. (And occasionally did.) 

• 5 months later...

Hey whomever said in another thread that I can't find that the coda to the raiders march reminds them of Indy back on campus....just wanna say I think about that every time I hear it now.

I'm fully onboard with that theory.