[Betting Poll] Will The Fabelmans be nominated for a Best Original Score Oscar?

Disco Stu

Will The Fabelmans be nominated for a Best Original Score Oscar?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Will The Fabelmans be nominated for a Best Original Score Oscar?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/11/22 at 04:59 AM

I'm only going to leave this poll open for a week to force people to lock in their bets.  Get your bet in now so we can look back next year and see if we were right!

Note this isn't about whether you think it should be nominated or about how you wish the Academy worked, just purely betting on the reality of the Oscars as they are.

I'm gonna guess the film won't be a major contender, therefore the score won't be, especially given how short it is. It's a tough call because Williams can still get nominated just because he's Williams... and maybe I'll be surprised and the Academy will take the bait re: the film itself.

Of course, I would love JW to get another nomination, and I love the music  :D 

It's ridiculous that he's never won since 1993 for anything, but IMO this is not the score to win him another and I don't think it's going to get the necessary attention unless the film makes a huge splash.

When thinking about awards like this, there's no point in comparing this year's scores to scores from other years.  It only matters what is out this year when it comes to figuring out what will get nominated

13 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

It's ridiculous that he's never won since 1993 for anything, but IMO this is not the score to win him another and I don't think it's going to get the necessary attention unless the film makes a huge splash.

Yeah, despite some great tracks it's probably the most minor "Music by" credit for JW (Superman Quest for Peace's credit technically counts as fraud so I don't count it)

3 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

I don't expect Spielberg to make any more movies that will really please me. It's been too long. I held on for quite a while, considering. But I'm happy for y'all who still enjoy his stuff.

Of the last 15 years, Lincoln and Bridge of Spies are two of my favorite movies of all time, Spielberg or not.  But it is true that nothing else he's made in that period has come close to those two for me, and BoS was 7 years ago now....  I'm really looking forward to The Fabelmans though.  Everything I've read suggests it's not quite like anything else he's made.

Well, Fabelmans inspired better Williams music than the Post, if that's any indication. And I avoided mentioning my feelings about Bridge of Spies for you, Stu. I remember you liked it. I wouldn't call most latter-day Spielberg movies BAD... they're well made, there are things to like about them, but somehow it doesn't come together into something that excites me.

Reading the comments in this thread with everyone so sure of themselves…

Geez…

The Fabelmans is a critically acclaimed film and is regarded -and least until this day- as a MAJOR frontrunner for the Best Picture award.

The score is literally on everyone’s prediction-list regarding nominations.

West Side Story received critical acclaim.

I don’t know how things will go down for The Fablemans March 12 2023.

That’s roughly 4 months (!) from now.

I envy those holding a crystal ball in their hands at this point.

I don’t know how The Fablemans will continue to fare with critics these coming weeks with films like Babylon coming out.

I don’t know if Williams will choose to promote the score as heavily as he did Memoirs Of A Geisha back in 2005/2006.

If he performs the main theme and Reverie on piano for some televised show at a certain point -and the ‘This is the final Spielberg/Williams collaboration score’-card is played well-, it could seriously change the way people feel about his work for the film.

All I know is: A Passage To India won back in the 80’s, so did Brokeback Mountain and The Hateful Eight, scores comparable in length to The Fabelmans.

It’s all about the momentum and we don’t know whether that will grow or cool off. There are ‘political’ motivations at play as well and perhaps the Academy desperately *want* to award a 91 year old nominee.

We simply don’t know.

Call it naive, wishful thinking -I don’t care really-, but anyone pretending to be some kind of ‘industry insider’ here is just making a joke of themselves.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Sandor my man, the winner of the academy award for best score has not got to the actual best score for years now.  it's all political

the real prize is being one of hte 5 nominees, there's still merit in that.  the winner is irrelevant

I actually said there are political forces at work and that they could dictate that it serves the Academy/industry well to award Williams next year.

To rule out a win based on the actual score, is a bit stupendous in my mind. 

If The Book Thief didn't win against the competition that that score had....then I have little hope for this one.

Edit nevermind topic says nominated.

Yeah it'll probably be nominated 

I'm worried about how the movie uses and actually prioritizes classical pieces rather than JW's music.

I mean, in 2019 JNH probably would've been nominated for A Hidden Life if it wasn't for the classical music that got him disqualified.

So, first we need to be sure that The Fabelmans will be eligible for the Oscars.

Forgive me, but I do find it funny when you and other are 'worried' about JW's chances :) 

The last time I was in any way content with the music win was Gravity. I knew full well that it won because the film was well received, and not in any conceivable way due to the quality of the music. But it was by far my favourite score of the year so a tiny part of me was sort of happy.

So I get that a lot of people want to see JW's name in lights and see him win one more Oscar, and if it happened for this film, great.

Although given that the same academy decided that Santaolla's two contributions to film music represented the best of the year, make up your own mind about what that tells you when they tell you something is 'the best'. Add in the recent trend to give the award to basically anything whose accompanying film delivers a suitable political/social message and we drift further and further from the music. (I think we were still just at the 'fancy composer name' phase back then)

1 minute ago, Not Mr. Big said:

The Artist caught the fish though.  The Book Thief didn't 

Well I was just talking about the score.

The film wasn't deserving of a best picture nomination 100%. Even though I thought it was a nice film.

I don't think they need to be nominated for best picture to also have a good chance of winning best score. Regardless of the trends

2 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

No, I don't.

I'll make a separate bet poll "Will Brundlefly despise The Fabelmans for being saccharine sentimental hogwash?" and I'll bet real money on Yes!

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I'm worried about how the movie uses and actually prioritizes classical pieces rather than JW's music.

I mean, in 2019 JNH probably would've been nominated for A Hidden Life if it wasn't for the classical music that got him disqualified.

So, first we need to be sure that The Fabelmans will be eligible for the Oscars.

As I understand it, apart from the final inclusion of Haydn the classical pieces are actually played in the movie and are not used as underscore. Therefore it might less be a matter of priotization. But I might be wrong.

14 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Place your bet now based on the information available!  If you're not... chicken!

image.jpeg

12 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Ok, let's do it.

My conditions:

1. The bet is only on whether you generally like or dislike the movie, and being "mixed" on it would count as disliking it.  You either like it or you don't.

2. The loser of the bet donates the money to the JWFan website maintenance fund

3. You don't lie about your opinion!

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

I accidentally voted "no," as I interpreted this as will it win.  Yes, it will be nominated; no, it will not win.  

You can change your vote if you click to go back to the vote options

image.png