[Betting Poll] Will The Fabelmans be nominated for a Best Original Score Oscar?

Disco Stu

Will The Fabelmans be nominated for a Best Original Score Oscar?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Will The Fabelmans be nominated for a Best Original Score Oscar?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/11/22 at 04:59 AM

The Force Awakens was up against The Hateful Eight, Sicario, Carol, and Bridge of Spies.

You think TFA would have won against the other 3 if Hateful Eight didn't exist?

18 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Forgive me, but I do find it funny when you and other are 'worried' about JW's chances :) 

The last time I was in any way content with the music win was Gravity. I knew full well that it won because the film was well received, and not in any conceivable way due to the quality of the music. But it was by far my favourite score of the year so a tiny part of me was sort of happy.

So I get that a lot of people want to see JW's name in lights and see him win one more Oscar, and if it happened for this film, great.

Although given that the same academy decided that Santaolla's two contributions to film music represented the best of the year, make up your own mind about what that tells you when they tell you something is 'the best'. Add in the recent trend to give the award to basically anything whose accompanying film delivers a suitable political/social message and we drift further and further from the music. (I think we were still just at the 'fancy composer name' phase back then)

I you think Gravity was the best score that year( better than TBT) you are in the wrong forum. Try to google " the best sound design/sound effects forums"

I said 'favourite', not 'best'.

TBF is definitely better from a craftsmanship perspective; it just didn't do anything for me musically. Plus I just like sound design scores generally.

You'd be correct that I'd be in the wrong place if I thought Gravity was better musically, but you're also in the wrong place if you consider everything JW does to be automatically above others.

21 minutes ago, Joni Wiljami said:

Well if you understand anything about music, musicality and the craftsmanship, he's quite  much above anybody else currently and actually for so many years. And I think this forum is good for a fan like me.

Though I agree with you 100% my friend, we must accept free thinking folks as well!

42 minutes ago, Joni Wiljami said:

I you think Gravity was the best score that year( better than TBT) you are in the wrong forum. Try to google " the best sound design/sound effects forums"

Gravity is a score.  It's not even THAT far down the "sound design " route.  It's pretty thematic 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

The Force Awakens was up against The Hateful Eight, Sicario, Carol, and Bridge of Spies.

You think TFA would have won against the other 3 if Hateful Eight didn't exist?

I think Carol might have won.

TFA score had unanimous acclaim but I would say in film score circles. And sequel scores don't typically win. 

But that's a moot point. I think The Hateful Eight oscar was sewn up pretty decisively. Even though that's a stunt oscar. 

6 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I think Carol might have won.

TFA score had unanimous acclaim but I would say in film score circles. And sequel scores don't typically win. 

But that's a moot point. I think The Hateful Eight oscar was sewn up pretty decisively. Even though that's a stunt oscar. 

+ This was really great.

48 minutes ago, Sandor said:

+ This was really great.

It's alright. I think it is an example of "suite scoring". Meaning, Morricone composed some suites and submitted. And then the editor and film-maker applied it to the their finished film. 

Honestly, I think the unobtrusive nature of this score is a boon rather than an obstruction. I think there are probably a lot of academy members who recoil against the more bombastic Williams. They’d probably like to give him an Oscar, as long as they never actually noticed the score. Plus, I’d bank on Oscar voters to not understand Williams didn’t write the classical selections, even if they aren’t on the FYC

29 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

It's alright. I think it is an example of "suite scoring". Meaning, Morricone composed some suites and submitted. And then the editor and film-maker applied it to the their finished film. 

As absolute music, I think it’s a fantastic piece and it made the opening title sequence of the film instantly memorable. 

Apart from The BFG and KOTKS (which were poorly received movies), there wasn't a year where he wasn't nominated since Home Alone 2 and Far & Away so his last collaboration with Spielberg will of course be nominated (along with Tàr, Wakanda Forever, Pinochio and either Babylon or Empire of Light).

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

Apart from The BFG and KOTKS (which were poorly received movies), there wasn't a year where he wasn't nominated since Home Alone 2 and Far & Away 

Furthermore none of these movies received any Oscar nominations, Far & Away and Home Alone 2 had equally mediocre reviews, and only Home Alone 2 was a fall/winter release i.e. closer to Oscar voters' memories but as we know, sequels nor comedies usually play well to them anyway.

The last time John Williams was not nominated at all in a year where he scored a movie that received at least one other Oscar nomination was 1979, when 1941 got Cinematography, Sound, and Special Effects recognition but nothing for JW, and meanwhile Dracula got nada altogether.

So I think Fabelmans would have to be ineligible (although I seem to recall somebody posting an article that confirmed it was eligible) or the changing tastes of the Academy music branch would have to be proven to be kinda over JW even in a critically acclaimed project. So far he's as likely to be nominated as ever. 

I also feel like even if it's a low average for Spielberg/Williams there's no way Fabelmans has less score in it than Tar. 

My guess of what the nominees will be this year:

• Empire of Light
  • Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
  • Tár
  • Pinnocchio 
  • The Fabelmans

Aside of those, I think Abel Korzeniowski's Till or Emily or Simon Franglen's Avatar 2 have a very tiny chance if the ones I posted above didn't get nominated.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

• Tár

This would indeed surprise me, since the original music is virtually non-existent in the film other than a sub drone that is mixed waaaaay down under traffic noise (as much as Hildur's press circuit will have you believe otherwise).

I'm guessing Women Talking will make the list instead, since I've heard that is a more overtly musical score.

Yeah I heard people talking about the brilliant Tar score and so I was listening out for it...not even against ambient scores, I can dig a Reznor/Ross or even Guonadottir, I have no problem grasping what people were getting out of Joker even if it's not my thing. 

But literally Tar had no score?? I really felt like maybe I'm actually legitimately deaf to this stuff now lmao. Was there anything in those surreal vignette-y transitions maybe? 

6 hours ago, MaxMovieMan said:

Babylon will probably have a good chance of getting nominated and I bet that score will be phenomenal given Hurwitz’s previous work.

Those tracks are interesting but I feel as though the score itself will be much more accessible. Not all the tracks will be rambunctious jazz songs I hope. I had been hearing from a lot of critics who saw the film that the score is the best part.

6 hours ago, p0llux said:

It will be nominated, but won't win. He's been 0/21 since Schindler's List. I actually think Indy 5 have a better chance of winning for some reason.

Agree with this, especially if the film is highly regarded by critics.

Those crowd-pleasers often get snubbed in the "prestige" categories but showered with love in technical categories as a "consolation prize." This keeps the casual viewers happy (who expect their treasured Marvel films to sweep the awards).

Pair that with the fact Williams never won an Oscar for composing the Raiders March, and the fact it'll be his final ever film score, and it could be hard for the Academy to overlook. The big negative is the timing, as the film won't be fresh in people's minds.

But it really comes down to whether Mangold delivers the film we all hope he will.

On 17/11/2022 at 8:20 AM, MaxMovieMan said:

Those tracks are interesting but I feel as though the score itself will be much more accessible. Not all the tracks will be rambunctious jazz songs I hope. I had been hearing from a lot of critics who saw the film that the score is the best part.

The thing with Babylon is that is has been described as followed:

'Babylon is essentially a three-hour-plus bender of a movie that pummels the audience with Boschian-level set pieces of Jazz Era decadence — mountains of cocaine, graphic overdoses, scatological humor, projectile vomiting, horror-movie-style sex dungeons, murder, suicide, and rattlesnake wrestling.'

Early reactions have been mixed.

It could be that the Academy is trying to claim back some of the prestige it once had after the infamous 'Oscar slap' this year and multiple wins for The Fabelmans could fit that agenda.

Just speculating here about the politics involved, as discussed earlier in this thread. 

7 hours ago, Sandor said:

The thing with Babylon is that is has been described as followed:

'Babylon is essentially a three-hour-plus bender of a movie that pummels the audience with Boschian-level set pieces of Jazz Era decadence — mountains of cocaine, graphic overdoses, scatological humor, projectile vomiting, horror-movie-style sex dungeons, murder, suicide, and rattlesnake wrestling.'

Early reactions have not been mixed.

It could be that the Academy is trying to claim back some of the prestige it once had after the infamous 'Oscar slap' this year and multiple wins for The Fabelmans could fit that agenda.

Just speculating here about the politics involved, as discussed earlier in this thread. 

I’ve heard the movie was good from others. The reactions are very mixed. Some say it’s great some hate it. To be honest it’s the most mixed reaction I’ve heard from a movie in a while which excites me. And the one positive thing I keep hearing no matter what they think of the movie is that Justin Hurwitz composed an awesome score. Also he’s an Oscar darling along with Chazelle so I could see him getting nominated for sure.

27 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I mean it's not entirely political reasons.  If the movie truly stunk its awards momentum would have been a non-starter.

More about the score though.  Since Original Score hinges on the film itself being successful 

If the score won because voters liked the movie, not because voters liked the score, then, as far as I’m concerned, that’s political.  When you have a film like Tar, which is excellent but basically has no score, as one of the front runners, I think that is political. 

Then I'm afraid there has never been a non-political win in the history of, not just the Oscars, but perhaps every creative award ever.  There's always an external reason that something or someone is winning an award, in addition to the work itself.

Some other scores that may get the nomination this year, instead of Tár:

• She Said (Nicholas Brittell)
  • Bones and All (Trent Resznor & Atticuss Ross)
  • White Noise (Danny Elfman)
  • Emily (Abel Korzeniowski)
  • The Batman (Michael Giacchino) - a very, VERY long shot, but it was still nominated for the Grammys

15 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Then I'm afraid there has never been a non-political win in the history of, not just the Oscars, but perhaps every creative award ever.  There's always an external reason that something or someone is winning an award, in addition to the work itself.

Go into any business that awards Employee of the Month and ask people what they think of the winners. 

On 16/11/2022 at 2:03 PM, Disco Stu said:

My conditions:

1. The bet is only on whether you generally like or dislike the movie, and being "mixed" on it would count as disliking it.  You either like it or you don't.

2. The loser of the bet donates the money to the JWFan website maintenance fund

3. You don't lie about your opinion!

Wait, we were talking about "despise", me having mixed feelings on a Spielberg movie these days is much too probable to bet against it.

• 2 weeks later...

Women Talking wins best score at the St. Louis Film Critics Association Awards:

https://awardswatch.com/2022-st-louis-film-critics-association-winners-everything-everywhere-all-at-once-women-talking-elvis/

I think John Williams' score was the only nomination (runner-up) for The Fabelmans.

Right now, Hildur Guðnadóttir's Women Talking is the #1 favorite for the upcoming award ceremonies, including the Golden Globes and the Academy Awards.