[Betting Poll] Will The Fabelmans be nominated for a Best Original Score Oscar?

Disco Stu

Will The Fabelmans be nominated for a Best Original Score Oscar?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Will The Fabelmans be nominated for a Best Original Score Oscar?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/11/22 at 04:59 AM

They yanked Ricky Gervais and turned it into the most unfunny  award show I've ever seen. 

57 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I don't think JW would be THAT sad after losing a Golden Globe. He lost the Oscar race a lot of times before (while also winning it in 5 occasions), why would he be that disappointed about a fucking Golden Globe - aka the shittiest award in Hollywood?

why was he there at 90 years old with his wife then

Hmm Fablemans won  Golden Globe for Best picture and Best Director

Well at least it has some sort of momentum for the Oscars so maybe there's a chance. Also Women Talking  was largely ignored

I guess it's JW vs Hurwitz.He might get the old guy sympathy vote

Notably the last time the Globes Score award was not the same winner as the Oscar was the last time Hurwitz won, for First Man.  But yeah the Globe and Oscar are the same winner most, but not all, of the time.

35 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Notably the last time the Globes Score award was not the same winner as the Oscar was the last time Hurwitz won, for First Man.  But yeah the Globe and Oscar are the same winner most, but not all, of the time.

True and the last time Williams won an Academy Award, he did not won the Golden Globe for Best Original Score (Kitaro's Heaven And Earth was chosen over Schindler's List back in 1994). 

Despite there still being a theoretical chance, I've accepted that Babylon will probably also win the Academy Award this year. 

Also last time Williams himself won the Globe, he lost the Oscar

Babylon is divisive enough as a movie that it could end up going another way. Still I'm not sure that even people who love Fabelmans would necessarily vote for the score over Babylon.

I just watched the clip from the previous page and the screengrab makes his expression look way worse, although he doesn't look 'happy'.

I guess Globes voters place current politics and trends above honouring the potential climax to a great Hollywood relationship. Sad, but probably just a reflection of where we are now.

14 hours ago, Brando said:

Okay after watching it, it doesn't seem like he's sad, just tired it seems. Unless I'm reading him wrong.

I think he was actually attentively listening to the words of Justin Hurwitz, who was trying to make a good and noble point. You can see Brad Pitt smiling at the beginning of Hurwitz's speech, but at the point Williams supposedly looks 'sad', Pitt has tuned down his smile as well, partly because Hurwitz is clearly going to cover some serious ground and partly because the Golden Globe winner is sort of struggling getting his point across. 

6 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

Hurwitz has four Golden Globes out of four nominations. It's madness!

Williams has four Golden Globes out of twenty seven nominations. It's madness!

Indeed! 

I am sure John will be nomiated but Justin Hurwitz will win the Oscar. 

9 minutes ago, JTGL said:

Indeed! 

I am sure John will be nomiated but Justin Hurwitz will win the Oscar. 

Probably. But I'll always say that a nomination is also an award. Nobody really loses here. Although, of course, a sixth Oscar for the Maestro would be amazing.

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

So Fabelmans wins both Best Director and Best Picture but not best score. That's gotta sting a little. 

It's definitely a sign that its not seen as a major work from Williams. Honestly, otherwise it would have won. Awards bodies often couple awards like this. There was no reason to award Babylon for Score here if there was another viable contender.

I still don't think Babylon will win the Oscar for score. The movie is absolutely terrible and besides I hated the score too.

I've always said Williams has no chance to win the Oscar for Fabelmans. The conditions are favorable for him to win - but its the score itself that's holding him back. I love the score but award givers will definitely think it is a very small work and though they might respect Williams - they might think - he won for freaking E.T. and Star Wars - we aren't gonna give him another one for 15 minutes of understated underscore. So to a degree, Williams will be the victim of his own lofty achievements. 

This is a rare year when not only do I have no personal favourite but nothing from the longlist shouts to me at being prominent, unusual, gimmicky, or any of the usual non-musical criteria.

Usually Williams writes another large, dramatic score and then something else emerges which within 5 seconds it becomes obvious will win, for whatever reason (choose your gimmick or political issue of the year). Regardless of JW's place within the other nominees, his score is obviously better than the winner and we all have a moan.

Not this year - I have absolutely no idea who's going to win, but based purely on musical terms, it's not JW. maybe token voting could provide a saviour...

I would be a little bit annoyed if JW won for Fabelmans given everything he's done since Schindler's List lol. This is considering that I am smitten with its theme and think Mitzi's Dance is a really nicely scored scene but come on man. 

Williams is not fueled by awards, but by the intangible miracle of music itself.  His attendance is no doubt in support of Steven.  Although it's sad to us and the screen cap looks sad, I imagine him to be stronger than that.

17 minutes ago, Andy said:

Williams is not fueled by awards, but by the intangible miracle of music itself.  His attendance is no doubt in support of Steven.  Although it's sad to us and the screen cap looks sad, I imagine him to be stronger than that.

I think it's his glasses reflecting the stage lights and he's just bored

36 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I think it's his glasses reflecting the stage lights and he's just bored

He looked melancholic on some of the Milan photos.

I think the fact that Babylon was very divisive will work against Hurwitz. When was the last time a movie as poorly received as this one won the Original Score award? As far as I remember, most winners of this prize also enjoyed great critical reception, right?

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I think the fact that Babylon was very divisive will work against Hurwitz. When was the last time a movie as poorly received as this one won the Original Score award? As far as I remember, most winners of this prize also enjoyed great critical reception, right?

Joker was mixed in terms of critical reception (but more positive than Babylon), but of course it was a huge hit and it was very soon after the metoo brouhaha, which made it a good narrative to vote for Hildur.

So yeah, if Babylon wins the Oscar, it would be the first time I know of that a movie won for score that had both mixed-to-negative critical reception and was a commercial bomb.  But hey, records like that are made to be broken.

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wonder if anyone's ever made a list of the biggest bombs that won academy awards...

If we look at the Best Score winners, there hasn't been a movie that could be called an 'A box office bomb' in 40 years. I don't know what it was like earlier. There were movies that lost some money like Soul (but it was Covid-19 time), The Right Stuff, The Milagro Beanfield War…

31 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Joker was mixed in terms of critical reception (but more positive than Babylon), but of course it was a huge hit and it was very soon after the metoo brouhaha, which made it a good narrative to vote for Hildur.

So yeah, if Babylon wins the Oscar, it would be the first time I know of that a movie won for score that had both mixed-to-negative critical reception and was a commercial bomb.  But hey, records like that are made to be broken.

Joker was also a Best Picture and Director nominee and Best Actor winner

9 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Are you saying he should have walked into them??

No, like I’m used to seeing him walk off stage, so seeing him walking out of the auditorium, along with everyone else, all crowded together, for some reason I didn’t expect to see that:lol:

At the Critics Choice awards, Hildur won for TAR (which I think is ineligible at the Oscars). 

I don't remember that film having any original score whatsoever! If it did, it left no impression on me. 

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

At the Critics Choice awards, Hildur won for TAR (which I think is ineligible at the Oscars). 

I don't remember that film having any original score whatsoever! If it did, it left no impression on me. 

Apparently there is no score in the movie except one short cue. Kind of a strange decision but it says all you need to know about how the best score category works (in many cases, sometimes they do get it right). It’s all about the film and not so much about the music.

But maybe people think that Mahler is composed by Hildur…

12 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

Apparently there is no score in the movie except one short cue. Kind of a strange decision but it says all you need to know about how the best score category works

Yep, that sums up the complete farce this category has become in a lot of circles.

Don't know what the film has but the album according to Spotify has at least 18-20 minutes or so of music credited solely to Hildur (as opposed to classical composers).

A very brief skim suggests it's a lot of solo or chamber cello music which isn't my thing, but doesn't make it any less eligible than Williams.

It's fun playing devil's advocate here :) 

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Don't know what the film has but the album according to Spotify has at least 18-20 minutes or so of music credited solely to Hildur (as opposed to classical composers).

A very brief skim suggests it's a lot of solo or chamber cello music which isn't my thing, but doesn't make it any less eligible than Williams.

That was a concept album that was used on set but it isn’t used in the movie.

Women talking has score in the film so her winning for that would make a lot more sense.

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

This music is not in the film. The only score that is in the film is barely audible bass tones and a short, incomplete melody that Tar is writing. We never hear more than 4 or 5 notes of it.

There is almost no score in the film. 

No BAFTA nomination for JW this year 

• ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT Volker Bertelmann
  • BABYLON Justin Hurwitz
  • THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN Carter Burwell
  • EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE Son Lux
  • GUILLERMO DEL TORO’S PINOCCHIO Alexandre Desplat

6 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT Volker Bertelmann

Horrific that this was nominated over The Fabelmans.

Just... yikes. Little more than a soundscape of synth textures. It can hardly be classified as a film score.

Not arguing with your characterization of the music as soundscape, but there's less synth than you think in Bertelmann's scores.  He creates much of his work completely organically.  I find his processes fascinating and have really liked his albums under the name Hauschka for more than a decade.  His film scores have admittedly not impressed me a lot usually.

If only his scores sounded more like his work as Hauschka...