[Betting Poll] Will The Fabelmans be nominated for a Best Original Score Oscar?

Disco Stu

Will The Fabelmans be nominated for a Best Original Score Oscar?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Will The Fabelmans be nominated for a Best Original Score Oscar?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/11/22 at 04:59 AM

I forgot JW wasn't even longlisted for BAFTA, ha.

The other Original Score contenders were The Batman, Empire of Light, Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery, Tár, Women Talking, and The Wonder

The Fabelmans only got an Original Screenplay nod overall. It was longlisted for Film, Actress, Casting, and Production Design. 

I've always assumed they do it so early to allow all the PR/marketing/hype machines the entire day to spin up and do stuff.

And I suppose to make the morning news, too.

.... Williams has made it! JWFan parties (I'll just sit in the corner quietly)

1 hour ago, Antonb said:

wow just shows how corrupt the awards season rubbish is! Love mr williams  but this score is his worse in my opinion.  Certainty doesn't deserve to be nominated. Yes I will put my tin hat on!

Sometimes he is nominated only because he is John Williams. 

I seriously don't understand what the rules are. Jóhann Jóhannsson was disqualified years ago for using unoriginal music. John Williams did the same and was nominated.

At this point, even if I didn't enjoy the music I literally just don't give a shit about the quality of the scores, he's 90 and still on a freaking roll with nominations, keep going!! Go Johnny go go go! Even if I weren't a Williams fan it would be hilarious. 

33 minutes ago, Darth Mulder said:

Sometimes he is nominated only because he is John Williams. 

I seriously don't understand what the rules are. Jóhann Jóhannsson was disqualified years ago for using unoriginal music. John Williams did the same and was nominated.

The Academy is bending their rules again. It's such a sham. Williams' score should have ben ineligible. 

-Erik-

Exactly. And let's not forget that Jóhannsson was disqualified for "Arrival" because the film opens and closes with Max Richter's "On the Nature of Daylight", used as a score in the film. Neither Bach nor the Golden Age compositions or source songs in "The Fabelmans" are used as score. 

Richter's work was so evocative and made such an impression on the audience that the Academy decided that viewers wouldn't be able to distinguish it from Jóhannsson's music.

21 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

The context is different.

The pre-existing music is mainly used as source music - the characters on screen are hearing it too.

Existing music is NOT being used to score the movie itself at length as was the case when JJ was disqualified by the Academy.

In the scenes which need actual music underscoring, it is Williams providing the score, they aren't using pre-existing music for that. So he passes muster.

As I have noted above a rule change likely saved Williams. I think the earlier requirement was 60% of ALL MUSIC (source or underscore) featured in a movie had to be original. Williams would have failed that test. This year it was dropped to 30% hence he qualifies. 

Yes, some of the classical music was being use diegetically, but there were key scenes where classical music was being use as dramatic underscoring, for the lack of a better word. Plus, you had Sammy's discovery of his mother infidelity, where music is being used both diagetically and non-diagetically. Bach's Concerto in D Minor is also playing as score during the scene where the mother is watching Sammy's film clips that captured her infidelity. PLUS, there are existing songs throughout the film as well (playing overtop filming sequences). All of those elements takes away from the dramatic impact of Williams' minimal score, which is really only felt during the last few moment of the movie, and most of his score is heard under the end credits. There have been less egregious examples where scores have been disqualified, but since this is John Williams, the Academy will move the goal posts. 

As for eligibility. The rules state that the score has to be 35% of the total music used in the film. I don't know what the exact number is for Williams' score but a composer can submit a letter to the Branch Executive Committee, stating reasons for the score to be accepted for consideration. Maybe Williams did this. 

But, we still have this rule in place...

A score shall not be eligible if:
1. it has been diluted by the use of pre-existing music, or
2. it has been diminished in impact by the predominant use of songs or any music not composed
specifically for the film by the submitting composer

This, IMO, would make Williams score ineligible.

-Erik-

13 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

Neither Bach nor the Golden Age compositions or source songs in "The Fabelmans" are used as score. 

I'm not arguing one way or another (I'm happy to see him nominated), but the Bach adagio is absolutely used as underscore for the emotional turning point of the entire film.  And very effectively I might add!

I'm aware it's technically also diegetic, with the scene cutting between Mitzi playing the piece and Sammy editing.  Truly a masterful scene for all involved.  But nonetheless it's clearly being used as both diegetic and underscore.

7 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

As for eligibility. The rules state that the score has to be 35% of the total music used in the film. I don't know what the exact number is for Williams' score

On 16/01/2023 at 12:01 AM, Jay said:

There's 1:01:55 of music in the final film (which runs 2:30:46)

38:12 of that is source music

23:43 is original John Williams score

1423 / 3715 = 38.30% of all the music heard in the film is original score by John Williams.

Technicalities aside, that's still pretty low for a score.

3 hours ago, Antonb said:

wow just shows how corrupt the awards season rubbish is! Love mr williams  but this score is his worse in my opinion.  Certainty doesn't deserve to be nominated. Yes I will put my tin hat on!

Corrupt? No... but he's certainly being nominated as a token of how revered he is.

This score is actually for me the most listenable of the five nominated, but that's 100% a reflection of the rubbish they've nominated.

My thoughts on the subject

On 31/10/2022 at 11:09 AM, Disco Stu said:

Before anyone "well actually's" me, I do not personally count Walt Disney.  The man was a visionary and all that, but it's obviously dumb that he gets nominated for all those shorts where he was just the studio executive and not directly involved in their creation.

Disney is the most nominated with a big asterisk, Williams is the most nominated, period