[Betting Poll] Will The Fabelmans be nominated for a Best Original Score Oscar?

Disco Stu

Will The Fabelmans be nominated for a Best Original Score Oscar?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Will The Fabelmans be nominated for a Best Original Score Oscar?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/11/22 at 04:59 AM

That's the first time I'm going to say a JW score doesn't deserve a nomination, but it will be anyways but won't win unless it's old guy sympathy vote year again

In 1992, JFK was nominated for Best Original Score and When You’re Alone from Hook for Best Original Song.

I don’t think Williams got overlooked that year, despite Hook being perhaps the best score of 1991. 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Just FYI for everybody: the Oscar nominations are not being announced until Jan. 24th.

But yet they have already determined the winner.  

'One other competition I’m following closely is the battle for the Best Original Score Oscar. Currently, consensus has formed around Justin Hurwitz’s bombastic composition for Babylon, but with Universal playing up John Williams’ last collaboration with Steven Spielberg in The Fabelmans, might he just sweep through the season? I’m not ready to go there yet (it’s a very sparse score, and one that’s far less distinctive than Babylon‘s – or even Women Talking‘s and Pinocchio‘s for that matter), but watch this space.'

https://weliveentertainment.com/weliveawards/zoe-2023-academy-awards-predictions-december-23/

Despite what your personal opinion of the score is -and whether you feel the score deserves an Oscar or not-, The Fabelmans is generally considered -together with Women Talking and Babylon- as a strong frontrunner for the Original Score Award at this point, stronger than any Williams-score since Memoirs Of A Geisha. 

https://www.goldderby.com/awardshows/expert-predictions/oscars-nominations-2023-predictions/score/sort/recent/

https://nextbestpicture.com/oscar-predictions-best-original-score/

https://awardswatch.com/2023-oscar-predictions-original-score-december/

‘The Fabelmans may no longer be at the top of the Best Picture chart, but it is the favorite to win Best Original Score. John Williams will likely earn his record-setting 52nd Oscar nomination this year for Spielberg’s drama and this could be his sixth win. His toughest competition could be from two previous winners - Justin Hurwitz for Babylon and Hildur Guðnadóttir for Women Talking.’

http://thefilmexperience.net/blog/2022/12/26/team-experience-predictions-round-3-oscar-shortlists.html

The reception I've seen for Babylon is way more nuanced than just "piece of shit."  Some critics I respect like it very much.  That said, what I got from the reviews is that I'm not interested in seeing it, which is quite the turnaround after being a big Chazelle fan.  From the descriptions, I'm truly amazed WB put $80 million for it.  I doubt Chazelle gets a budget like that the next time out!

Sure, some critics like it, but some critics I follow called it the worst film of the year. At best, it’s divisive.

Apparently it needs to make $250 mil to break even. As is, it had the 6th worst opening weekend of all time for a wide release. It’s going to be considered a bomb because it is one, and I think that is something that blunts Oscar hype as well. I’d argue that’s what happened to West Side Story last year.

15 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

Sure, some critics like it, but some critics I follow called it the worst film of the year. At best, it’s divisive.

Apparently it needs to make $250 mil to break even with advertising costs considered. As is, it had the 6th worst opening weekend of all time for a wide release. It’s going to be considered a bomb because it is one, and I think that is something that blunts Oscar hype as well. I’d argue that’s what happened to West Side Story last year.

Yes, I agree that its Oscar chances are nil.  But that's a whole array of pretty narrow circumstances that have to line up for a movie to maintain Oscar trajectory.  I'm just saying from what I've read Babylon will not go down in the annals of truly horrendous pieces of shit movies that once had Oscar buzz like Extremely Loud and its ilk.  It seems like the kind of ambitious divisive film that will gain a community of ardent supporters over time.

For me, it's not the debauchery that turns me off, but that from what I've read Chazelle doesn't seem that interested in actually celebrating the culture of the time with any degree of accuracy or specificity.  He seems interested in the silent era/jazz age conceptually but not actually.

On 27/12/2022 at 12:03 PM, Disco Stu said:

For me, it's not the debauchery that turns me off, 

Well if that is not a signature line, I don't know what is.  

Don't get your hopes up.

Women Talking = #MeToo take down the patriarchy woke movie with woman director and woman composer. It's gonna sweep the awards including best original score, best director and best movie.

2 hours ago, King Mark said:

Don't get your hopes up.

Women Talking = #MeToo take down the patriarchy woke movie with woman director and woman composer. It's gonna sweep the awards including best original score, best director and best movie.

You’re probably right Mark, though I don’t see any reason to get my hopes down at this point either.

The Fabelmans is being eyed as a potential winner in a way much stronger than any Williams score since Schindler’s List, aside from Memoirs Of A Geisha.

On 23/12/2022 at 11:17 AM, Not Mr. Big said:

Hook is the Thomas Kinkade of John Williams scores!

While I don't agree...that was funny.

5 hours ago, King Mark said:

Don't get your hopes up.

Regrettably this is probably very accurate.  

Well, he's not getting a Bafta:

https://www.bafta.org/film/longlists-2023-ee-BAFTA-film-awards

They've longlisted it for film, screenplay, actress, 'casting' (is that a 'thing'?) and production design so they haven't ignored it, but no dice for Williams.

If the OST is complete, the Women Talking original score is only a few minutes longer than Fabelmans.  If we're considering these the two current front-runners for the Oscar, kind of interesting they're both quite short.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Well, he's not getting a Bafta:

https://www.bafta.org/film/longlists-2023-ee-BAFTA-film-awards

They've longlisted it for film, screenplay, actress, 'casting' (is that a 'thing'?) and production design so they haven't ignored it, but no dice for Williams.

This is one way to bring me back to reality….

The Fabelmans’ omission from the BAFTA selection may indicate that the bookmakers have been seriously overestimating Williams’ chances for an Oscar-win this year.

Of course either Women Talking or Babylon will take the award! 

That’s just the way the universe works I guess. 

We need more precursors to get a good sense of the race, it’s early yet.  Most of what we have right now is critic awards which are very “noisy” in terms of predictiveness.

The score category feels more wide open than usual this year that’s for sure.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

The score category feels more wide open than usual this year that’s for sure.

He'd have a better chance than usual if he wrote something outstanding and memorable but  I think The Fableman's is one of his weakest scores to date that sort of cancels his odds this year. 

All the years he wrote some of his most celebrated scores there was something else more hyped (HPSS vs LotR) or more gimmicky (ESB vs Fame, Raiders vs Chariots of Fire)

Lets see if he wins a Golden Globe tonight

Hmm, John Williams lost to Justin Hurwitz

JW was also in the audience...did he ever go to the Golden Globes before?

He did not, Hurwitz won for Babylon. He now has 4 wins from 4 nominations... tying with Williams, who has 4 wins from 27 nominations.

Not sure if that says more about Hurwitz or the state of modern film music.

EDIT: They cut to Williams and he looked so sad.

image.png

The Oscars is Hurwitz's to lose.

That said, I thought the same thing when he won the Golden Globes (the crappiest award in Hollywood) in 2018 for First Man, but then he wasn't even nominated for the Oscars for some reason.

Oh well i'm 4/5 guessing the winners so far...I thought Hildur would win score.

wait did a white guy who's last name is White just win something?

Hurwitz is sailing to an Oscar for his first score that I don’t especially like, while his superb score for First Man couldn’t even get a nomination.

Anyway, who cares about the Golden Globes?

Just watching for my Oscar predictions and I have nothing better to do

Guess the fatphobia Twitter backlash worked against Brendan Frazer for The Whale because he would have won 2 weeks ago.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

He did not, Hurwitz won for Babylon. He now has 4 wins from 4 nominations... tying with Williams, who has 4 wins from 27 nominations.

Not sure if that says more about Hurwitz or the state of modern film music.

EDIT: They cut to Williams and he looked so sad.

image.png

Was this from tonight? This kind of hurts my soul a little bit

it's my new signature...

to add insult to injury Spielberg is walking up the stage for winning best director to Williams theme

and he didn't thank JW in his speech

I don't think JW would be THAT sad after losing a Golden Globe. He lost the Oscar race a lot of times before (while also winning it in 5 occasions), why would he be that disappointed about a fucking Golden Globe - aka the shittiest award in Hollywood?