Evening at Pops this Sunday

MrScratch

I'm really pissed off. No PBS station in my area is showing Evening at Pops. I wouldn't mind so much missing it, except I really want to see Williams conduct 'Jane Eyre'. Could anyone tape it for me and mail me the tape??? Of course I will pay for the tape and shipping. You can email me directly at:

maestrojw2002@yahoo.com

Thanks!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here they´re airing the one called "Boston Pops Classics".

I hate what they´ve been doing the past couple of years. I miss the Friday nights at 9, when everthing elso on TV is boring.

:) "Remus" from Nemesis (Jerry)

I really would like to see the performance. I'd be willing to trade some CDRs or old 'Evening at Pops' videos.... anyone... anyone... Bueller... Bueller?

I'll record the audio on MD as usual for the Williams pieces.

K.M.Who expects Jane Eyre will be like the Pops Britannia performance

K.K.M.Who thinks the CMIYC suite won't be different form the c.d.

K.K.K.M.Wondering if Williams will conduct unreleased Last Crusade cues

K.K.K.K.M.Looking forwards to the HP suite,and hopes Williams won't talk over the music.

If it's anything like we saw in Washington D.C. there will be unreleased Last Crusade music, after young Indy falls into the car with the lion.

Neil

I'm thuroughly and utterly upset. :) It will not be showing in my area, and i have been anticipating this since it was anounced.

HPFAN-Who also missed the washington DC performance. :pukeface:

It's not playing at all?  Did you check for the whole week?

Neil

Nope. And there are THREE different PBS stations in my area. If ANYONE could just throw a tape in their VCR and catch this for me I would greatly appreciate it and, of course, pay for the tape and shipping! Nobody has contacted me yet.... :cry:

If anyone is taping this, contact me. I am also interested in that older one, with A.I. / For Always... I will pay for vhs and/or video-cd etc. mika.vidgren@nic.fi

-Snowster

I think you should check your local station´s schedule, they often move the show at different time and date... here in San Diego it will be on next week. In the L.A. stations I think it´s going to be at the end of the month.

This is weird. Tonight's actual show isn't going to be shown until Thursday, August 14, at 10 PM EST. That's nearly two weeks away. *shrug* Better than not seeing it at all...

I have both last year's and tonight's shows on tape now, though tonight's unfortunately has mildly irritating weather warning beeps throughout. I would be glad to help out Maestro and Snowster, so you guys can e-mail or PM me if you'ld like.

Ray Barnsbury

Tonights show was weak. The Last Crusade section is great, the rest is mediocre. The worst part occurred when Nancy Wilson was singing a song by Williams, while he was playing piano. Right in the middle of the song, they cut to Nancy Wilson talking about the song, right while Williams is playing. What a dissapointment. If I was Elvis Presley I would have shot out my TV.

Neil

Tonight's show was good, though I would have liked to see him conduct more of his own music. The Last Crusade piece was excellent; I loved how he showed the scene with no music explaining how the music would go and then conducted it to near perfection. I had never seen him do anything like that in concert, only heard about it. The catch Me If You Can suite was very good as well, featuring more of the sax then was in the score itself, which I liked. The Float was the highlight I felt, seeing all the different instruments individually give the piece so much energy.

After that, he brought out singer Nancy Wilson and played a few Jazz numbers. The standout was seeing him play the piano to one of the songs, since I have never seen him play piano before, at least an entire piece. Unsurprisingly, he did a marvelous job. The concert was overall very enjoyable, and I did manage to get it on tape - on the same tape that I recorded the Fourth of July concert. I have myself a John Williams in concert video tape in the works!

Ted

Spoilers!! Nooo!!!

j/k

I hate when they do that... ever since Williams left the Pops and they changed sponsors they do too many of this "interviews" and they keep talking over the music, of course now when Williams is on Williams is music is featured, but sometimes incomplete and again, the talking over the music. I don´t like this. I wish they would tape a concert at the Hollywood Bowl, or Chicago and air it as a "Great Performances" special, or hat the New York concert is broadcasted as "Live from Lincoln Center".

Tonights show was weak.  The Last Crusade section is great, the rest is mediocre.  The worst part occurred when Nancy Wilson was singing a song by Williams, while he was playing piano.  Right in the middle of the song, they cut to Nancy Wilson talking about the song, right while Williams is playing.  What a dissapointment.  If I was Elvis Presley I would have shot out my TV.

Neil

Did the pops play Jane Eyre? and would you mind giving a lil more detail on the LC portion??

Thanks

Lou

No they did not broadcast the Jane Eyre selections, which REALLY irritated me, as they instead showed I think five songs with Nancy Wilson, whose voice I relly did not enjoy very much. I agree, though, that The Last Crusade portion was fascinating. Hearing him talk through the track without music and describe how the music would go (as if he had been talking to Spielberg about it), and then seeing the orchestra perform the music along with the visuals was very cool. And the CMIYC suite was nice too. I would have liked more Williams music of course, though I did really enjoy the selection from Herrmann's Citizen Kane.

Ray Barnsbury

The concert was overall very enjoyable, and I did manage to get it on tape - on the same tape that I recorded the Fourth of July concert. I have myself a John Williams in concert video tape in the works!

Ha! I did the same thing. :wave:

Like Ray, I also have the thunderstorm warnings running across the bottom of the screen though. I thought it was a good concert, but I too would have liked to have heard Jane Eyre and less Nancy Wilson. It was great to see the Last Crusade portion again and it was definitely my highlight.

~Mari

yeah,I mean Williams has one show a year,I don't want to hear film music that's not his.

Williams has one show a year and, for once, I don't want to hear his or anyone else's film music. Just his classical pieces. Not even his concert pieces.

Dan--who thinks JW's classical pieces are neglected far too much.

Yes,all those classical pieces and fanfares that haven't been released on C.D. yet,Williams could very well use the Pops specials to provide his fans with a clean broadcast(no voice over)performance of some sort,especially if a c.d. is not planned anytime soon.

but your right ,i don't care about recording a 1000000th version of The Flying Theme or the Star Wars Main Titles.

K.M.

Williams has one show a year and, for once, I don't want to hear his or anyone else's film music. Just his classical pieces. Not even his concert pieces.

Is that a contradiction or I don´t understand what you´re trying to say.

:wave: Symphony No. 11 (Shostakovich)

I'm actually pretty anxious to hear CMIYC and possibly LC. It's not so bad when Johnny conducts rare stuff like non-Star Wars non-concert pieces. For instance, if he conducted "Learning the Ropes" or "Deadheading", that would be quite sweet (rather than "suite", like all the others). Even the rare concert pieces are decent enough. "The Float" or "Minority Report" would both be acceptable. A concert suite of Nixon would be nice. Angela's Ashes...I'm not sure about. It would have to include every minute of "Plenty of Fish and Chips in Heaven".

I envy you that you have opportunity to watch John Williams' concert on TV. Unfortunatelly in your country we have no film music concerts and no TV stations bradcasting them :wave:

So I would be very very grateful for every videorecording of any John Williams' film music concert on CD-R (AVI, MPEG, DAT or MOV) or PAL VHS!! If you can help me with that please let me know. My e-mail is: e-wan@cswu.cz

Thank you so much.

E-Wan

Boooooooooo!!!

Here in the Los Angeles area the tv guide showed that the new JW concert would be airing tonight at 10:00. Sooo...I tune in, get the recorders set and what comes up? An older JW concert - the one with Harry Connick Jr. I'm still glad to see this one, but I was REALLY looking forward to the new one! It doesn't look like they're going to play the new one at all, I can't find a listing! Can you believe it? What gives!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I'm recording it on VHS and digitally into a 24 bit Pro Tools session to make a CD. If anyone is interested in trading, let me know via e-mail.

Best,

Eric

Boooooooooo!!!

Here in the Los Angeles area the tv guide showed that the new JW concert would be airing tonight at 10:00.  Sooo...I tune in, get the recorders set and what comes up?  An older JW concert - the one with Harry Connick Jr.  I'm still glad to see this one, but I was REALLY looking forward to the new one!  It doesn't look like they're going to play the new one at all, I can't find a listing!  Can you believe it?  What gives!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I'm recording it on VHS and digitally into a 24 bit Pro Tools session to make a CD.  If anyone is interested in trading, let me know via e-mail.

Best,

Eric

I missed that show when they aired it here in SD, I could have taped that show, but I don´t have the DirectTV card... in what channel was that? 24, 28? Or 50 or 58?

I hope I can tape the show in a weeknight rather than the usual weekend showing.

:) Insurrection