Goldsmith - Chain Reaction

thestat

Such an underappreciated score - the Ice Chase riff makes up only a part of the score. the rest is vintage 90s Jerry@

To clarify, the Ice Chase riff destroyed Jerry for me in the mid 1990s. It is so lazy and annoying. I can't imagine what he had to have gone through to produce that.

For Yavar and the Goldsmith afficianados, this score completely was destroyed by Varese's selection of tracks - Ice Chase is boring as fuck from a musical perspective, it's the supposed showcase for a crappy 20th century fox film. How about this Jerry attidude track:

The Goldsmith work here is amazing. Jesus. on a by the numbers Keanu action thing.

I really enjoy the full Deluxe Edition. I can’t say I was a big fan of the score in its original truncated form.

I honestly really enjoy the unique flavor from how Goldsmith uses the electric guitar, and I like this score quite a bit more than US Marshals/Executive Decision/Air Force One.

Yavar

7 hours ago, thestat said:

To clarify, the Ice Chase riff destroyed Jerry for me in the mid 1990s. It is so lazy and annoying. I can't imagine what he had to have gone through to produce that.

That's an easy one: it was a short alert GoldsmithTM motif that would cut through a barrage of sound effects and effectively sold the typical action beats of the 90's (note that it is often used a the beginning of transitions to big locations). For super-economic Goldsmith, it was clear that he would use it in much more widespread fashion as narrative device, because that's how he approached scoring.

It worked really best in 'Air Force One', all the others could have done without it. To claim 'Ice Chase' is boring as fuck in light of what action music has become in the last 25 years is ridiculous, though.